Trick R' Treat - Trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by BloodMan, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Can you not phrase your questions as veiled insults?

2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Yeah I like Halloween more but I wouldn't put Trick 'r Treat too far under it.

I used to love Creepshow when I was younger and although I still like it I feel it's too long at 2 hours. It would've worked better at 90 something minutes with 2 less stories. Maybe that's why I prefer Creepshow 2. Probably just me though.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

What's "perfection"? Stephen King and George Romero succeeded in giving us EXACTLY what they wanted to. That's about as close to perfection as one could ask for. That some people wanted a seriously scary movie and got a campy fun time instead, well, that's their problem.

I think you're blowing the criticisms regarding Trick 'r Treat waaaay out of proportion. I see a lot of love here, and the few who are voicing reservation about it are being positively mild about it in comparison to RZ's Halloween or Haute Tension. There are only a handful of horror movies that were ever hailed as classics from the moment they were released. Most of them only required those reputations over time. Give people a break.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. I actually agree with everything you say, Spawning my good man. I REALLY enjoyed it, and I don't see why the studio abandoned it years ago. I even expecetd the reviews for it to be a bit more positive. But truely, I feel it's gonna become a Halloween seasonal staple for me for years to come.

And must say I'm glad someone else feel's the same way! So more power to ya! :D

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yes Creepshow wasn't meant to be scary, it was meant to be campy, but I don't think it's a perfect film. It's fun, and some of the stories are really good, The Crate being my favourite. It does a good job capturing that old comic book feel. But at the same time, I think it has its problems. The first story is kind of weak with barely any character development. King's acting isn't very good in the second story. But you know what, I can look past that and enjoy it for the great fun that it is, as I'm sure many on here can.

That's why i think it's funny when people are disappointed with a new film as they'll complain about the acting or lack of character development, ect. when guess what, it was missing in a lot of films for that era as well!

That is the whole reason I brought all of this up. It just seems like a lot of things that we let slide on older movies we are more critical about on newer movies.

But again, me and my friends enjoyed it so I guess that's all that matters. If some on here didn't then whatever, I'm done trying to make my point that maybe some on here are a little too critical with newer movies and a little lenient with older ones. I guess we'll jsut have to see what the poll says.

6. maybrick

What film is? We all have our personal preferences, and despite what you may think Creepshow isn't universally loved. There have been plenty of people over the years on this site who have said that they didn't like it. I'm not sure what the point is of pointing out your perceived flaws of Creepshow unless you think that absolutely everybody who loved Creepshow should love Trick 'r Treat, which would be ludicrous. With the exception of the opening credit's comic book appearance they're nothing alike.

But I think the lack of character development in Trick 'r Treat is a valid point. Think it was bad in Father's Day? Imagine if all of the other stories had that level of character development. That's pretty much what you get with Trick 'r Treat. Say what you will about Creepshow, but you definitely get to know the characters in "Jordy Verill", "Tide", "Crate", and "Creeping Up on You". What do you learn about Rogue from the X-Men? She's a virgin at 22 and that's about it. Doesn't tell you a heck of a lot about her, does it?

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I try to get out and you pull me back in!

I don't think any film is perfect. I just think a lot of flaws being mentioned in the same breath as Trick r' Treat are present in a lot of films that are loved and yet we seem to let them slide because they are older films. I see this happens a lot for newer flicks. I used Creepshow as an example as it has been brought up several times in this thread as a comparison.

I think a lot of those stories you mentioned worked so well is because they were pretty much one character stories, at least Jordy Verill and Creeping Up On You were. Unfortunately I don't think one character stories like that would fit in with Trick r' Treat as the Director went a different route connecting all the stories together which is why it isn't really an anthology in the truest sense. But in all honestly, did you really find much about the characters in those stories? You got a taste of their personality, but not really much character development.

8. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Why is it when I read that all I can picture is a kid picking up his bat and ball and stomping off the field?

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

haha you can picture that all you want I could care less. I don't know about you guys but I am not getting mad by this at all, just trying to defend what I wrote. Really I don't get mad with people I have never met over the computer.

And all I meant by that is that I enjoyed it so I don't know what I am trying to force you guys to. If you don't then that's just too bad I guess as it won't hurt my enjoyment of the film. As for my friends liking it again, that's all that matter to me as that means I have people to watch it that appreciate it the same way as me. It's not like I'm going to meet up with anyone on this forum and watch Trick 'r Treat with them so if you don't like it then whatever I guess.

And really, I was just trying to end this discussion as it is going nowhere.

10. maybrick

Sure. About as much as an able writer could put into a 15 to 30 minute timeframe without forcing development down your throat, at any rate. You learn enough about them to know what they're motivations are. Nothing like that is really clear in Trick 'r Treat and is pretty much left to anyone's guess. Again, I enjoyed the film and can overlook it, but in complete honesty there were things that easily could've been addressed but weren't. Yes, lots of films have plotholes, but plotholes are the kind of things that one has to judge on a case-by-case basis as to whether or not they matter to one's overall enjoyment of a film.

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Fair enough.

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Not just you, I feel the same about Creepshow in hindsight. 'The Crate' in particular I found dragged on way too long.

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I just rewatched Trick R Treat and feel it fared much better on second viewing, probably because I was'nt so exhausted. There is a ton of atmosphere that embodies the Halloween spirit and it was a breath of fresh air from the recent slasher remakes. Lots of creativity went into this film and it looks vibrant, I would recommend everyone give it a chance. I still do love the old Tales From The Crypt tv show too, ditto Karloff's Thriller, best anthologies ever IMO.

14. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

For those of you who bought the Blu-ray, did your slip cover have a Special Features sticker clumsily stuck over the Special Features section? It appears that they had the wrong Special Features listed and put this sticker over it to cover up the mistake. However, it was done so haphazardly that it's crooked and covering over the last sentence in the synopsis. Did anyone else have this and, if so, do you know what they were covering up?

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Was going to blind buy this yesterday but when I went to Wal-Mart it was $32!!! Screw that. Even on Amazon.ca it's $28. I'm not made of money and I'm not paying that much for a blind buy. Guess I'll just rent it and see if it's good, then see if I can find a cheaper price. Oh well.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yes, my Slip Cover also had the sticker to cover up the Features mistake. It was thankfully pretty much over the right place and wasn't blocking the Overview. I didn't bother peeling it off though, so I don't know what the mistake was.

17. Same thing. I actually was so pumped that I didn't wanna add it to my monthly Amazon bulk order, so I bought it opening day retail. My Blu-Ray also has said sticker, so no worries on our end, apparently. :)

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The Canadian Blu-ray slip cover does not have the sticker as it's got no mistakes. Must only be the American release that's got the printing mistake...

Anyway, just got finished watching Trick 'r Treat and I LOVED it! A really great, fun, Halloween themed flick. Captures the season perfectly and just emanates a love of all things Halloween! I enjoyed all the inter-connected stories and throughly enjoyed Sam, our Halloween mascot in the film. Speaking of which, Sam is even played by a 7-year old kid as well which makes his mannerisms and performance truly awesome. Normally it's a midget as the killer kid/youngun/dwarf/whatever. Glad they stuck with the idea and actually got a kid actor in the role! And speaking of kids, it's nice to see that they aren't off limits in the film as well!

Great performance, great stories, a great score, and of course the atmosphere just oozes Halloween. As stated by other members, this will easily be a must watch every Halloween season for years and years to come!

19. EXACT same sentiments here as well :D

20. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Actually the sticker on the back just removes claims some of the exclusive special features are in High Def as they're marked on the actual slip case. I removed it because it was also covering the synopsis as well as part of the credit block.

I find it funny they pack all the special features onto the Blu Ray and they're all in standard definition...very weird.