To The Devil a Daughter

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Suicide, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I couldn't find anything mentioned about this movie here, any thoughts? I noticed it's one that's been left off of Anchor Bay's upcoming double features, and I found someone who has it for trade, but I'm not sure if I want it yet. It's between this 2019 which I've seen and found hilarious, but I don't know if I need to own that one, or The Last Picture Show. It doesn't matter, the dvd I'm trading off is a free copy of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind I got in a Buy 2 Get 1 free sale, so it's no huge loss if I don't like but as always I thought I'd get some opinions here before.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I believe this was the last hammer film every made. Overall i didn't care for it too much. Though it had a couple of good moments. If you haven't seen it yet, Before you buy it I would give it a rental.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, this film is much maligned. Most every review I've found of it has nasty things to say.

However, I have the AB disc and it's not that bad, really. Keep in mind though, the ending is pathetic. It was grafted on after they realized the original ending was the same as Scars of Dracula. :D

They also grafted on a full frontal nude shot of Kinski, which, while hugely pleasurable to watch, does come across as being out of place and a little odd.

The pacing will is probably what bothers people the most. Most films start with some monumentous event, and things roll from there. This movie though, eases itself onto the screen. The plot just starts, without anything really dramatic happening, rolling to it's flawed conclusion. The journey though, if you don't have a need for lots of action, was interesting.

As a disc, this one comes with a great documentary about the film that last about an hour. Apparently Richard Widmark was a complete jerk. That must have made things fun!

I'm actually glad I own this one.

4. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

I quite like this one, despite the critiscisms. I used to live near the churchyard/mausoleum used at the end, and it was odd to walk past it and think Christopher Lee was in there getting hit in the head with a rock. Incidentally, Tori Amos got married there as well.

5. InkyWretch

InkyWretch Guest

This is probably my least favorite Hammer film plot-wise, but who needs plot when you've got a nude shot of Kinski? :)