To upgrade to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD or not to Upgrade

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by KR~!, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Will you upgrade within the next 5 years?

1. YES - to Blu-Ray

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. YES - to HD-DVD

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. YES - to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. NO - I'll just keep buying DVDs instead

32 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I want to see what Hardcore DVD fans think of this, that means you all.

2. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I said yes to HD DVD but if Bluray wins out then yes to it.

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'll stick with DVD, i'm more than happy with this formal for the forseable future!

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

DVD for me until the industry forces an upgrade or for some reason I come into a ton of money. HD isn't a priority for me and that money can be better spent elsewhere.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Until one format wins dominance, I'll stick with DVD. And even then it would be a slow transition. I'm just not very excited about either format, ho hum.

6. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Exactly how I feel.

Thanks for including a timeframe in the poll. I'm still not entirely sold on higher quality DVDs. I'm sure they will look and sound better, but really, I am pretty happy with what I have. When I watch a buddy's HD-TV, it is amazing--provided the content makes sense:

1). Sports. Looks great in HD, you can make out details in the crowd, the field, etc. And I'm not even that big of a sports fan.

2). Local news. Laughable in HD. Now I can see the layers upon layers of makeup caked on the faces of the highly overpaid talking heads..... Pointless and distracting.

With my tastes in movies, I don't really feel the need to look that much closer at the films. I understand its appeal, but I don't feel like the films I enjoy the most would benefit that much from HD--or, maybe, my viewing experience wouldn't benefit. Future films? Sure. But like Ginger Snaps, Evil Dead, Waxwork, etc. Do I really need to see the makeup on the actors in these films? Am I missing details in the backgrounds? Also, I'd be afraid that getting a closer look at some of the older or lower-budget films might take away the magic.

Isn't there some saying, like, "Don't sit too close to the ballet stage"? Meaning, you can hear the dancers jumping and landing when you are that close, and it takes away from their grace. I'm not saying this applies to all High Def. DVDs, of course; there will be plenty of films that benefit from the transfers, and make the viewings all the more better.

But as others have stated, I'm fine with the transfers I have on the films I enjoy--for the next 5 years.

7. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

I don't really see a lot of consumer interest in either format yet.

I think that either one would be a tough sell even without the format war. If you're not a home theater enthusiast or a gadget freak, then all of this alphabet soup shit -- HDMI, 780p, 1040i -- isn't going to make a lot of sense.

Unless something really dramatic starts to happen, I see both formats going to the consumer electronics graveyard with Beta, minidisc, SACD, DAT, and DVD Audio.

The problem is that DVD is a killer app. It hit at the right time and gave consumers everything they wanted... high resolution, high capacity, on a small, cheap disc. DVD players are ubiquitous... your grandparents probably have at least one.

It's going to be an uphill battle for ANY format to supplant DVD.

I have often heard people claim that HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray might settle into a niche like laser disc, but I sort of doubt it. The Hollywood studios and hardware manufacturers want these formats to replace DVD, so if they don't take off I could see them abandoning them both.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

HD-DVD is so much more affordable, atleast in terms of the player, so I'd go with that. As I assume I would have upgraded in five years.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So far I'm not that impressed yet. I think I'll wait until one of new formats drops off, and prices come way down.

Hell, I still watch some movies on vhs.

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I can't say for sure I won't in the next 5 years, but I have no plans to.
    HD looks to be the better of the 2 evils, with a much cheaper price and the demos I've seen look nice.
    There's a Blu-Ray demo at Best Buy that looks so much like shit it's amazing they even bother playing it. Colors look fake and forced, lots of grain in some shots, just laughable. Not sure if it's a bad set-up or not properly tuned, but to have that and the player sitting under it with a $999 is just hilarious IMO.

11. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Is it the same one I've seen?

There's one they play with a Pirates of the Caribbean clip that doesn't look any better than standard DVD, and an Aeon Flux clip that looks like absolute shit -- the colors are so washed out and it's so grainy and noisy that it looks like analog cable with shitty reception.

There's also a CGI-Chicken Little clip that looks really excellent, but anything from film elements looks dreadful.

12. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I will run another poll in five years ;)

13. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Yeah, those numbers are pretty damning, considering it's a "horrorDVDs" board.

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I think it's that none of our favorite films have been released in BR or HD-DVD, so we have no reason to switch.

I don't know how many horror and cult films will even be release in hi-def.

That is one of the big reasons I don't plan on switching, well that and the money :)

15. bigdaddyhorse

No this one is (at least all I ever see of it before turning away) the trailer for 50 First Dates and the first XXX. 50 looks decent, nice clear and sharpe, but colors are over-done and almost cartoonish. Then XXX comes on and it's grainy & muted looking colors. Very un-impressive to say the least.

16. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

No to Blu-ray and HD DVD. The insanity must stop somewhere.

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'm very excited. Anything that improves on DVD is good by me. However two things need to happen:

1. A single format needs to win out.

2. Region-free players need to be readily available.

Meet that criteria and I'm happy to go one step ahead of the current standard.

18. bigdaddyhorse

I'll also probably wait until I can burn my own discs, but with the size of those things I'll probably need a bigger computer.
    Plus I don't think anything will gained by transfering my laserdiscs and VHS tapes to HD/BD like there is transfering them to dvd.
    I'm more than happy with dvd for now, esp. since I can make my own.

Just looked at the totals for the first time, seems NO-ONE is looking forward to Blu. Youse guys (and gals) is smart'ns!;)

19. rp108

rp108 Guest

Now that the 360 will have an HD-DVD drive (attachement) for $200, I am much more likley to jump into the format wars sooner but it would take a serious release that is not available on DVD, something like Dead Alive uncut.

20. bigdaddyhorse

It just keeps going back to being region free doesn't it?:D
    Unfortunately I only have a dub of the 1st Red Edition, looks like there's a much better one now in Germany.