To upgrade to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD or not to Upgrade

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by KR~!, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Will you upgrade within the next 5 years?

1. YES - to Blu-Ray

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. YES - to HD-DVD

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. YES - to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. NO - I'll just keep buying DVDs instead

32 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Dave

Dave Pimp

How so? Poor picture or what? It's definitely case by case. Just like DVD when it was introduced, there will be subpar releases. Jump on over to AVS Forum and you'll see that HD-DVD certainly can strut its' stuff.

2. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

ok, you mention dvd changers. how many dvd changers were there on the market 6 months into release of dvd? some of you guys act like HD will never be better than its current state. I seem to remember alot of dvds back in 1997 that couldn't compare to those now. everything can improve with time.

HD-DVD has a major improvement in A/V compared to DVD. you just can't go by those Best Buy displays since I hardly doubt they are calibrated properly. hell, HD looks better on my 4 year old HDTV than it does on their top of the line modern stuff.

when I bought my HDTV there was just a bit of HD programming. now I have more options(cable, xbox360, hd-dvd, blu-ray and soon the ps3) so I look forward to purchasing more content for my HD viewing pleasure. if you already have an HDTV this just makes a great addon.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That wasn't the point. The point was that there were no VHS changers in the 20+ years VHS was the dominant video format. There are DVD changers today. That's only one significant improvement of DVD over VHS. I have no doubt that at some point there will be changers for hi def discs, but that isn't an improvement over DVD, merely equal.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Both formats aren't worth the money or time because they were greedy (Especially Sony, as I heard HD DVD was trying to make a deal in the end), and now we have a format war.

I don't see how anyone can waste that much moeny in any system until there is a clear winner as there is a good chance that a couple years from now one won't be around.

And yeah the picture is a lot nicer, but they haven't put out anyhting that stands out and makes me say, holy shit I need that! When they put out an ultimate Star Wars or LOTR set with everything you could possibly imagine than maybe... But until than, no way! Blu Ray is shit, and HD DVD is just putting out DVDs that have already been released but with a bit better picture and sound.

I'm not saying I'll never buy one as that would be crazy to say at this time. But until there is a clear winner, and they have must have discs that you can't get on DVD for half the price, than I say no!

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

I really don't think there is going to be a format war. We're in a different era than the VHS versus Beta days. There's already been talk of a company making a player that plays both. War over. There are other factors, but an affordable player that plays both certainly solves a lot of problems for consumers.

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

This is the real truth of the matter. I'm still waiting for Zapped!, Phantasm II and III, and so very many obscure 80's films that I care about to either hit dvd or be released in SE's. I think DVD has finally surpassed laserdisc for total titles, but there are still so many that haven't shown up.

I don't think Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will be producing those kinds of films for a long time, if ever. Criterion still hasn't even moved over and they're pretty early adopters.

Folks, these formats aren't even as popular as UMD yet...and we know what happened to that.

So anyone wanna buy a D-VHS recorder? It's never been used.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

The market will determine what surives and what doesn't. It's all about profit. HD is the future. Agreed it will take some time before companies like Anchor Bay start releasing for it. That's fine. I'll still take my popcorn flicks in HD, along with flicks sci-fi classics like Alien and what not. On my system I'll doubt I'll see much difference between standard DVD and HD-DVD or blu-ray. But if it's available in HD now, and it's something I want to own, I'll get it now.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You're right, but they were filmed on 35mm film which has 4 times the resolution as common 1080p HD today. So what's so useless about it?

The thing is though, HD can silently replace SD-DVD. When prices are the same as SD-DVD players they'll just drop whole format and stick with HD-DVD or Blu-ray. You can enjoy such HD features as menus and extras which play overlaid on the movie screen and more space so you need less discs. Even on an SD-TV. Won't look as pretty as a 62" DLP but it'll get the same job done, probably a touch better too.

Eventually that's all that'll be left on the shelf, HD. It's backwards compatible, much more so than VHS. You can bring your broken SD-DVD or SD-TV into the shop one fine day and walk out with an HD player that'll do that same thing for the same price. "Ooops, I went HD." HD-DVD is already MSRP at $500, it doesn't have all that far to go.

9. chrishicks

I take it you don't buy many new products, correct? HD-DVD players can be purchased for under 500.00. that is comparable to first gen DVD but with more features. you have to realize that it shouldn't be classified as a waste because people want HD discs. people want it so they made it. no one is being forced at gunpoint to buy into it(yet ;)). just remember, if it wasn't for all of us who jumped on DVD when it hit way back when because it could have been a waste we may still be watching good old VHS.

apples and oranges here. UMD offered nothing new except paying a higher price for a UMD movie than its DVD counterpart which also included features and could be played on regular dvd players as well as pcs with dvd drives.

take a look at this review and tell me a UMD or DVD can offer this:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/fastandthefurioustokyodrift.html

it can only get better from here.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Exactly!

11. Chad

Chad Member

At this point...no way! I won't be making the transition until ONE HD format to rule all formats is settled upon by the studios. Until then, I'm waiting for this 1980's VHS vs BetaMax format war redux to play out and have one of them inevitably die a horrible death.

12. Damed

Damed Guest

I caved.

I'm the proud new owner of a Toshiba HD-A1.

13. chrishicks

I never did say congrats, so congrats. :)

so, how are you liking it so far? what titles do you currently have?

14. Damed

Damed Guest

Fantastic. I am in love.

I watched The Corpse Bride tonight. I only have that and Aeon Flux so far.

The Corpse Bride is... incredible. Jawdropping. The detail is just unbelievable, it almost looks 3D... I've never seen anything like it. With this title, I'd say with confidence that the quality improvement from DVD to HDDVD is on par with, if not greater than VHS to DVD.

The review on DVDTALK:

Says it all. Wow. Colour me impressed, and CERTAINLY money well spent.

15. Franco

Franco Weekender

Hey, any updates on the war of the formats? In Brazil, the Blu-Ray is entering strong. Is it also winning up there in the first world?

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

This battle is gonna go back and forth i think several times- and its a very odd format war- a player is out that plays both now and there is a movie out that you can play in either player. So will blu-ray win or hd- dvd win or will they both win with neither dying off? All I can say is hd-dvd has my support but it will be at least another year before anyone is gonna have even the slightest idea what might happen. (perhaps quite a bit longer even) (and I saw the corpse bride on my xbox 360 hddvd player- and it was truly amazing)

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Bump.

It's interesting to go back and see where we were five years ago. I voted "no" on this poll and was almost right: I held out for 4 years and 8 months. :)