Tourist Trap on Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorscreamer, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

I'm just intrigued to see what it's like really (I know it won't be definitive in PQ), almost bought it a few months ago but the Full Moon HD edition put it on hold (till now). I get the feeling we'll be waiting a looooong time until someone else does something with Tourist Trap :(

2. Hork!

Hork! New Member

Wouldn't it be wiser to just buy the 88films version mastered in HD. Versus buying some upconverted DVD on blu-ray from Japan? Even if they are both inferior your best bet would be 88films.

3. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

I got the 88 films version last week and wouldn't watch it again - sending it back tomorrow. Whilst I wasn't too bothered by the run time the frame rate problems make the film unwatchable for me :( (detail and overall clarity is improved but dismal in other parts - darker scenes (and there are a lot) are almost impossible to view in parts (overall the DVD looks better for those parts)).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=9094968&postcount=499

5. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Having never seen Tourist Trap I watched it on YouTube last night in what I presume to be an uncut and complete version. What is actually missing from the Blu rays?

6. Katatonia

Look back at this post for some of what's missing.

7. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Thanks for the link. Sounds a little like the mystery that surrounded the Burial Ground BD from Shriek Show which seemed to loose random seconds from the run time. Wasent that down to print damage at reel changes in source used to create the transfer though?

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

As I understand it in addition to some scenes being shorter others were re-arranged. That's not something that happens with print damage.

What's entirely possible however is they pulled off the shelf a different edit. Maybe an edited for TV version to fit more commercials. Perhaps an International export (5 less minutes of dialog means cheaper dubbing). Maybe in 1978 someone tried to make it a bit shorter but they decided against it and went with what's now the theatrical cut so these reels sat on a shelf. Or maybe Charles Band had someone shorten it for the Blu-ray.

Early on, word was they had completed a transfer, were unsatisfied, and did a new transfer. That often means pulling from new materials. Over the years digging through film reels have turned up odd cuts that have then ended up on home video. Often we don't have a full explanation of what exactly the version was for.

I'm not the hugest fan of Tourist Trap so I'll see what shakes out. I somewhat doubt they're going to do a new release. However Full Moon did fix the audio on Puppet Master so who knows.

9. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

well that was quick from Japan; time for some viewing. :)

Attached Files:

10. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Anyone see a runtime listed on the pic of the back cover? I can't find one. And dos that back cover say 3 discs?!

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I think the 90 that's surrounded by kanji indicates it's 90 minutes long. It's a couple boxes over from the box that indicates the MSRP is 4,700 yen.

12. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

It's the full 90-minutes, the '3 discs' is just the number of audio options present.

From a brief look earlier it's taken from the same master as the 20th Anniversary DVD. There are the same signs of print damage scattered throughout... but overall it's much cleaner and stable in terms of PQ - so a better choice than the earlier DVD imo.

It obviously isn't a definitive 'HD' release (both PQ and Audio) - if you check out the DVD beaver review it's more the look of 20th Anniversary/88 Films 'DVD' than the new HD transfer from Full Moon.... No signs of frame rate problems anyway ;)

Some other specs;

16:9 [1080i]
    MPEG4-AVC
    DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0ch
    Region Free
    Chapter Selection
    Japanese Subtitles can be disabled
    An interview with Director David Schmoeller (identical feature as per the 20th Anniversary Koch Vision DVD) 4:3 format
    Trailer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  13. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Thanks for taking one for the team, Paul. I'll stick with my 20th anniversary dvd.

14. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

No problem, I quite like the Japanese release - the disc artwork is how the 88 Films one should have looked! ('new' artwork on that :( )

Guess we wait now for a 'fixed' HD Tourist Trap :sperm:

15. Katatonia

It does have reversible artwork of the original artwork, like all of their releases.

So is the Japanese Blu-ray just an SD upconvert?

16. Hork!

Hork! New Member

Yes :nervous:

17. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

Saw the reverse artwork.. new art is printed on the disc too! :)

As for the Japanese BR... yes, it's a SD upconvert which does improve on things slightly from the original DVD release and you do get the HD audio which is nice.

I'd only buy the Japanese release though if you've not got the 20th Anniversary DVD (and justify the cost :eek: )

18. Katatonia

The HD audio is likely just a fake sonic upscale too.

Nah, I wouldn't spend the $$ for an upconvert. But I'll bet Full Moon does nothing about the current HD fiasco, so it'll be years before anything better comes along.

19. Do you see

Do you see Member

I've had this pre-ordered from amazon for $10 for awhile now. I'm still on the fence about whether to get it or cancel. I know I am definitely not importing the Japanese BD though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  20. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

You're probably right about both there! I may buy the 88 films transfer (again) at a later date if nothing happens or wait till it drops in price.

I did promise some screen shots of the Japan BR but I sort of realised when watching earlier that I can't capture images with my current setup (no Blu-ray player on my computer) - there's probably not that much point anyway!