Turkish Horror: Karanlik Sular

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by X-human, Jul 7, 2007.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Onar Films has announced their next Turkish delight, Karanlik Sular (Serpent's Tale) for "early August". Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJZV7G-oV98

A much more recent movie than Onar's done before but I trust his tastes. He's also posted the cover art. Here's some studio news about the company itself as well:

http://www.onarfilms.com/

Sure the price goes down slightly, but it's for a single movie. I really like double features and see that as better incentive for when someone goes on on a limb to watch these oddballs.

2. I love these Turkish films, still have Turkish Superman and 3 Dev Adam on order. I do hope they release other Turkish remakes in the near future, i would love to get Turkish Star Wars and Turkish E.T and especially Turkish Star Trek.

3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I don't have any releases from Onar Films but I want every single one. Dang.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I just read that the Turkish Horror double bill sold very poorly for Onar, which is insane because it's just such a fantastic set. If anyone is on the fence about this read this review: http://worldweirdcinema.blogspot.com/2007/04/dvd-review-turkish-horor-double-bill.html

or hell just get off the god damn fucking fence and buy it: http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/turkish-horror-double-bill-onar-films-p-10944.html
    with
    http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/turkish-superman-double-bill-onar-films-p-11400.html
    or
    http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/3-dev-adam-p-7452.html
    or
    http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/kilink-superman-kilink-strip-kill-double-feature-p-5726.html
    or
    http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/kilink-istanbul-p-4698.html

And officially become one of the happiest connoisseurs of bizarre cinema on the entire planet, like me.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Thanks for this, X-Human. I'll be making a big DVD order in four weeks of so, and will consider this. I have cinema from all over the world, but sadly NOT Turkish stuff. Maybe I should reconsider.

How cool does this look?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I would definitely buy some of these as I am VERY interested in all of the titles. However, $24.95 is a bit steep for me. If I could afford it, you bet I'd order all of them right now.

7. Numania

Numania Guest

I watched the Turkish Superman and 3 Dev Adam yesterday. They're awesome. They're truly bizarre.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I haven't gotten that one in the mail yet, it's infamous though in bootleg circles as being very entertaining crap.

but I think the real question is what all are you looking for?

The Kilink Trilogy is action crime which is more like the superhero serials of the 20's/30's/40's. It's B&W and comes from battered prints.

3 Dev Adam is like Kilink but much more goofy violent fun.

The Turkish horror set comes with a B&W gothic ghost story and a color giallio. The gothic one is creepy and bizarre. The giallio starts off with tons of sex and violence but by the end becomes pretty typical thriller stuff.

Also Mondo Macabro put out The Deathless Devil / Tarkan Versus the Vikings. Deathless Devil is much like 3 Dev Adam / Kilink, although a little more 007 with its supervillian. Tarkan though is the real gem, filled to the brim with action, violence, sex and nudity done with Turkish perfection.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I have to say, I'd be going in completely blind. I know nothing about Turkish cinema, the Turkish aesthetic, or any of these titles. I'm a blank canvas to be sure. I've not even read anything!

Sad but true.

10. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I have all the Onar films in my wishlist over at Xploited. I plan on getting them next month, as I'm getting a nice settlement for selling a house, and I'll finally have the money to throw away on them. I've put them off before due to wanting to buy stuff with the money I have that I'm fairly confident I'll enjoy. The only Turkish flick I've seen (that I remember, at least), was their Star Wars rip-off, which was just pure hilarity. From that, I have an idea that the films could somewhat be like the Indonesian trash I love so much :D

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just watched Serpent's Tale and it's probably the oddest of all of Onar Films' releases, in an odd way too. It's kind of an arty vampire movie like The Ninth Gate with sprinkles of Dellamorte Dellamore twists. I'm kinda use to getting pop culture trash from Onar, so this was much more visceral than I was expecting. Unlike the rest of the Onar catalog, I could see owners pulling this out when trying to impress someone with a more artistic tastes.

Unfortunately the child on the cover has very little to do in the movie. Her introduction is rather creepy at the start and I was hoping for her to do more in the film, instead she remains a no show till halfway through and pops up just to give a cliche performance with bad teeth. I'd call that the low point of the film, not only is the girl a publicity tease the majority of the screen time she has is poorly executed.

I still strongly recommend it to the collectors out there, truly a unique piece for anyone's archives.

12. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I just ordered this and Onar's Turkish Horror Double Bill discs from Xploited, should be shipping out tomorrow. Looking forward to checking them out for sure, especially after your review, it sounds exactly up my alley.

13. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Nothing comes close to the horrific power of "Seytan"...

[​IMG]

I have recently found an "official" Turkish release of it. Its quality is considerably better than the online transfers and the discs sold in pirate stores, but for some reason the "opening credits" in this version consist of someone using a hand camera to film the VHS box of the movie and some packing paper with the names of the cast & crew drawn in black marker...

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

And who put out this "official" version? Substance? Where'd you get it?

15. Luna

Luna Guest

Seytan is great. I also quite enjoyed Turkish Star Trek. I'm definitely up for seeing Karanlik Sular.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Bad news for Turkish fans:
    http://onarfilms.blogspot.com/2007/10/some-thoughts-for-future.html

It breaks me heart. I see people buying random crap they won't even like from Wal-mart throw away bins just because it's only five bucks each and then turn their nose up at this because it's $20. If I had to trade away 5 DVDs from my collection for every one I'd want to keep, I would keep every single Onar Film release and trade away 5 other DVDs to ensure that.

Maybe I'm naive but it's hard to believe there's less than 500 people interested in this stuff on the entire planet.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I finally watched Superman, and I have to admit it's not what I thought it was. Apparently I mixed it up with the Bollywood Superman from 1987. That's infamous for being spectacular crap. This however comes off like a home movie inspired more by the George Reeves 50's TV series than the 1978 Christopher Reeves movie. In true Turkish fashion though Superman bumps off a few henchmen now and then but it still lacks some of the edge of Kilink though. It just doesn't have the action packed pace of a serial.

Even still it's highly entertaining and an amazing video transfer all things considered. It's probably better than what most people saw in theaters and easily trumps any previous bootlegs. The menus are also very well done, Onar's release keep getting more and more polished as they come along.

There's a review up for Onar's follow up Tarzan in Istanbul:
    http://worldweirdcinema.blogspot.com/2007/11/dvd-review-tarzan-istanbulda.html

Not a glamorous review but it's not a glamorous movie.

And remember when you pre-order Casus Kiran from Xploited Cinema you get $5 off any other Onar release. I recommend the horror double feature not only because this is a horror board but both films are highly entertaining yet often overlooked.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys