Tourist Trap on Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorscreamer, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Hork!

Hork! New Member

Solid Advice!

How long before the Tourist Trap blu-rays end up in the delete $5 bins?

2. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I give credit to 88 Films for at least coming out and addressing the issue, which is more than I can say for Full Moon, but if they knew the problem existed and tried to fix it and couldn't, then they should have said something then, not wait until they were confronted with it by those who already bought it.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm not sure I understand why they even made the cuts. It's not like younger audiences will now suddenly pick this up because of UNADVERTISED alterations. So you spend time and money making tiny alterations that attracts no new audience but alienates the current one. Brilliant.

Considering Full Moon did do a new commentary with David Schmoeller I wonder how aware he was of the changes. It's not like even he has every second memorized.

Funny thing is if they had said something like "Director's Cut" along the top people would be praising this as a tighter more thrilling version. It's also been well established that including both cuts, even one in SD, would stopping most of the bitching.

4. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

David Schmoeller on Facebook:

"After hearing about the shorter version, I put the older 90 minute DVD of Tourist Trap on my laptop - and the new Bluray version, which is indeed shorter at 85 minute- and ran them simultaneously - and can't believe what I discovered:
    Scenes were trimmed; scenes were moved around; scenes were entirely omitted. These changes could not have been about censorship issues if they were done for the UK version. It's possible the changes are related to the Master Print having major damage (fading issues) and these changes were the only way they could produce a Bluray. There could be other issues I am not aware of. I will call Charlie on Monday and see what he says.
    You don't take a fan-driven film like Tourist Trap and make these rather arbitrary editorial changes unless there is a very good reason.
    Very disappointing, to say the least."

"When I did the commentary, I was sent a DVD with timecode - I did the commentary at my university where I teach here in Las Vegas. I was not involved in the making of the Bluray other than recording the commentary - and having my students film me giving an interview. There have never been any changes in any cut of Tourist Trap in all the years I have lived with this film. It never occurred to me there were changes - nor did I notice anything - and I don't know if it was the older 90 minute version - or a shorter version. These cuts seem so arbitrary - and completely un-called for - unless there was some fading issues with the Master Print that made sections of the film unusable. Hopefully Charlie Band will shed some light on the matter."

5. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I'm personally waiting for a rundown of the actual dialogue before making my purchase decision. If it's stuff that doesn't matter, then I'm honestly not too worried about it.

6. Franco

Franco Weekender

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  7. kimboslice

kimboslice Member

Damn it!

Mine was already sent. Ive let amazon uk know and they are refunding me. Now the hassle of sending it back.

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Glad I didn't order anything - jeez whata train wreck! I may get the FullMoon release one day if it hits $5.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Well at least David Schmoeller isn't at fault here, and I'm glad he commented on it and will try to get an explanation from CB.

Yes, I cancelled mine. I like to support 88 Films and buy many of their Blu-ray releases...but I am not blowing $$ on this one right now.

It should be stressed that Full Moon are the ones at fault here, not 88 Films. They supplied them with the master.

It'll be interesting to see if Full Moon acknowledges the issue. It sounds like 88 Films informed them of the running time, and they basically didn't even give an explanation as to why.

10. Franco

Franco Weekender

But why did the guys at 88 films continue the project if they had received this badly cut master? Shouldn't they have complained to Full Moon before going on with it? I guess most of these companies know that a good part of their customers are people who care and pay attention to many details, check reviews, and read through forums before buying :/

Now regarding Full Moon, is Charles Band a bad man?

11. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Band is a freaking con man. Plain and simple. The only thing he gives a shit about is making money. Quality control and customer satisfaction don't even make it on the guys list of priorities. As far as 88 Films is concerned, they should have either passed on the release entirely, or at the very least let their customers know ahead of time instead of waiting for people to find out on their own and call them on it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  12. Katatonia

It sounds like they did complain to Full Moon about it, and FM just brushed the concerns aside. And since the director did a brand new commentary and wasn't aware of it, and since it was the only HD source available, they went ahead with releasing their Blu-ray.

Is he a bad man? I dunno, but some of his business practices are certainly shady. :eek2:

13. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

Are 88 films a subsidiary of Full Moon? It all seems like a waste of time to release something broken like this. It's one of those films I wish Synapse had hold of :(

14. Franco

Franco Weekender

Well, this title is "fresh meat" for companies like Synapse now but it'll take some time I guess to be re-released by one of these companies.

15. Katatonia

No, 88 Films are a completely different company. They just license Full Moon films and release them in the UK.

16. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Thanks to the info in this thread, I cancelled my order for the UK blu-ray and ordered the (American) Cult Video DVD instead.

17. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Not having seen this film many times (maybe 4 or 5), I have watched a copy of the Full Moon BD. But I cannot remember seeing anything missing. It looked much better that the DVD and certainly none of the "violence" was cut. It did seem a tad tightened though. I totally agree with watching a directors true vision, but if the version I watched indeed cut, I don't have a problem with it and will keep my pre- order.

18. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

ok, for the love of the forum and Tourist Trap I've ordered the Japan edition.

I know from past comments it's an upscale but curiosity has got the better of me. I'll do some snapshots when it arrives as none seem to exist for comparison :) Amazon.co.jp seem to have lowered the cost of postage to the UK so it's worked out not too expensive.

19. vidjunkie

vidjunkie Team Blu

Thank you, I can't wait to read your thoughts on this and screens.

20. Hork!

Hork! New Member

The Japan version of Tourist Trap is an upscaled DVD on a blu-ray? Why even bother blowing cash on an inferior disc Paul?