Trick 'r Treat - Rate It!

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by spawningblue, Oct 8, 2009.

?

Trick 'r Treat - Rate It!

1. 10

15 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. 9

20 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. 8

17 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. 7

19 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. 6

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. 5

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. 4

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. 1

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  11. 0

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I loved this one, a lot actually! So I was surprised to see a lot of people on here disappointed with it, let alone some actually hating it! So, what did you think?

2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I rated it a 10/10 because it blew me away.

The damn hype is ruining it for alot of people. I hate hype.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I gave it a 7 for the moment (only seen it the once). I enjoyed it, but can too easily see how it could be made better. Ten extra minutes (or two minutes per storyline) could've gone a long way to fleshing out the character development. As a whole the film seemed needlessly rushed at 75 minutes (not including end credits). I suppose it's too early to ask for an extended director's cut?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. I agree. I've even seen some people say it has "major problems" and was a "alright movie, but I can see why it was long-shelved cause it was problemmatic and a total cluster fuck". Ah huh? But indeed, the web, and waiting and many other things have spoiled us a bit, as well as general studio incompetence.

I personally truely LOVED it. I rated it a very strong 9 myself, and maybe even a 9 1/2 is the option was available. Great film.

5. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

I mean you no disrespect.
    I have no idea why you think it was a clusterfuck. I thought it was made perfectly. It definatly serves its purpose. It captured the look and feel of Halloween to a T. Im glad you rated it high though.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I don't think he was saying that himself. He was saying he agrees with hype hurting the opinion of the film for some, as those are all quotes that some on here have used to describe the film. I don't get it either, but there's already another thread wasted with arguing about that so I'm not going to bother in here as well. To each their own I guess, I sure as hell don't get it though.

7. To BlackAndBlu81,

Spawningblue is right.

I never said that. Re-read my last post real quick. I was talkin' about others who keep saying it was a clusterfuck, like a good friend of mine of here, and I just don't get why they would say that. And like Spawning I agree: It's a modern mini classic I shall be watching every Halloween season now (once the Blu-Ray goes on sale, I shall definately by getting another copy of it to never open for quite some time), and I actually don't get why others don't rate it as highly. I truely did wanna rate it a 9.5, as I was very entertained, laughed and was involved and genuineally scared a few times by myself. And that hasn't happened in a damn long time for me, my friends. Trust me. Hell, if the corrupted studio held some limited release, like under a thousand theaters across North America screenings of it unexpectedly, I would show up a tleast once to support it. I truely would.

As it is, I love the Blu-Ray of it, and I'm glad I got it. It's a very good quality print of a damn fine film, and hopefully, I hope others over time will see this for the underrated cult gem that it is. So a big personal thank you goes from me to writer/director Michael Dougherty to all of us who got it and enjoyed it a lot.

EDIT: And on another thread Spawning wrote this:

Spawning
    bro, it's SO true! I mean I have many late '60s onward toward the late '80s gnere films from several countries myself, in my collection of standard def DVDs and Blu-Ray, and I'm sorry but I agree: Many older films are indeed flawed in several departments and age not-so-well ALL the time; I'm not being overly critical, but 35mm film is an artform, and it's just a sad fact of life. Nostalgia for both 35mm films, animation and half hour television programs, are truely something in the mind of us as youth's to behold, and it stands to say something every now 'n then.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2009
  8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Gave this a second chance and must admit to liking it much better the second time around, I must have just been exhausted the first time I watched it. Someone called it a horror Pulp Fiction and I think the analogy is dead on. The hype did spoil it by creating impossible expectations but it's a really good film.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  9. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Easily a 9 for me, but I can see it becoming a 10 over multiple viewings. This is just an awesome, wickedly fun film. I watched it last night and I already want to see it again, probably with the commentary on this time. As others have stated, it's just a gushing love letter to our favorite holiday and I know it'll be a staple on Halloween, for years to come.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I gave it a 9, or rather a 9.5 if that would have been a choice.

It's not a perfect 10 to be honest, but I loved it and look forward to watching it again.

11. Yeah, as I stated, I also wish a 9.5 option would have been available, cause I loved it a lot, minor flaws and all. Must say it truely blew me away.

12. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I gave it a 6 out of 10 - enjoyable, even a bit above average, but it didn't thrill me

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I would rate this a 9. Watched for the first time two nights ago. Definitely the most entertaining new horror release I've seen in a while! :D Too bad we don't have a Jack-O-Lantern smilie.

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah that's the same way I felt. Thought about it all day and can't wait to watch it again. Maybe on halloween with another group of friends!

Yeah sorry guys, I should have added .5's. First time I did a rate it poll so I never thought about it until later on. But hey, if you mention that in your messages then everyone will see that it's actually a 9.5.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

A solid 9. Great great fun!

16. Nah, it's all cool, bro. :) I feel the options are overall fine enough. Plus the fact that the majority here are saying they loved it like us means enough for me. :D

17. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

It's a solid 9 for me. Turned out even better than I exepected. Right up there with Creepshow and Twilight Zone The Movie as far as horror anthologies go.

18. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I gave it a solid 8. Nothing really new to bring to the table, but the movie was chock full of atmosphere and gorgeous to look at with a really appreciated lack of shaky cam...plus it had some pretty good performance and a nice mean streak that reminded me of stuff like Creepshow and Night of the Demons. One of those rare movies that actually manages the "old school" feel without trying to hard.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Just finished watching it a second time and I've decided to up my rating from a 7 to an 8. Understand, however, that on my own personal score card I don't think there's any horror movie that rates a perfect 10. I just don't believe in them. Even my beloved Phantasm only rates a high 9.

Trust me: an 8 is pretty darned good.

20. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

I went for a 10 !

I enjoyed every second of it, great to see a new horror film that isn`t a remake or a sequel get all of us horror fans buzzing.....

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009