Top 50 Asian Horrors of the new New Millennium

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Ash28M, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I wouldn't even have been able to name 50 on my own.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Seen 23 of them. Good to see Tale of Two Sisters at the top where it belongs. And in an odd coincedence, I just screened Yoga twice at the film festival I work for, although I didn't get a chance to pop in and see it.

4. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Haven't seen all of them, but I completely concur with Nº 1. Asian horror is so weird though, I've seen lots of movies that didn't live to the hype (IMHO) and oh boy these movies have hype around them one of those being Marebito (nº7). I guess its not for everyone or is more of an acquired taste.

5. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Marebito is wonderful (in my top 10 horror films of the past decade), but I totally understand why some wouldn't like it. It's certainly unlike anything remotely resembling modern Japanese horror, and that's probably why I like it so much. It's truly unique and makes me wonder why the hell Shimizu is content to recycle Ju-On over and over again instead of making original stuff like Marebito.

Really cool to see stuff like Kairo, Noroi, and Uzumaki crack the top 10, and A Tale of Two Sisters is without question the best and rightfully in the top spot, but Three Extremes, Spider Forest, Rampo Noir and Strange Circus definitely should have placed higher; Abnormal Beauty should not even be ranked alongside them, let alone ahead. Also, Hypnotized is a glaring omission; if crap like Phone and Doll Master made the cut, this one needed to be recognized.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

of those, all I've seen are The Eye, Three Extremes, and Uzumaki. Despite it being in the top 10 of that list, I thought Uzumaki was the worst of the three. It was just impossible to follow. The Eye, and Three Extremes were good though. Don't pay any attention to me though, I am really uninterested in modern asian horror.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I do love asian horror- and I still havent gotten tired of it yet - and if you watch the right ones they arent all ripoffs of each other. My fave is probably Audition (1999 so not on the list) followed by Tale of Two Sisters but there are a lot of good to great ones out there.

I wish Tale of Two Sisters would get the R1 blu release it was supposed to have gotten a while back...

8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Ash thank you for this, I checked out Noroi: The Curse last night based on the list. It really creeped me out - great film!

9. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I've only seen ten of those (Dark Water; The Eye; Ju-On; Three Extremes; Hansel and Gretel; Strange Circus; Spider Forest; Abnormal Beauty; Uzumaki; Tale of Two Sisters)*, but lost a lot of interest in asian horror for the second half of the decade.

I'm surprised The Host and R-Point aren't on the list. I thought The Host was outstanding and R-Point was pretty good (not the best movie but much much better than the generic item/device/place has a ghost that kills everyone type of movie that's been done to death).

*I might have seen Hair Extensions, but can't remember.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I've seen about 16 of the 50. It's great to see A Tale Of Two Sisters take the top spot and a damn shame that Thirst didn't at least crack the top 20. Looks like I have a bit of work a head since a lot of these titles sound really fucking good.

11. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Great list, thanks Ash. I've seen only 6 of those...mind you, they are all in the top 10, but still alot of interesting stuff I've never heard of and will definitely check out.

12. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Ghost Actress is absurdly underrated!

13. Wraith7092

Wraith7092 New Member

I've seen 16 of the movies on this list and was likewise happy to see "A Tale of Two Sisters" take the top spot. However, I'm literally stunned that "Uzumaki" made the list, but neither "Audition" nor "The Last Supper" did. I found "Uzumaki" more humorous than horrifying.