Twilight Time teams up with Sony, releaes new Fright Night '85 releases this December

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

This is great news but I'm sure people are with me about the price has to drop for people to bite.I've never heard about this company,it sounds like a Dollar Store company.Who the hell came up with 3000 pressings either?

sean

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Twilight Time is charging $40 for The Egyptian - I don't know or believe that this will be their price point for EVERY title they license. It may depend on the title, condition of the elements and/or restoration costs, etc. I had no problem dropping forty bucks for The Egyptian (it was worth every penny) and Fright Night is a personal favorite so I'm eager to finally retire the 12-year-old (!) DVD and replace it with a fresh hi-def release, with or without extras. As others have pointed out, I'm glad this isn't going to end up on a DVD-R like every non A-List movie seemingly will be from now on so that's another plus. Also, count me in for a Blu of the NOTLD remake

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I would love to get Fright Night on bd, but promised myself to never spend in this price range again unless it was boxset, super limited or OOP, and even then, try not to.
    Why can't Sony just put it out with their own cheap titles like Big Hit? And who the fuck wanted Big Hit on bd anyway? Anyone own that? I admit to having the dvd, but I haven't watched it in 10 years + and never felt the need to upgrade no matter how many $3-10 copies of the movie I see.

I hope this doesn't mean Echo Bridge is making Miramax money and everyone is jumping on the license bandwagon, leaving us with either shit releases fom EB or Image, or overpriced "made to be collectable" discs.

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Unless there are bonus features I won't be upgrading.

5. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I would gladly pay $40.00 for a Blu-Ray of Fright Night. Several years ago, I paid $120.00 for the complete soundtrack to Fright Night on CD.

6. marcx

marcx New Member

Will ordere as soon as possible--thanks you. Welcome to Fright Night---for real.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Here is the reply I got back:

This not due out for awhile - join the mailing list to be notified of the
    pre-order announcement - thanks- Ed

So I took Evil Ed's advice and joined

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

$40 for a Fright Night BD, no thanks. However, if a NOTLD '90 BD came out, I would GLADLY pay $40 for a SE BD of that (especially if it included the uncut version).

9. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

I gotta say, the more I think about it, the more I believe this might be the some of the shittiest news I can recall. Think about it, up until now--Sony was fine handing off lesser catalog titles to Image--and they ended up being decent releases at good prices (about $11-$13 on Amazon). So along comes Fright Night on BD, but this time it's a limited edition exclusive release by some low rent Criterion wannabe--and they're charging somewhere in the vicinity of $40. The whole deal just reaks--and seems like a shitty direction to take.

I can understand old catalog titles from the '30-'50s getting these kind of releases, but a popular horror film from the mid-'80s getting this treatment is all kinds of fucked up. :fuck:

10. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Amen,

We need commentarys and Documentarys.

If it's bare bones i'll wait for Sony to release it themselves to cash in on the remake when that hits blu.

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I think this is the release that will coincide with the blu of the remake.

12. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

My question is do they ship to Canada? Cause most of these MOD sites don't. Not only that but $40 bucks is alot of money for one blu-ray I think I'm gonna pass on this.

13. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Folks, for those of you waiting for the Sony Blu Ray let me just re-affirm something to you folks - Sony had ZERO interest in releasing this film on any other format, including Blu Ray.

They specifically said there was no market for this film, or not one that was big enough for them to warrant a Blu Ray release, and now with the recent remake flopping I wouldn't be expecting them to re-release their own Blu Ray down the road packed with special features to coincide with the box office bomb remake.

If Twilight Time is only printing 3,000 of these - they are more than likely going to go fast even at $40 a pop because there are a lot more than 3,000 fans out there that love this film, and that want it on the new format who don't care about the cost.

So if you guys want to wait, best of luck to you, you'll be waiting quite a while and you'll either end up having to buy this disc somewhere down the road for triple what it's worth on eBay - because you all know someone's gonna buy multiple copies of this just to do specifically that - and be barking and growling that you didn't buy it when it was at it's original price point. Which incidentally, may not be $40, THE EGYPTIAN was a one shot deal from whomever owned the rights, Twilight Time has access to Columbia's entire back catalog which could result in the discs being more moderately priced.

I'm sorry, I hate to be that guy, but those who are just going to wait are only going to be hurting themselves honestly. If you love the film enough to want the upgrade, then you shouldn't wait, it's only going to get more pricey as time goes on because as I said - there are a hell of a lot more than 3,000 people that are foaming at the mouth for a Blu Ray release. Why Sony doesn't see this I have no idea, but they apparently don't because let's face it folks - even after the "blockbuster" remake, they still decided to go this route with it.

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

From poster "NoirFan" over at blu-ray forum...
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mo...-fright-night-1985-december-13-2011-a-10.html

From Twilight Time's FB page:
    "Q: How much will the Blu-ray for Fright Night run?
    A: $29.95. "

No new extras:
    "Our contract with Sony precludes us from generating new "bonus materials" but if the studio owns any pre-existing materials, already cleared for release, those can be included. I do not know the status of the (online) commentaries... but will check into it...we are meeting with the director, Tom Holland, next week and we will go over all this with him."

15. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Let me point out, The Egyptian isn't a one shot deal--Twilight Time has a deal with 20th Century Fox just like they do with Sony. And the price point has been confirmed to be $30, so it's not as bad as originally thought.

Like I already said though, the price isn't the issue--it's the fact that this title is getting a release like this. It's really bad news for BD collectors, because there's nowhere to go from here but down.

16. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

My mistake, don't know much about that film and honestly haven't really cared enough to look into it.

Whether or not the issue is how this title is getting release, it is more than likely going to be the only release it's going to get. I mean look at how long it took Sony to wake up and realize there was a market for NIGHT OF THE CREEPS? There was nothing legal holding that up and by the time that got released, we were on a new format.

A lot of people figured FRIGHT NIGHT was a big enough title that those online petitions weren't necessary...even though one was started as we can clearly see, it didn't do much. As a matter of fact, the FRIGHT NIGHT DVD MySpace campaign page only had about 700 people as of the last time I checked and that page was started way before MySpace had it's downfall. My only assumption is most people had the general consensus that it was going to happen anyways, so there was no need to sign up. That laid back, let things happen as they happen attitude is probably what has put FRIGHT NIGHT and other titles like it in the rut that it's in.

But in fairness, there was really no reason to believe it wouldn't come out since Sony has debuted it on every new format that has been issued since the film's release onto the home video market. Hell they even reprinted the 1999 disc so it's no longer double sided and only contains the widescreen version. So it really only did seem like a manner of time before we saw it on Blu Ray through them.

I do have to stress again though, if you're a fan of the film, don't wait to get this release, there is s 99.9% chance this is the ONLY release we're going to see on the format stateside. I'm honestly more shocked it hasn't been released overseas along with the remake of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD considering the UK and other countries alike seem to be nipping us in the butt with horror releases of catalog titles.

That would be the best alternative situation that Sony in Europe releases FRIGHT NIGHT on a standard Special Edition Blu Ray but there's no guarantee that will happen either. We can wish though right?

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Sounds good to me, as long as we get lossless audio.

I order from Screen Archives all the time for my soundtrack needs, and have only great things to say about them.

18. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Surley though, Sony must release this in another part of the world sometime. There must be plenty of casual movie fans who wont even know about the release and who don't even import. If screen arhives can get distribution in the US then maybe a company in Europe could do the same.
    I'am 50/50 about buying it $30 is alot and then shipping wont be cheap to the Uk.

19. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Arrow?!?!?!?!?!

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, maybe. But how long until it appears in another region? It could very well be years. And since this is going to be a strictly limited release, I'd gamble on picking it up early for $30 instead of passing it up and being sorry later when it's on ebay for $100+