Top Ten Slashers (recommendations?)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Michael, Dec 7, 2003.

1. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Dude, I suck, I should have mentionned that. Thanks for rectifying the mistake. :D

2. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i'm still regretting not having bought sndn 1+2 from DDD.. my The Burning DVD arrived today (and is about to go in the player) so that should take my mind off it

3. Dr_Acula

Dr_Acula Guest

DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE is another great one--might not quite be a slasher [I think he mainly strangles], but is worth seeing regardless.

MANIAC is another classic.

BLACK CHRISTMAS is important for historical reasons, but the big problem with it is
    the killer is in hiding for most of the movie. It's not like a regular slasher film where he's out killing people. He kills a couple then goes and hides for the rest of the film.

4. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

Ive never seen any of the "Don't" movies.. dont answer the phone, don't go in the basement etc.. what are the best of those to watch? or are they all completely different?

5. Dr_Acula

Dr_Acula Guest

The two I've seen, DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE and DON'T GO IN THE HOUSE are totally different from each other, and probably a little better than a lot of the other flicks released during that time. In the first one the guy who plays the killer obviously did a serious Method acting job and probably has one of the better performances in an exploitation film. DON'T GO IN THE HOUSE is pretty rough too.

They're closer to the grindhouse stuff than a lot of the slasher movies that came later, which is probably why they don't have as much of a reputation.

They're both on DVD, btw.

6. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

cool might check em out

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

What version of DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE do you have? I have only been able to find the Rhino version which I hear is edited to pieces. If you have a better version, I would really love to know where to find it.

8. Dr_Acula

Dr_Acula Guest

It was a Netflix rental, but I'm pretty sure it was the Rhino version.

It doesn't surprise me that it was cut...it seemed like it probably was in places.

9. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

Both Don't Answer the Phone and Don't Go in the House were released in the early eighties via Media Home Entertainment -- and are uncut.

For other "Don't" movies there are Don't Go in the Woods (which I strongly recommend) and Don't Open till Christmas both released on Vestron Video in the early to mid-80s. "... till Christmas" is a violent, seldom-seen UK Slasher flick that I also highly suggest giving a go. Neither are on DVD as of yet, unfortunately. .

10. satanservant

satanservant Guest

Does anyone have an opinion on "Don't Open the Door". I have never rented it and would like to know if it's worth a viewing.

11. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Thanks for getting back to me, you had my hopes up that I had missed an uncut release of it. Yep, it is actually much sleazier than that Rhino disc would lead you to believe so I guess I will be holding on to my vhs for awhile longer.

12. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

It's really, really bad. Not a single positive thing I can say about the film.

13. satanservant

satanservant Guest

Maybe I won't rent it then. Or maybe I will for a good night of pure torture.

14. Justin Kerswell

Justin Kerswell New Member

... actually, I quite liked it. It's certainly not your average slasher flick. Brownrigg's films are definitely an acquired taste. Also, don't let the 1980 tag fool you, thois one looks like it was made in the mid-70's.

For more info on the film, here's my review:

HYSTERIA LIVES! review of DON'T OPEN THE DOOR

15. dougi

dougi Guest

Intruder - what an awesome film this was
    Highly recommended
    Brilliant kills
    Beware - Get the uncut version

16. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

Narrowing down my top ten slashers is not easy since they are my favorite type of horror but I will try. These are in no particular order.

Black Christmas
    My Bloody Valentine
    Madman
    April Fool's Day (I'm not sure if this would qualify)
    Terror Train
    Friday the 13th 1-2 4-5
    Silent Night Deadly Night
    The Prowler
    House On Sorority Row
    Psycho 2
    The Initation
    Sleepaway Camp 1-3

Okay there are more than 10 here but I couldn't help myself. I have a feeling if I ever see The Burning or Tenebre they will both make the list.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2004
  17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

my top ten is
    1.black christmas
    2.silent night deadly night
    3.intruder sam raimi
    4.alone in the dark
    5.maniac cop
    6.friday the 13th 1,2,3,4
    7.the burning
    8.sleepaway camp