To upgrade to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD or not to Upgrade

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by KR~!, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Will you upgrade within the next 5 years?

1. YES - to Blu-Ray

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. YES - to HD-DVD

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. YES - to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. NO - I'll just keep buying DVDs instead

32 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm probably going to move over to Blu-ray within the next five years, I plan on getting into it next fall. I know there's a lot to be improved over DVD and I don't underestimate how good even movies like The Evil Dead can look. So long as it's on film we've still got a long ways to go before we can really show how much detail is on each frame of film. Watching MonsterHD shows even with movies like Wolf Man (1941) there's a lot left to give; but of course there is as these were shot on 35mm. Quality that's 4x higher than even HD.

It actually disapoints me to see people consider 480p to be the pinnacle of what horror can achieve, akin to people saying horror is only good for teenagers in heat. Someone says they're the biggest fan of TCM on the planet but then goes on to say that DVD can't have much detail beyond VHS and I can't believe that they would think so low of their favorite film to think so poorly of the film elements and the talent of all those involved in the production.

There's a literal rich tapestry left to be discovered to the films we love. The limitations of video up until now have hidden from us what's really on those reels of film.

2. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

The problem for me with upgrading is just that nothing I want is out on HD-DVD or BR. So long as the future players are backwards compatible with DVD, I'll probably get one next time I have to buy a player. But no way am I upgrading my dvd collection to some HD format, I am not buying the same movies multiple times.

3. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

I've been with HD-DVD from basically the beginning. I have no issues with upgrading my movies to HD. I started with VHS, moved to LD, then on to DVD. this is just the next step for me. of course I have a 57" 1080i HDTV so that helps. next year I'm moving up to a 1080p set so it will be even better then.

if Blu-Ray works out the kinks and gets as good as HD I'll get that too.

now have I stopped buying regular DVD? nope, and I have no plans to at this point. region free players for HD are not a concern for me at this point.

I find it strange that people complain about doing upgrades just because these discs are HD encoded when they had no major issues with buying some flicks over and over again just for something like an anamorphic print.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I swear I just read some comments on dvdreview the other night that HD-DVD players aren't region coded yet, and some early adaptors there already have some HD titles from Japan and elsewhere that aren't available in the US. I think one was something that was just announced for Blu-Ray here, but is HD there.
    I'll post a link or quote if I come across it again later.

5. chrishicks

yep. as of right now HD-DVD players are region free for HD only discs. I've seen a list of BD exclusives for the US being released on HD-DVD overseas.

here's a bit of info on German HD-DVD releases:

On HD-DVD available in Germany 11/20 with no region coding: (Canal Plus)

1080p/24 VC-1 encoded (output at 1080i/60 on the HD-A1, same as US encodes with no PAL speedup = fully compatible with US hardware)

Total Recall

The Fog (Carpenter)

First Blood (Stallone)

The Elephant Man

King Kong (Jeff Bridges)

The Pianist

La Haine

Early 2007

Terminator 2

Mullholland Drive

Traffic

http://www.areadvd.de/news/2006/IFA...V_PHE_UPV.shtml

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

That's another cool factor that has me leaning towards HD when I do end up upgrading. Does that mean those hd/dvd combos here are region coded on both sides?
    Then again, I can't get away from the fun of making my own, don't have the money or equipment to upgrade now, and there's just not enough titles I would even want on either format (although I am interested in hearing about that HD Full Metal Jacket. It says it's in 1.78, which I'm guessing is just matted from the 4:3 of every other release on any format).

Yep, here's the quote I saw on dvdreview from Eddy who's been in the HD camp since day one.
    Thankfully HD DVDs have no region coding, so any title can be played on the Toshiba players. I already have the Equilibrium HD DVD from Japan, which would be BD here.

7. chrishicks

here's a link with quite a few releases in different regions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hddvd/movies.aspx#all

United States

12 Monkeys
    Army of Darkness
    Batman Begins
    Best of True Music
    Bikini Destinations: Hawaii
    Bikini Destinations: Mexico
    Bubble
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Chic Corea: Rendevouz in New York
    The Corpse Bride
    Discovery's Historic Mission
    Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
    Galaxina
    Globetrotters: A Gift For the Troops
    Golgo 13
    Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire
    The Interpreter
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Lethal Weapon
    The Matrix
    Mission: Impossible III
    The Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up Live
    The Polar Express
    Poseidon
    Shawshank Redemption
    Slither
    Spartacus
    Syriana
    The Thing
    Troy
    Waist Deep
    The War Within
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    World Cafe: Joshua Redman
    World Cafe: Rhett Miller
    World Extreme Cagefighting: Halloween Fury
    World Extreme Cagefighting: Unfinished Business

Belgium

Ali
    Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Brotherhood Of The Wolf (Le Pacte Des Loups)
    The City Of The Lost Children (La Cité Des Enfants Perdus)
    Don't Look Now, We've Being Shot At (La Grande Vadrouille)
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Hate (La Haine)
    Million Dollar Baby
    Mulholland Drive
    The Pianist
    The Red Circle (Le Cercle Rouge)
    Serpico
    The Shadow Army (L'armée Des Ombres)
    Terminator 2
    Three Days Of The Condor
    Traffic

Denmark

Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Hate (La Haine)
    The Pianist
    Three Days Of The Condor

Finland

Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Hate (La Haine)
    The Pianist
    Three Days Of The Condor

France

Ali
    Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Hate (La Haine)
    Million Dollar Baby
    Mulholland Drive
    The Pianist
    Serpico
    Terminator 2
    Three Days Of The Condor
    Traffic

Germany

Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Hate (La Haine)
    Serpico
    Terminator 2
    Three Days Of The Condor

Netherlands

Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Hate (La Haine)
    Terminator 2
    Three Days Of The Condor

Norway

Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Hate (La Haine)
    The Pianist
    Three Days Of The Condor

Sweden

Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Hate (La Haine)
    The Pianist
    Three Days Of The Condor

Switzerland

Ali
    Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Hate (La Haine)
    Million Dollar Baby
    Mulholland Drive
    The Pianist
    Serpico
    Terminator 2
    Three Days Of The Condor
    Traffic

United Kingdom

Arizona Dream
    Basic Instinct
    Elephant Man
    The Fog
    Mulholland Drive
    The Pianist
    Terminator 2

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

As I've said before, I could care less about either Blu-ray or HD-DVD. I'm perfectly happy with the quality of plain ol' DVD and am going to stick with it. I don't think either of these formats will catch on because DVD is still relatively recent; it's only been around for about ten years. Quality is certainly important, but I don't need every little physical detail in a film to pop out at me.

9. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I've invested too much in my DVD collection (and in LD before that). I'll stick with DVD until there is clearly a reason to move on. I don't seriously see that happening for at least ten years.

I don't even own an HD-TV yet.

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I have no plans of upgrading anytime soon. I love my DVD collection and it would cost way too much to upgrade them all.

On top of it, the new formats are pretty much only useful if you have a Hi-Def TV which are way too expensive right now.

And most importantly pretty much all the new HD DVD and Blu Ray discs suck in comparison to DVDs in the extras department, which just doens't make sense and makes the new formats a joke! A lot of the new discs don't come out in the unrated versions, and most of the extras are left off (Especially with Blu Ray)! None of them really have anything new, other than a video commentary or something.

Like they haven't really given any one a reason to run out and buy them, other than the better picture. eah...

When I first heard about the new formats I was thinking they'd have all the extras from all the different DVDs out (ex. the 4 disc extras from LOTR with the 2 disc extras), making them the ultimate version, but they haven't! I was thinking lots of cool new extras, they haven't! And one of the other big things they mentioned before launch was the extra space, that would allow you to fit a season set on 1 or 2 discs as upposed to DVDs 7 discs, but because the Hi Def picture takes up so much space, it ends up being the same thing. Last I heard, Black Hawk Dwon was coming out on Blu Ray as a 3 disc set.

Anyways, like DVD, I think it will be a few years before any format catches on, and that I when I will decide if I'm ready to upgrade. Hopefully the players as well as TVs will be a lot cheaper, and hopefully that is when they will start making the discs that will blow you away (As pretty much all the earlier DVDs suck now and I have had to double dip)! and make you need the new format! Until that time... if it ever comes (could be another laser disc), I will hold out.

11. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

If I do upgrade, it would be HD-DVD, but that is awhile off. There is only two movies that are out or coming out that I would want to buy, 'House Of Wax' and 'The Thing'. but I don't want to plop down $500 Dollars just to watch it in high def. Alot of movies I like have just recently came out on DVD, and if it took them 10 years to come out, imagine how long it will take to come out on HD-DVD, and some may never, like 'Clownhouse.' Not to mention the whole format war with split studios. Just seems pointless to make the upgrade, even though I have a high-def TV. I still watch many VHS tapes and still enjoy them as I wait for their DVD release.

12. chrishicks

in regards to bonus features, HD-DVD has done a fine job of porting over every extra from their SD counterparts. we're even starting to see new HD-DVD exclusive features. the bonus features issue(lack of) is just exclusive to Blu-Ray right now.

13. chrishicks

that is the reason to upgrade. its no different from upgrading from VHS to DVD. HD-DVD offers better image/sound than DVD.

I still think they should have waited a few more yrs. before releasing it but, oh well, its here now and I, as well as others, are enjoying it.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The advantages of upgrading from VHS to DVD, though, amounted to more than simply having better image and sound and probably the secondary advantages such as userfriendliness (chapter skipping, no rewind) had more to do with killing VHS than the primary "selling points" did.

15. Fumi

Fumi Member

I'm perfectly happy with DVD. Hell, it took 10 years for them to start releasing all the obscure stuff I'm interested in on DVD, there's no way I'm waiting another 10 years for them to do it again on another format. And I really doubt anybody is going to come out with immaculately restored editions of all these low budget '80s slashers and stuff I watch anyway. An there's absolutely no way I'm spending thousands more on a Hi-Def TV and replacing my entire DVD collection.

Besides, this technology is mostly designed to make the latest Hollywood features look better. And as long as Hollywood continues to put out nothing but absolute shit, I have no interest in seeing it at all - much less in high definition.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

This is a really good point.

Also, the cost of switching over is crazy, much different than switching over from VHS. From VHS, all the consumer needed was a new DVD player, followed by DVDs. For many people (myself included), this switch was aided by the PS2, which was affordable. The switchover--again, not for everyone, but for many--was nicely timed. Since then, the price of players has dropped and I imagine many have switched to nicer players (God, I hope so).

Now, the consumer needs an HD TV, an HD DVD Player, and HD DVDs. That HD TV is the kicker. Ouch. And hey, what do you know, the PS3 and XBox 360 will have Blu-Ray/HD DVD capabilities--but man, do you ever pay for it.

The upgrade just doesn't seem as necesary. VHS tapes were a pain and the cost of eliminating them wasn't very tough to swallow.

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

I will upgrade to HD-DVD. Specifically, I'll get the Xbox 360 addon for $200 that comes with King Kong HD + the remote.

But my buying habits have completely changed. When I got into LD, I was buy too much. Same when DVD hit. Now I buy stuff I generally consider a 'must own'. I can use netflix for DVD (and HD-DVD) rentals.

So I'll get HD-DVD, but will be selective with my purchases. A few must owns (and double dibs): AWIL, Land of the Dead. No rush to buy, though. I'll wait until November, get an HD-DVD drive, and go from there.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Indeed, and other factors as well. VHS tapes wear out ever-so-slightly after every time they're played, which adds up to be noticable after a while. DVD's are digital, so they don't have that analog wear like tapes do.

And there was no such thing as a true multi-VHS system. Well, there were those Go-Video two-decks dubbers... but with DVD you can now get a 5-disc, or 200-disc changer.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray just doesn't offer the advantages that DVD had over VHS.

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

Not in the examples you refer to, but all HD formats are significant improvements over standard DVD. Twice the resolution, higher bitrates, better audio. Those are significant improvements - not for Joe Sixpack, but for home theater enthusiasts.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The store displays that I've seen of both players didn't look so hot, as many others have mentioned on here in other threads.

The poll results aren't really too surprising, as you mentioned it's a niche market for enthusiasts.