Trick 'r Treat - Rate It!

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by spawningblue, Oct 8, 2009.

?

Trick 'r Treat - Rate It!

1. 10

15 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. 9

20 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. 8

17 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. 7

19 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. 6

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. 5

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. 4

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. 1

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  11. 0

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

A high 7. Very fun Halloween anthology. Entertaining performances and solid gore. Low on the scares and story development, but plenty of jack o' lanterns to keep fans happy and keep me watching it again.

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

6, hype or no hype. It is what it is, but nothing special.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I gave it an 8+. I really enjoyed it and will be purchasing the Blu when the price comes down a little. I would have liked to see a little more gore in certain scenes, and background of our friend Sam.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This is a solid 8 for me. It's certainly not dramatically perfect. But the hype isn't a negative for me. I just ignore it. And there was a lot that I really liked. It's a real movie and not pure product--which probably goes a long way toward explaining why it never got the theatrical release that it deserved.

The stories are well done overall. And I strongly suspect that some of them (Paquin's in particular) might play even better the 2nd time when you know where they're going.

The elegant visual look is a huge boost too. The cinematography has more in common with Carpenter and Kubrick than the current photographic fads. It's a great-looking movie and it really shows off all of the awesome Halloween imagery.

It's also great to see a new horror movie where the characters run the whole age spectrum. In that respect, this one has as much in common with the old Amicus anthologies as Creepshow. And Brian Cox is always a plus.

Best of all, it has Halloween atmosphere in spades. For me, it captures that elusive emotional feeling you get from the holiday when you're a child--fun, mystery, and danger all rolled together. It really took me back to those days like no other film.

I'd welcome a sequel.

5. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I went with a 10, I LOVED it! I was expecting it to be decent, but this is classic-worthy. I'll be watching this every Halloween from now on, I loved everything about it. Scary, creepy, funny, fun, entertaining.... I thought it looked great, I liked the score, I loved the actors, I loved the black humor, I just loved it. It's up there for best anthology flick for me, I can't say much more than that.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

It didn't blow me away but I enjoyed it a lot as I was watching it. Plus Anna's in it and werewolves, so it gets another point for those. I gave it an 8, maybe I'd give it an 8 1/2 if there was that option.

7. Spit

Spit Active Member

Loved it, one of the best new horror movies out there. 10/10!

8. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I'm having vampyr789 flashbacks now thanks! :eek2: This movie was a cluster fuck I need say no more.

9. Whoa, really? You thought it was a cluster-fuck? Holy shit, I'm really hgonna have to disagree there, as it was hands-down the BEST genre film of the year that I've seen, I thought. But hey, alas, to each they're own.

10. geeare

geeare Guest

this movie is nothing like what i was expecting. I was thinking it would be a lot darker. that being said, I love the film the way it is. I was pleasantly surprise that I still liked it even tho up to about the half way point I still thought the film had a bit of a Disney movie feel to it, hahaha. IDK, it all came together nicely with the exception of one thing.

when we first see the young girl in the witch costume isn't she coming out of the house that the bus driver lives in? This of course didn't hit me until later in the film when the bus driver went out on his front porch and there were a bunch of Jack-o-lanterns on his front yard. Did I miss something or is it a completely different house. I spent the rest of the movie waiting for them to come back and explain this but they never did.

11. Spit

Spit Active Member

your crazy dude, this movie is great. Its so good it makes me feel like vampyr789. :D I wished I got this fanboy excited about more movies. It really got me feeling Halloweenie. Whats clusterie about it? All the stories came together at the end.

12. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I gave it a 10. To me, it was a perfect Halloween movie. It was just fun and a bit off-the-wall, which fits the holiday to a T. Some people, I think, were expecting a hardcore, gore filled, kick-you-in-the-nuts fright fest (which could be partially blamed on the trailer), and that's why they were dissapointed.

I enjoyed each story, and, unlike some, I actually really enjoyed the fast pace and short running time. I think that 82 minutes was perfect for this movie. I've read various reviews where people complaina bout "character development".....This is a horror anthology, not "Seven" or "In The Mouth of Madness". Most people I've spoken to that have seen it have related it most closely to "Creepshow", with it's comic book stylings and anthology set-up, and I agree. That said, "Creepshow" was essentially full of 1-note characters as well. The stories (in both films) are short, to the point, with 2-demensional characters that are essentially there to serve a simple purpose.

As I mentioned briefly in the other thread about this movie, I actually really enjoyed the fact that it wasn't simply "basic frame story and a handful of unrelated stories". I loved that all the stories took place in the same night, I loved that the filmmakers played with the chronology and order in which the stories were told, and I especially loved that thestories all overlapped at least 1 other tale. It's a reasonably small town and they all take place on the same night, so why wouldn't they interact/overlap with one another?

Beyond that, I loved that the movie LOOKED great. I'm not 100% sure of the budget, but it looked like a 100 million dollar movie. The sets were done well, the costumes were great, and the special ef-x were done well. The acting was all pretty on as well. Everyone seemed to know their role and everyone seemed to go for it. 2 things that tend to bug me in genre films is when an actor looked bored (not bad acting, simply realizing that an actor is phoning it in) and simply looking cheap. This film thankfully had neither.

I also really liked Sam. I loved his design, I loved his "mission", and I loved how simply he was used in most of the film for a perfect effect. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm tempted to drop 60 bucks on the Sideshow 15" vinyl doll of him, I really am.

Basically, to me, the movie was pretty perfect for what it was : A fun halloween movie with a mischevious spirit, some fun little scares, and vibe that's picture perfect for the season. I can easily see this becoming another "Halloween Week Regular" for me (alongside other seasonal favorites like "Mad Monster Party", "Halloween III : Seasons of the Witch", etc.). Like I said, it's just fits my view of Halloween perfectly, and watching it I could almost smell the dead leaves and fresh pumpkins and feel the brisk chill of cold autumn air. What more can a guy ask for?

13. geeare

geeare Guest

I too loved Sam's look. as soon as I saw him i immediately started designing the costume in my head so i could do it for halloween, haha.

14. Slackjaw83

Finding adult-sized orange footie PJs would probably be the hardest part about it, lol

15. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Gave it a ten but almost gave it a nine because of the usage of Manson's "Sweet Dreams". Talk about out of date and overplayed. Well...no just joking about dropping it by one but seriously that song is awful and it's the only song in the film!

16. Slackjaw83

That cover is strangely resiliant when it comes to soundtrack use. Hell, within a month of it being released, I was personally sick of it, so it shocks me that 12 years later, it's STILL hanging around....

17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Yes, agreed. Totally took me out of the film for a moment.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Amen!

19. And you can add me as yet another Amen. :D

Slackjaw, that was an awesome discription, dude. Truely.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's one reason why it kept me from giving it a 10. It was distracting and out of place. I cringe every single time I hear that shitty rendition of the song.