Tourist Trap on Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorscreamer, Apr 25, 2013.

1. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I don't regret the preorder even though it's not a new scan. I already knew it couldn't possibly be a totally different master, fixed or otherwise. Just wondering if these guys are legit (NSM Records). They seem to release a lot of stuff that nobody else can get their hands on (like Trick or Treat).

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Yeah.... I'm thinking pass. This is one of my all time favs but based on what I'm hearing - not worth $42.

3. foller

foller Active Member

Tourist Trap comes from '84 Entertainment, not NSM. Both are legit companies.

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I think the question is if this is really worth $40+¿?

5. foller

foller Active Member

Probably not.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I think so if you're a fan of the film... it's probably the closest to a "restoration" of the correct cut of the film that we're likely to see on Blu-ray. Charles Band certainly isn't going to do a new scan and re-release it anytime soon.

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Still... I'm hitting the pause button on this til I know more. $42 is just a lotta dough for what I think this will be.

8. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The soundtrack CD is a nice plus but this will mainly appeal to collectors. 84 Entertainment is a specialty packaging company first, video distributor second. I NEVER buy titles from this label for picture quality, much less extras as I don't speak German. The mediabooks are just pretty to look at :)

9. Katatonia

Okay, got the German 4-Disc Mediabook earlier... and if nothing else it is an awesome looking package! The "Cover A" colors appear almost fluorescent or glow-in-the-dark... and I prefer this cover far more than the other two cover editions, one of which makes it seem like a zombie movie or something. Mine was numbered #34 on the back.

The interior "16-page Booklet" has quite a lot of pics and text...albeit in German. A tracklisting is also offered for the included Soundtrack CD.

This edition definitely wins on extras; there's quite a few extensive stills galleries, both of the audio commentaries (new and old), the making-of featurette, director interview, some review featurette thing, English & German trailers, and the "Trailers from Hell" with David DeCoteau.

We don't get lossless audio, but then again that was pretty apparent from the advance rear artwork early on.

I haven't really had a chance to compare the US & Director's cuts on the Blu-ray, except that briefly scanning through the full Director's Cut an early scene looked a little rougher...but it does appear to be the complete original 90 minute edit of the film. I'll try to share my further thoughts when I watch them both fully.

All in all, this is probably about as near as we'll get to a "definitive" release for a long time. Nice release overall from '84.

Here's some pics of my set for anybody interested:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    stigdu, Steel76, Kim Bruun and 3 others like this.
  10. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Thanks for the pics! Looks pretty cool but I notice they use artwork from "The Hearse" on the booklet insert. I've seen that on some foreign poster art for the movie as well - I wonder how that first got incorporated. Did you buy your copy at Diabolik, Katatonia?

Katatonia likes this.
  11. Katatonia

Yep, I had it pre-ordered at Diabolik.

I believe "The Hearse" pic is from the Pakistan poster for the film.

chancetx likes this.
  12. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Interesting. I didn't notice at first that they use the tagline from "The Hearse" as well, which doesn't work for "Tourist Trap" at all! Who/what are the four Mt. Rushmore-looking heads to the left of the hearse?

Let us know how the picture quality compares and what the 'restored' scenes look like compared to the rest of the transfer. I'm tempted...

Katatonia likes this.
  13. Katatonia

Will do. In the meantime, someone posted their thoughts about it on the Blu-ray.com forum.

chancetx likes this.
  14. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

It may take a while, but I'm gonna wait for another U.S. release.

15. Katatonia

It sounds like 84 did use a film print for the re-inserted scenes on the disc, and fixed some other problems with the FM Blu-ray.

...and I've finished watching the Blu-ray, and can also confirm that the re-inserted scenes appear to be sourced from a theatrical film print. There is some minor fading and print damage to those scenes, but they look surprisingly good and there's not a huge jump in quality difference between the two.

This 41+ minute YouTube review is also on the Blu-ray in the bonus features...for whatever reason. It's kind of hilarious to listen to at times.

Also, the Blu-ray is "region-free" (despite showing "B" on the back cover) and will play worldwide... but some of the bonus features are on the disc are PAL format, so those may not play on some players.

With Charles Band, you'll be waiting a long long time for him to fork over the money to do another HD transfer, when he doesn't even know where the "negative" for the 90 minute cut is. He really hasn't even acknowledged there's a problem with the current release. According to him the current Blu-ray is the "original version" that's been in a "vault" for 35+ years or whatever.

Band still owes David Schmoeller residuals from Puppetmaster, and then changed "A Film by David Schmoeller" to "Charles Band's Puppetmaster" in the film just to be an ass about it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    zbinks and Steel76 like this.
  16. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

The guy sounds like a real turd. I have the 88 films release which is a better overall package to hold me over.

17. Deathcab6366

Deathcab6366 New Member

The German packaging looks awesome!!!! Might have to pick that up if it's still available.

18. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I just ordered the German disc for a somewhat reasonable price. I really love the film and have a perverse need to own this. I rarely shell out for imports anymore...and if history has taught me anything it is that there will probably be a US restoration within a few months now that I have caved!

19. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

20. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It figures that ol' Charlie Hustle would try to get fans to rebuy the film rather than offering a replacement program for the original discs.

Katatonia likes this.