Touch Of Death

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by thrashard76, Jun 21, 2005.

1. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I think I'm gonna wait till the reviews strart coming in. If this release has better pic quality than the EC disc, I'll get it. By the way, what happened to the interview with Zora?

2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yeah thats what I figured Bwana.

3. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I have supported SS on several occasions, but I ain't buying this.
    They shouldn't have bothered to release it anyway, the Synapse remark says it all.

I'll stick with my greek VHS, until a better release. And Touch Of Death was not made for TV like House Of Clocks. It was made for cinema, but it got released straight to video in most countries, with very few exceptions.

4. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Here is a review from Fangoria. "Video dropouts"? I think I'll be holding on to my EC disc.

5. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

^^^Thanks for the review link Zombi.

6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Quite welcome, sir.

7. jak

jak Guest

I'll be getting it for the interview with Lucio, it reminds me of that Black Cat EC disc that had that 40 minutes of footage from a British convention with Fulci and Warbeck, and that alone (to me anyway) is worth spending a little money on.

8. The Chaostar

What does "Converted with a 3:2 Pull Down" mean? Anyone into technical info?

9. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

10. The Chaostar

Ok, I get it now. Thanx Regurgitate. Boy the things we learn now with DVD - I never was a HiTech freak but there are times that I get myself talking like one. You know, people giving me strange looks and all when discussing the pros of anamorphic images etc.

So, SS used this procedure to give the best possible look to a digi-beta master.
    I get the feeling that Digi-beta did not exist when Touch Of Death was filmed. If I'm not wrong, then a Digi-Beta master of Touch Of Death should be a simple copy of a previous analoge master. I work with Digi-Beta and it can produce a great picture with great clarity when you work your Original Transfer with one. If not, it doesn't really makes a difference.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  11. The Chaostar

ok, another review.

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t-z/touchofdeth88.htm

Again, one can only think of one thing: Synapse respects both itself and the fans by not releasing sub-standard products in order to gain some $$$. SS does not. I'll be thinking before I buy ANYTHING from them in the future.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Dang, that doesn't sound good, does it. Couple of Euro missteps from SS recently (the the 4:3 uncut Lizard). Still, as the reviewer says: " It's still good to have this flick on DVD", and that 77 minute audio interview with Fulci is priceless, I reckon.

As for the transfer, the only good thing to say is - at least we know what we're getting going in :(

13. The Chaostar

I have defended SS in the past but this is not a mistep. It's a disgrace. It's a "throw-anything-to-the-dogs-and-they-will-eat-it-up" stance and I hate it. The worst part is that I really dig the cover. Still, it's cool to know how they look down at us.

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I've defended them too. But I have not suddenly started hating them. Companies like SS release a product - they don't owe us pristine transfer from negatives. Now, if they don't give us something great, we simply won't buy it, which is all fine and dandy. As long as we know what we're getting.....

That's not to say I like what they've done. If the packaging claims it's widescreen, transferred from the negative and all that jazz - then it's quite heinous. I want the best I can get - but I don't hate Brentwood for their monstrosities because I think they have contempt for me. Brentowood do their thing, and I get to choose. Same with SS.

Stil, it's not a good trend, and a huge disapointment. Who knows what is going on over there. After so many good release.......

15. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

DDD have shipped my copy now. Regardless of the transfer, I'm still looking forward to seeing this.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well, I'd rather have this then nothing at all. If that's the best they got, roll with it.

Anyone have any positive proof that this is a theatrical film and not made for TV?

This review says otherwise:
    http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/cult_movies/touch_death.htm

I'd take DVD Drive-In's word over anyone elses, but there's still some debate.

17. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Wh..wh..where is my shadow!?

Ungh, I got around to checking this one out tonight via the Shriek Show disc. All I thought of while watching this was how perfectly this fits into the "Troma" mold (not a good thing).

While the gore was alright, it was nowhere near good enough to save this flick. The humor was so bad, I mean eye rolling while groaning bad. The music, seemingly picked to give some scenes a "light, comedic tone" was mostly out of place and really didn't work in the films favor.

Not only that, but in it's most ridiculous moment, we see Lester
    run down a homeless man who witnessed a murder, his guts spilled out and his torso crushed flat as a pancake on the soil. Later on, we find out that he LIVED through all that, describing Lester to the police!!
    That is the silliness this film serves up, and I definitally couldn't get into it.

And what is Fulci's fascination with hideously ugly women in this film? One is sporting a mean beard and mustache, the usually lovely Zora Kerova's upper lip has nasty scars on it and the girl on TV at the beginning looked deformed. What was he going for here, seriously?

Well I really had nothing good to say about this one sadly, I really wanted to like it. It's not recommended from me though, and like I said earlier, this could easily be confused with most of the shit Troma puts out.

18. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

all those things you just pointed out are what made me enjoy this movie, and if i had read your post before watching the movie i wouldn't have even watched it, but for some reason all that dumb junk in the movie made me smile....even the scene where he couldn't get the dead broad's feet into the trunk of his car

19. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Well, any mention of Troma in a movie review makes me wanna see it twice as much. Now the fact that he mentioned 'em twice makes me wanna see it 50x more. I know, I'm retardered. but darnit if I can't be damned!

20. The Chaostar