Troma's Stendhal Syndrome DVD

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Suicide, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I decided to buy the Troma one. It was only $15. I'm watching it right now. They did a bang up job of picking a very unlikable rapist. I know there aren't any likable rapist but still. I hate this guy. I know this has been talked about a lot, but I gotta get my thoughts in. How could Argento direct his daughter in all these rape scenes and all these violent situations? I wouldn't feel right directing even an acquiantence of mine in that type of scene. It would be really scary. The thought of your daughter being raped alone is sinister enough, but actually filming it acted out is just disturbing beyond belief. Well I guess that's jsut me though.
    Anyway about the movie itself, I think it's pretty good. I mean I'm no Argento expert, I've only seen a few of his movies, So it might be total crap compared to his others, but it's pretty good. I think she should've said, "You have the right to remain dead!", instead of "the right to shut up". That would have been good. But what do I know.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2001
  2. McBride_01

McBride_01 Guest

Stendhal Syndrome is a great film

I enjoyed Stendhal Syndrome. It's definately got to be the best out of his later films. It was alot better than Phantom of the Opera, which just didn't do much for me. Trauma was ok but it didn't hold a torch to this one. It was made in America, if I remember correctly, and it shows.

Stendhal Syndrome has got to be, in my opinion, the most stylish film he did in the 90's. It was a welcome departure from the straight forward giallo films that he is so well known for. It's more of a psychological horror film, about the effects a traumatic experience can have on the human mind. One thing I didn't like in the film were the cgi effects. They just don't belong there if you ask me. Overall though, this was a pretty good effort from Argento. It's a bit hard to follow at first, but it all comes together in the end.

I have the Troma dvd of Stendhal Syndrome, and I didn't think it was really as horrible as some people seem to believe. I'll grant you... It could have been better, but it also could have been alot worse. I'm just glad to have this film on disc.

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I think the CGI effects were kinda out of place too. Heres why. It wasn't so much that they were there, it's just they weren't done too well, I don't think. I mean I know they probably didn't have a Fight Club style budget, but it's true. I figure if you can't do it almost perfect, screw it, don't do it. I'm only saying thisbecause if they had billions of dollars to do it, the paintings becoming alive and coming out at Asia, and her entering the paintings, could've looked so bad ass. It's like death metal Iron Maiden covers. Sometimes a Death metal band will cover Iron Maiden and growl the vocals instead of singing them. It sounds so stupid, but the smart bands will cover an instrumental. Am I the only one who got that little metaphor? It made sense when I wrote it, not so much now. Oh well.

Next time you're bored at work print out a small sign that reads
    "Employees must wash genitals." up on the wall in the bathroom next to the sinks. I tried it, it got torn down in less than an hour. The whole worlds against me, I swear to god.

4. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Being a drummer in a metal band (called Septic Flesh if anyone cares), I sure got that metaphor and I laughed my ass off!

5. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Oh yeah I've heard of Septic Flesh. There's two similar sounding names, Septic Flesh and Septic Death. I always get those two mixed up. I've never heard either, so I went to the Audiogalaxy and got the song Ice Castle, figure I'd check it out. Do you still play with them? Because I know one of them doesn''t exist anymore.

6. The Chaostar

Liked it? Old song. Yeah, they do still exist. Septic Deah was typical noisy death metal. Septic Flesh have influences from death metal to dead can dance and fields of the nephilim - I think that makes them a bit different. Of course we are getting a bit old now and all have serious steady jobs (hey, I am a film critic for hell's sake!) so the future is uknown - unless we sign with Sony and arrange a tour with Britney Spears.

7. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Yum!

mmmm, Britney...

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yeah it was pretty good, I really liked the music, but the vocals were just a little too deep. I like the more higher screaming type vocals, like In Flames or Children of Bodom more. But the music was cool. I like that sound, and the fancy little drum fills at the end were sweet. What's your favorite of the songs?
    Yeah the Britney tour sounds like it could be fun. I don't see it happening though. Pop and Metal, terrible mixture. Though I did once take a Nile song and splice it with a Britney Spears chorus in the middle. It was hilarious. I still have it actually on my computer.

9. Without a doubt one of the worst DVDs I own. Horrible, unforgivable transfer, and the extras, interviews and such look like they were done by a retarded high school Audio/Visual Club. Its such an insulting job, I'd say dont buy it unless you find it for well under $10 (which it and other troma titles were on sale for at one time, just about everywhere)

10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Well I bought it but it was only $15. I don't really mind if it's not perfect, not like it cost a bunch. I saw it and it wasn't too bad on my eyes. I'm new to this DVD stuff, so I'm not against VHS yet, nor do I think I will be really. I think some of the extras were pretty good. Didn't care much for the Lloyd Kaufman interview, it seemed, well he was making fun of Argento at points. The man is Italian, he probably is around and speaks mostly Italian. I'd like to give Kaufman an All Italian interview and let him try to use a launguage he's not accustomed to with perfection. Smart ass. I mean it was decent with the questions and the answers but still.
    The Julie Strain "rap" would have been good to whack it to, if not for the nasty Troma footage here and there. She looks quite good for an older broad. I'd bang her if she paid me.:p

11. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

SEPTIC FLESH!!!!

Septic Flesh rocks, Esoptron is a killer album. I haven't been able to get into them or any doomier metal lately. The Swedish scene has become boring, and the Norwegian Black Metal scene is dying out. The Polish scene is very scathing, chilling, and evil when you listen to stuff like Graveland and Veles (I love that Transylvanian Hunger type stuff)... but I'm tiring of that too. Profanum did a real bang-up job on their final opus. The norwegian scene is changing. While I still prefer De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Mayhem's A Grand Declaration of War raised an eyebrow over here in Appalachian Wife-Beating-War-Metal country... Things are a changing. Korova changed their name to Korovakill, that is great the new album is insane. Fleurety still pulling of the weird crap... And Tormentor is back and weird as hell!!! But why is my car filled with so many glam tapes? TWISTED SISTER RULES!!!! As soon as I finish my movie project here in two weeks, the TS bones are getting tatooed on my arm... FEH!

BTW: The Troma Stendhal disc is shiite.:D

The only Troma disc I still have is Bloodsucking Freaks... Cannibal! is bullocks.

12. The Chaostar

Yeah, Transylvanian Hunger kicks serious ass.
    And Esoptron is my favorite of all Septic Flesh cd's. I hate that name though. Still sounds naive to me - but that has started 11 years ago so...

I'd love to see an epic grandiose film with huge landscape battles with the last song from Transylvanian Hunger as the perfect soundtrack........