Totally wrong subtitles: A Tale of Two Sisters - Please help

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by SteveB, Jun 3, 2004.

1. SteveB

SteveB Guest

Short version:
    Could someone please tell me how/where to buy a R1 or R0 NTSC version of A Tale of Two Sisters that they have actually watched with English subtitles that they know are correct? I might even accept a VCD if absolutely necessary.

Full story:
    Based on recommendations on another thread, I decided to get A Tale of Two Sisters. Now, I can only play R1/0 NTSC, so I was happy to find such a DVD on ebay. When I got it, I popped it in, and I was very confused. The dialogue (according to the English subtitles) made absolutely no sense! For example:

- Someone would ask a question, and then answer it themselves.
    - Subtitles would indicate two people speaking, but only one was.
    - Someone would say a single syllable, yet two lines of dialogue popped up so quickly that I had to pause it to read it
    - Conversations were on totally different topics. For example, a guy was very quietly and calmly talking on the phone, yet in the subtitles he was shouting "Open the door! Open the G*d d*mn door!

Needless to say, I was suspicious, so I switched to Spanish subtitles just to see what was being said there. They were completely different! In the phone scene above, the Spanish subtitles said nothing about the non-existent door - they were talking about Oprah Winfrey! I'm absolutely serious.

So it looks like the DVD makers just took subtitles from some other movie and threw them on even though they made no sense whatsoever. The DVD I'm talking about has practically no English on the cover, but I do see a logo that says "Face", and a website, www.gdface.com.

So, could someone please tell me how/where to buy a R1 or R0 NTSC version of A Tale of Two Sisters that they have actually watched with English subtitles that they know are correct? I might even accept a VCD if absolutely necessary.

I wonder, is this something any of you have experienced with other DVDs?

Thanks!

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

When you buy a bootleg, you gets what you pays for.

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Well that "open the door!" line is definitely in the movie if I remember right. They could just be badly timed or something, I dunno. Good luck though, as it's a film worth seeing (and reading).

4. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I'm pretty sure even if you get a R0 disc the sub's will be bad, because its a bootleg. Invest in the R3 (if it has subs) or wait for a possible R1, otherwise you'll have to deal with it

5. SteveB

SteveB Guest

I may just have to wait for a possible R1. I can't play R3, and I don't picture myself buying the equipment for that capability.

It's not that I'm demanding pristine quality. This wasn't an issue of subtitles being merely poorly translated and/or not synching very well with on screen action. It was as if someone just made them up, with no regard for what was really being said! Or maybe they're out-of-synch by an hour or something crazy like that. I only watched about 15 minutes before stopping, because I didn't want to give away what surprises I would pick up by visuals only, so I don't know if what was said would make sense later. But again, for example, the Spanish and English subtitles at the same scene had 100% different content! I've seen other asian discs with some funny subtitle mess-ups, misspellings, possibly missing some detail, that sort of thing, but never anything nearly this severe.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

7. Blade

Blade Guest

The Korean DVD of this beautifull movie is has one of the best transfers and packaging I've seen, and correct subtitles. Highly recommended indeed.

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

actually, you can find them cheaper than $50 (i recently paid $44 for a region-less/PAL perfect dvd player).

9. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

speaking of which, could someone possibly suggest some good region free+pal players? I'm looking to invest in one, especially since the release of ghost in the shell 2 and appleseed should be around the corner. thnx

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

not to sound like a broken record, but I gotta again suggest the Toshiba 4900. Do a search for that model on this Forum, and you'll see several discussions on them.

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

At the risk of sounding even more like a broken record, just go to here, see what the hype is, then burn the cd and enjoy! (the links on the lower/later posts work!)

12. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I just thought of this. Steve, if you have a DVD burner on your computer you could definitely try doing this. Rip the film to your hard drive, and then add the correct subs onto it (I think you can do this??). I have the subs as an SRT file (downloaded), and I can send them to you or post them as an attachment if you want. I don't know if the burning technology allows for this, but if it does this could be a solution.

13. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

dang. did paff and BDH get their checks from toshiba yet?

14. Wolf Man

Wolf Man Guest

At the risk of soun...awww forget it. Toshiba can send me a check too, because I have nothing but good things to say about my 4900.

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

actually this type of crap happens all the time. In the Godzilla DVDs with the Japanese audio (hurray) have the wrong subtitles (boo) the subtitles are not real subtitles but quote the dub NOT the Japanese version which has much different dialogue.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll post my thoughts on the film itself in the other thread, but I highly recommend against buying bootleg versions of this film.

Not because of subs, or moral issues, but because the Hong Kong (and presumably Korean) release have the most effective DTS sound mix I've ever heard. I was freaked out enough by the film, when I suddenly hear incredibly real footsteps right behind me. I was jumping out of my seat.

Get a real version, and get the full effect

17. Mr_ShaM

Mr_ShaM Guest

It seems that i have the same version of the dvd that you described in your first post. The wrong subs actaully seem to be subs pulled from later in the movie, not random like you may have thought. The problem corrects itself about half way through the movie, and you can certainly tell that things are better.

Anyway, the poster that suggested you fix the subs yourself is right. This can be done using ifoedit and some other small programs that are available for free. There are many guides available at doom9.

Now, on to the more important stuff. Can anyone supply us with a proper subfile please? If anyone is willing to help but doesnt know how to do it, i can probably help (will have to go to doom9 myself) but the process shouldnt take to long.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2004