Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player for Under $100!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Reverenddave, Nov 1, 2007.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

A record number of HD-DVD players were sold, but I'm a little surprised by the numbers:
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...d_Toshiba_HD_DVD_Player_Sales_Top_90,000/1150

I think that gives you an indication of how small this market still is. Reportedly Blu-ray sales caught up with HD-DVD standalone sales in the summer. Since this gives us an idea of Blu-ray's best seller, that means around half a million players have probably been sold this year from each camp. This best explains why Toshiba lowered it's earlier estimates of about 3 million players to sell down to about 1 million to sell this year.

It's good news for Toshiba, this nearly doubled Blu-ray's sales I'm sure. Even still, it feels disappointing for both.

2. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

You want an idea of how small the HD market is? So far there has been about 5 Million total HD discs sold. It breaks down to around 3 Million BR vs 2 Million HD-DVD. In comparison, the standard DVD of Transformers sold 8.3 Million it's first week. The HD market is just a tiny drop in the bucket right now.

3. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

It's getting fucking crazy out there.

The AVSForum shut down yesterday because the place exploded when it was announced that Best Buy and Wal-Mart had sold 90,000 of these sub-$100 HD-DVD players and the red and blue fanboys were at each others' throats. The Digital Bits got hacked. And there were people on the Blu-Ray forum who said they were going to buy HD-DVD players at Wal-Mart and post videos of themselves on Youtube smashing the players in the parking lot.

It's the like the streets are about to break out in open warfare between gadget nerds.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  4. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

that a lot considering that many stores only had 15 to 20 players only in stock

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Funny, since they will fight for years to determine superiority, only to realize that neither format will ever unseat DVD. :D

6. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Yep. The gadget nerds and film geeks (is there really much of a difference between the two, really?) aren't going to determine this "war". Joe Sixpack will...and, he's going to need more than higher resolution to hook him in.

7. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

he is going to need low prices and a HDTV and about a year or two more.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

HD-DVD will probably have sold 500,000 stand alone units by the end of November. That means there's probably just about 400,000 Blu-ray standalone players.

So they sold in one day almost a quarter of what it's taken them a year and a half to sell.

Just for fun here are some really really really fuzzy numbers so bare with me. If Blu-ray is selling 2:1, and there are 400,000 blu-ray standalones (which we can guess because reportedly they are just as many HD-DVD standalones [before the 90,000]) then PS3 must be making up the difference. Last I heard there was 150,000 HD-DVD Xbox360 add ons out there. So of the 2.2 million PS3s about 550,000 are actively being used to play Blu-ray discs; 25%. To make up for the 90,000 jump Sony would have to sell 360,000 more PS3s just as suddenly. Anyone think their PS3 price drop did as much?

9. Agent Z

...AND HD releases that are at least properly mastered and not barebones, pale imitations of their standard dvd counterparts.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well this is interesting, in Sony's latest press release of Spider-Man 3's numbers they said they shipped off 400,000 copies to retailers. Basically they thought half of the active Blu-ray disc buyers would pick up this title. They sold over 25% the first week. Don't know if that includes boxsets, probably does.

It's hard to compare that with Transformer's numbers, those are still fuzzy. We know these are the physical sold numbers for SM3, and even with the lowest estimates of Tranformers HD-DVD still comes out on top. We'll have to wait for tomorrow to see last week's numbers, I'm sure BDR's crossing their fingers.

11. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

That's really not true, at least with most of the Blu-Ray releases I have. Yeah, there's a few that don't compare (the first 2 Spider-Man flicks are the films only, but the amazing picture and sound make up for it a bit), but stuff like 300, The Fountain, Spider-Man 3, Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Prestige, the Pirates of the Caribbean flicks and more all have the same amount, if not more, extras as their DVD counterparts.

12. Agent Z

I don't have time to do a list for those "loaded" and those "barebones", but there are more than a "few" titles that have less than, or none of the special features that their standard version counterparts have.

When you are asking me to pay more for a HD version of a film, then I have a right to expect every title that costs more than the standard to have at least the same content as the previous editions.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

HMM Nov 11 - 17, 2007

Week of 10/28 - 11/4
    BD / HD
    71 / 29 Week
    64 / 36 Year
    61 / 39 Since Inception

1. Spider-man 3 BD 100
    2. Spider-man Trilogy BD 71.95(% of leader)
    3. Transformers HD 31.42
    4. Meet the Robinsons BD 8.82
    5. 300 BD 6.56
    6. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer BD 5.03
    7. License to Wed BD 4.24
    8. The Shining BD 4.11
    9. Mr. Brooks BD 4.03
    10. 2001: A Space Odyssey BD 3.88

Awesome, Kubrick's still got it.

So SM3 tilted it back to status quo, depending on how Sony looked at it either 130,000 total SM3's were sold or 223,600. Probably the former. Most interesting is that 300 is still in the top 5 with Blu-ray, Warner HAS to be happy with that. Who wouldn't be? Also Transformers is hanging in there for three weeks, most probably the best a HD-DVD title's done for a long time.

But these numbers will be most important to compare to this week's releases. Will the additional 90,000 A2's make an impact for HD-DVD? Will Pixar be able to maintain Blu-ray's lead? Did new A2 owners pick up SM3 by mistake? Tune in next week and see!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sony confirmed that the 130,000 count was total SM3 sales which includes trilogy boxsets. Granted it's probably not exactly 130,000 but who are we to be so picky? Now with that final piece we can give some real numbers:

1. Spider-Man 3 (BD) 75,605
    2. Spider-Man: The High Definition Trilogy (BD) 54,395
    3. Transformers (HD-DVD) 23,755
    4. Meet the Robinsons (BD) 6,668
    5. 300 (BD) 4,960
    6. Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer (BD) 3,803
    7. License to Wed (BD) 3,206
    8. The Shining (BD) 3,107
    9. Mr. Brooks (BD) 3,047
    10. 2001: A Space Odyssey (BD) 2,933

Ugh, I can't believe over 3,000 people about License to Wed. Maybe these numbers are wrong? :D

This would mean HD-DVD's second highest title sold less than 3,000. Yep, there are probably more people in your home town than there are people who bought HD-DVD's second highest selling disc two weeks ago. It also means that the 90,000 players they sold from Wal-mart can truly help turn their favor. If even 3.3% of the new owners buy a common title it'll move something up into the top ten.

It hadn't occured to me before someone pointed it out but with those 90,000 A2's sold from the Wal-mart sale we're talking about 450,000 free disc hand outs. Toshiba may give away more discs from that one day sale then they'll sell this holiday season if things don't turn around.

15. Agent Z

These updates for the ongoing battle between HD DVD and Blu-ray remind me of proud parents watching their kids learning to play football for the first time: kids running in the wrong direction, getting hit in the face with passes, unable to really move the ball down the field.

The kids aren't ready for the big leagues. Ok, they aren't really even ready for pop warner, but it's a kind of pitying admiration that one develops while watching them make their way, cause one day......

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's numbers like that make me want to throw the towel in and just decide to stick with current DVD's. I play with the idea of an upgrade, but both look like a serious dead end right now.

17. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

DVD was a killer app, much like CD.

They're perfect media: right amount of storage, random access, durable, portable.

Like we've seen with DAT, miniDisc, SACD, and DVD-A all failing to usurp CD with the buying public over two decades, DVD is going to be a motherfucker to replace.

It's not the format war that is slowing mass adoption, it's because DVD is "good enough" for the average person. Remember, a lot of people still buy pan and scan DVDs, most people have TVs 27" and under, most people aren't yet HD... and even when they get HDTVs, all of that 720/1080/i/p is confusing. And firmware updates. Java. It's like HDDVD and BR are made for IT and CS geeks.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think a day will come when HD is streamlined to the point that it's as easy as CD. I say that because if you think about it even DVD is confusing with picking between 480i and 480p settings on a DVD player. My parents always asked me to put the DVD in because of that. Recently we had to explain rewinding and fast forwarding a VHS to my grandma.

But my PS3 for example automatically sets it up to the proper settings of either widescreen or windowbox and upconverts it nicely. I can only assume HD-DVD players do that as well. Once it's set up there's not much to it at all.

In a few years pretty much everything will be 1080p and it'll be such a norm that everything will be geared towards that. It'll be simple. Hopefully...

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

People tend to forget that there were compatibility issues in the early days of DVD. It took a while for region coding to be cracked. What really helped DVD was plain and simple: Price. Prices fell with DVD faster than anything that had come before it. It was $800 one day, and $100 the next, it seemed. Discs were cheaper too.

I agree technically things are more complicated - ans that the two formats are confusing. But there will always be people who buy pan and scan, watch everything in "widescreen" mode of their TV's stretching things out, and that never invest in surround sound listening to everything through silly TV speakers.

Hell, there are still people watching movies without a projector! :D

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Also interesting, over 10 million standard dvd players sold in the first half of the year.

16 million in 2005 (total year)

19 million in 2006 (total year)

I doubt they are changing over to HD anytime soon.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007