Trick R' Treat - Trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by BloodMan, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

My thoughts exactly as yours. While I did enjoy the film I found it to be a cluster fuck. I now see why this got pulled from getting a theatrical release. This movie would so have easily bombed. I did however love the the way the film looked. It really did capture the Halloween spirit.

Anyway can anybody here confirm if the blu ray is better then the DVD? I got Return to House on Haunted Hill on BR & it looks like shit. Which usually seems to be the case with direct to video WB releases. Thank you in advance to whomever answers my question.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I loved it, great anthology fun! Why in the hell did Warner sit on this one so long?

The Blu-ray has a pretty solid HD transfer. Not ultra-sharp, but surely better than the DVD transfer. The lossless audio track isn't too shabby either.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I don't think I have ever seen a Blu-Ray that didn't look better then the DVD release.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it, although I can kind of see why Warner chose not to release it to theaters. There isn't any real plotline to speak of, it's mostly just a love letter to the holiday and I can live with that. I'm sure most others couldn't. And I think, historically speaking, anthologies have never really been big box office draws. I think that seeing as how short the film is that it could only have benefitted from an extra ten minutes worth of character development.

I wouldn't call TRICK 'R TREAT an Anthology, anyways, although it's certainly inspired by CREEPSHOW. Would you consider movies like PULP FICTION or GO anthologies?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  5. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Yeah, this was another thing. Not a traditional anthology. I think Pulp Fiction feels more like one, though, because we spend a good amount of time with each segment. It's hard for me to compare that or Go to this because I think they're just much better flicks. This felt like fragments of stories that all had potential that the filmmaker just combined in short story form.

It does have fun moments and a Halloween vibe, but is that enough in this case? I still can't imagine rewatching it very often. :sleepy:

6. maybrick

You don't have to rewatch it that often, just once a year around Halloween. ;)

Of course this is all debatable, but to me an anthology is a series of short stories that are unconnected (save for being bookended by a host or being written by a common writer). They generally can't be placed in chronological order. Films such as Pulp Fiction, Go, and Trick 'r Treat, on the other hand, could have been edited chronologically and made into a regularly formatted feature if the filmmakers had only wanted to. I don't know. I see a distinction. A movie with events jumbled out of sequence isn't an anthology. Somebody needs to invent another, better word for these kinds of things.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Loved it! Crazy to say it so early and after only one viewing but it is one of my favourite horror films ever, and definitely the best anthology film made (Although like some mentioned, it isn't an anthology in the traditional sense). Everything about this film worked for me. It is pretty much perfect as I can't think o any complaints about it. Directing, acting, cinematography, editing, character and set design, story and script, ect. were all top notch. The music wasn't as memorable as I wanted it to be, but still very good none the less.

The whole movie was a love letter to Halloween with not one shot not including something related to the holiday. There were so many shots that if freeze framed were works of art and could be hung on the wall or I guess used as screen savers. I also really liked how it tried to be faithful to the genre but also turned it on its head. There were so many times that I thought they would go one route, and then they completely surprised me and came out of no where with what they did. Great examples of this were
    The dad killing the kid and then thinking he was going to kill his son only to find out that he was in on it! Finding out Anna Paquin's character wasn't the victim of a vampire but a werewolf herself setting up a trap. Actually all of the kids that die in this was a nice surprise as kids almost always survive in horror flicks.

I loved it and can't believe people didn't like this let alone hated it!? I think you all are crazy! I watched it wiht a group of people and everyone loved it. My girlfriend who isn't really a big horror movie fan liked it as well, even though she thought it was a little weird.

I give it a 9 out of 10 and it will be watched every October until the day I die. Like the Dark Knight, this is one of those few movies that while watching it you just know it's a masterpiece that will stand the test of time.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You really think it's better then something like Creepshow? Not to mention one of the best horror films ever? You have only seen it once, I think you should give it a few more viewings before committing to that statement.

9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I would easily put it above Creepshow. Not sure about Halloween.

10. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Who hated it?

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I love Creepshow and it too is one of my favourites but I like Trick 'r Treat better. Actually I starting watching Creepshow afterwards and fell asleep. Not because it was bad but because I was really tired, but I managed to make it half way through it and I feel Trick r Treat is the better film. I forgot how cheesy Creepshow is, in a good way, but it's not serious in the slightest. And you're right, I think I mentioned that I only watched it once so my opinion could change, but I really don't think it will. Like I said, I got the same feeling watching this like I did with The Dark Knight, and I just knew this is one movie that will only get better with multiple viewings. That rarely happens to me that while watching the film I feel it is perfect in every way and I got that watching this.

Yeah I don't think I liked it more then Halloween, but Halloween is probably my favourite horror film, if not one of my favourite movies of all time. It will definitely be watched every Halloween though along with Halloween and Suspiria.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

That's not including the other people that thought it was just okay. I don't really see how anyone can be disappointed with this but to each their own I guess.

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Trick R Treat was fine, but I've been watching Season 2 of Tales From The Crypt lately and that has to be a high point for horror anthology for me. I've noticed now that this Trick R Treat dvd is available to the general public, the amazon rating of five stars is going down with some even reporting one star.
    Loved EC comics and Creepshow as a kid, but tried to rewatch it lately and was bored as Hell, sold the dvd.

14. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

With the exception of the last comment I don't see how any of those quotes can be construed as "hate". I don't really understand why Trick 'r Treat fans are being so hypersensitive to the mildest of criticisms.

15. maybrick

I wouldn't put any of those people in the "hate" column. Heck, in your last quote Vlachio even says she ENJOYED it! All I see is people expressing their disappointment that it wasn't better. While Trick 'r Treat may not have met the tastes of all who watched it, they all had one or two nice things to say about it. Now the things people have said about Rob Zombie's Halloween: THAT'S hate!

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well saying the only praise you can give a film is it is nicely shot isn't saying you liked it. Saying it is pretty much a mess of a film isn't saying you liked it. Seems liek the only thing people liked about it was that it looks good. And people saying it was cliche. Did you watch the same film I did?
    Did anyone expect the kid to be helping his father with the killings? Did anyone predict Anna Paquinn to be a werewolf!?
    I was surprised throughout the whole movie and didn't predict any of them, although my girlfriend did guess Brian Cox to be
    the bus driver
    , but even that was near the end.

I don't know, I just find it weird that every time a movie gets so much praise from all the other horror sites and from advance screenings, and that it comes on here and people are disappointed with it. Horror fans are just to hard to please, and especially a lot of people on here. Films like Laid to Rest, Hills Run Red, Hatchet, ect. got nothing but praise and then people on here saw them and found things to complain about. Again, everyone's allowed to have their own opinion but it seems like for a lot of people on here if it wasn't made 20 years ago its either bad or just okay. And again, I love Creepshow, but it's really not THAT good. It's fun and has nice cinematography and a nice atmosphere but it's really cheesy. I'm sure that's what they were going for but still. The first segment about the zombie who wants his cake, or Stephen King as the redneck who finds a meteor, come on now. I KNOW for a fact that if that movie was released today people would hate it.

17. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I did, as a matter of fact.

18. maybrick

None of that explicitly says they hate it, either. There's such a thing as gray areas, you know. Hate is a strong word that gets tossed around too easily. I have a ton of movies in my collection that I'd concede as being cliché or messes storywise. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them.

And why is it perfectly okay for you to say things like that about a 20 year old movie like Creepshow, but NOT okay for people to say similar things about new movies like Trick 'r Treat? I just don't get it.

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Say what about Creepshow? I'm saying that everyone holds it to praise like it's a perfect film and it's not. I think a lot of its love comes from its nostalgia then it being a great film. There are a lot of things to like about it but it's not perfect. I can list tons of things that are great about Creepshow, I'm listing negative things though to prove that it's not the untouchable holy grail that many believe it to be. Awesome film? yes! Perfect anthology film? no!

The difference is people on here aren't saying there are a lot of things to like about Trick 'r Treat although it has problems, they are saying it was disappointing other then it being pretty. Seems like most of the comments are geared towards negative over whats positive in it. That's what I am arguing. Maybe hate is a strong word to use, but it definitely seems like more people are complaining about it then praising it and I'm trying to figure out why most on here seem to be disappointed with all these newer movies while other sites have been loving them. Is there something in the drinking water from people from this site? Can most on here not get pass the fact that it isn't the 80s anymore? I don't know? And that's what I'm trying to figure out.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

These members seem to understand what I'm getting at, and that was before a lot the negativity even came in.