To All A Goodnight First Killer Santa Movie Any Good?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

2. Katatonia

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

4. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Probably because a non-genre label released it, so the reviewers who got the screeners where more used to upscale fare, for had a genre label like Scream released it, I think a different set of critics would have reviewed it and been more favorable.

5. Katatonia

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Watched TO ALL A GOODNIGHT this weekend. I'm easy to please when it comes to slashers but still found this to be a chore to sit through. I didn't mind the cast, there are some decent kills but its never interesting, suspenseful or funny. The many ways in which the film is poorly made didn't bother me either. Its just boring as hell. Scorpion did an excellent job with the BD. Maybe I'll give it another shot in a few years.

7. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

The pacing is certainly the biggest flaw of TAAGN. It has many murders, a few moments of difference among other slashers, a creepy Santa mask, pretty Christmas decor... but its still quite boring. I've seen it about 4 times, most recently on DVD, and even though it makes the most of its budget, it's a snail in all. This may have to do with Runyon, cute as she is, being a less interesting final girl, and the editing/music doesn't have impact. Watch the axe murder from Friday the 13th and then watch the couple being killed while having sex in TAAGN. It doesn't have the same strength as Cunningham's.

8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I watched the VHS back in the day and thought it was a snoozer.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Could never get into this one-dull.

11. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Sue me but I thought it was fun.

12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

This movie sucks however it's so obscure I'm happy to have it in my collection.

13. streetlight

streetlight Member

One of the most memorable Saturday mornings in my life was when I went to a video store in a small town in 2006 or so and was blown away by the $2.50 tapes they had. I bought about $80 worth, including Terror At Tenkiller, Terror on Tape, No Place to Hide...and To All A Goodnight.

I actually really like this movie, although the tape was too dark so I can't wait to check out in Blu Ray.

14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I just watched the Blu and am totally psyched as to how good it looks! What an awesome upgrade. And this flick still holds up well in my book, totally enjoyed it and was a great holiday viewing.

The upgrade from VHS to DVD/Blu is very similar to Humongous. The old VHS is VERY dark and very hard to tell what's going on at certain times. With this new transfer the darkness is almost completely gone, but there's a few scenes where you can tell it was shot during the day. I guess on the VHS release they must have used some sort of filter or adjusted the contrast to help make it look like a night time scene. Nonetheless, it's all good. Very cool to actually see so many things I never noticed before.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I've watched about 40mins of this so far and agree with those that say it's not so good. The sad part is there's some decent ideas that come up that just aren't executed well and it suffers from uninteresting characters and just plain annoying ones.

So far I think the setting had potential as it looks interesting but is never used well or shot in a stylish manner. A brief scene with a suit of amour was pretty neat but rather quick and lacked the shock value it seemed to be going for. There's also a scene with a virgin about to get laid by an attractive girl that I thought was genuinely funny.

The bad parts so far are the directing which is rather lacking as scenes feel bland most of the time and things like kills have no impact as they just kind of happen. Then there's the characters that never have much interesting to say and end up saying pretty stupid things at times that had me laughing at how dumb it was. One scene in particular is near the start of the film where the girls are having dinner. The innocent/good girl claims to have seen something outside yet where she is sitting she's facing a wall and the murder that happened just before (which I can only assume is what she's on about) happens way out at the front of this mansion/dorm they live in. It makes no sense.

The most annoying character is the care taker who is given terrible (corny) lines and delivers them even worse.

I'll have to finish watching it soon but so far it hasn't been too great.