Toolbox Murders remake out in Holland

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cyberdemon, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon Guest

From DVD Talk Forum
    "The remake of The Toolbox Murders (directed by Tobe Hooper) has gone straight to dvd here in The Netherlands. I know it's has been out for a while in Brazil, but that disc is mucho expensive. I saw it a month ago on a Dutch rental-disc, and i enjoyed it more than the original. That was a straightforward slasher, but this has a lot more influences. Actually it's almost a totally different movie. I'm not gonna buy it, but i would give it 3 out of 5 stars... It's €14.99 in shops here, and already in the 3 for €33 bins. I got a link for you guys, if you're interested:"

http://www.freerecordshop.com/pages/productview.asp?ProductID=454588#

Is this worth getting?

2. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

I am interested in seeing this but it sounds more like a rental than a purchase title.

So I can wait for the USA DVD release.

As far as I know it is comming out here ... sometime.

Who knows maybe I'll rent it and like it enough to buy it!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I didn't really get to much of a kick out of the original, but I'll check this one out anyway.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

5. Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon Guest

Anybody know when the R1 release is due?

6. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I'm not sure when this is coming out, but I'm willing to bet that this will be better than the original. I'll rent it when it comes out.

7. Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon Guest

Was the remake actually any good?

8. evileye

evileye Member

Actually, it's not too bad (coming from someone who has hated Tobe's work of late). Set your sights low and you might be surprised. Angela Betts and some nasty gore bits helped. There are some moments of style (but it's no FUNHOUSE).

9. Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon Guest

Doesn't sound like it warrants an expensive import - I'll just bide my time for the R1 version.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Watched the Holland DVD today, enjoyed the movie. It's almost nothing like the original. The gritty sleaze is gone, the remake has a mystery plot about the apartment complex instead. Murder scenes are nasty at times but rather dark ... not sure if this was intended though.
    Pretty solid flick, Hooper's best since, dunno, TCM2?
    Sheri Moon has a sweet cameo and yep, she does a decent job I'd say :)

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i want this movie on dvd come mar 15th

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The US release is said to be cut, which would completely ruin the fun of this movie. Without the gore, you might notice they had $5.00 to shoot this movie on and start thinking about the huge plot holes, and that would really ruin the fun I think. Uncut is the only way for this one, imho.

13. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

this movie rocked. angela bettis is one of my favorites. i thought though that the US dvd was going to be uncut like the holland dvd with extra gore as a special feature

14. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I believe the gore they cut out of the movie will be the gore in that extra, much like what occurred with The Mangler. I'm sticking with my R2 disc.

15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

So why is Lions Gate even cutting it? A lot more places now sell unrated dvds than before, hell even Walmart does now. So why bother? I'll probably spring for an import (maybe the Russian disc since it's a few $ cheaper) but i'm not gonna get a cut version.

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

well i ordered the Russian disc a few days ago and got it yesterday. The film surprised me. it's a lot better than i thought it would be (i'm not a fan of Tobe Hooper and find TCM to be a fluke in his career). The kill scenes were quite violent and i could see where the MPAA would cut some of it. as for the disc itself, the audio (5.1) sounded excellent. The video was good, but not great. i'd give it a 7/10.