Twin Peaks to return?

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Jun 16, 2009.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's what they call a "Pilot" episode, and they already do those with every TV series before it gets picked up. It's standard practice.

2. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre New Member

I don't agree with this at all. There were so many hands in the pot in the first and second seasons. The series was never a bastion of high-Lynch art. Also, I think a lot of writers could create interesting, Lynch-like Twin Peaks narratives.

I don't think they should bother reviving the series, however. I like the multitude of holes in the show's mythos - it's incomplete nature - and most television studios have a habit of resolving a narrative to death. (This is who Bob is, this is what the lodges are exactly, this is how they interact with our world.) As for the feasibility of reviving it, most of the actors from the original are washed up. I'm sure it wouldn't be any problem to get the majority of them, or at least a fe key players, on board. I'm thinking specifically of Cooper, Audrey, and whoever Laura Flynn Boyle's character's name was. (Sacrilege, I know.)

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Coming back in 2016 for 9 episodes via Showtime.

Teaser

via AV Club:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

So excited. The series had one of the greatest cliffhangers ever in its finale and I was always disappointed they went the prequel route with the film instead of continuing the story from where season two ended. Now I have more of a reason to pick up The Complete Mystery sooner than later and marathon the entire series, movie, and deleted scenes.

5. rift

rift New Member

great news...now can they release a stand-alone FWWM blu ray?!

6. Do you see

Do you see Member

I picked up the box set and watched S1/2 last month and just watched FWWM last night (which I hadn't seen since it was in theaters)…last night I say! And now I read this news. Super excited for this and to see the direction Lynch takes (it has been stated it will take place 25 yrs after S2).

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Finally we'll find out how Annie is! :D

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm in the middle of season 2 right now on the boxset. Perfect timing for this news.

9. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I did a triple spit take when I saw this headline on the web earlier. Wow, Bob, Wow! :D

I'm cautiously optimistic. Hope they can figure out a good way to deal with the passing of Frank "Bob" Silva. He was such a huge part of the Black Lodge mythology and so terrifying. You could try casting a lookalike but it would feel hollow. And as much as they would want to honor the original cast, I hope they don't try and shoehorn every former cast member back into the story. Any time they do a "reunion" show/movie it's always so awkward the way every character is still around behaving the same way they did 20-25-30 years ago. But I trust Lynch to take characters into unexpected territory and develop storylines more organically.

10. rift

rift New Member

I assume it will be an all new story with all new cast as the main characters, with the old cast filling in more of the background, and Agent Cooper's story being more of a book-end or thematic side story

11. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I can't believe that. Maybe that's the route they'll go, but Cooper, Truman and the rest of the bunch are so beloved, I would think they'd still be a central part of the story. My big question is with Frank Silva dead, what are they going to do about Bob?

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It's a tricky proposition but I wish them well. I wonder if the current success of such serialized mystery series like PRETTY LITTLE LIARS,REVENGE and SCANDAL helped Lynch sell this to Showtime ? Nostalgia is great but companies usually wanna see practical evidence that there's a market for a property before they greenlight. Perhaps the money men looked at the success of some of the current shows and felt the time was right to bring TWIN PEAKS back. It's certainly culty and was definitely an inspiration to a lot of todays TV producers. PLL's Marlene King has always claimed she was a fan.

I hope it works.

13. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'm pretty excited about this as well. I've never been a big fan of Lynch and been pretty vocal about my issues with him. But, I've always felt that Twin Peaks brought out the best of him.

And, considering how busy it seems like MacLachlan has been recently, I would be surprised if he wasn't the star of this new run as well. It certainly seems like he wants to be pretty active these days.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I'm excited that Twin Peaks will return, but disappointed that it will only be for 9 episodes. I realize the first season of Twin Peaks had only 7 episodes. Basically I miss the days of 20 or more episodes per season being the norm for a tv show. The best part though is that David Lynch will direct all 9 episodes. :)

Here is a new interview with Mark Frost discussing Twin Peaks: http://tvline.com/2014/10/06/twin-peaks-showtime-cast-new-episodes-spoilers/

15. maybrick

Bob was just a manifestation of evil. He can look like anybody. The black lodge predates sleazy looking white men in denim jackets (as well as jazz music).

16. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I'm not going to open a debate about how things work in the black lodge, or anything Twin Peaks (it would be interminable and solve nothing!), but I don't know if I agree exactly. The Little Man, Mike, Bob and all the black lodge characters seemed like pretty solid manifestations or whatever you'd call them. Maybe Bob can look like anyone, but he always looked like Frank Silva. Mostly I'm thinking about the last scene in the series and how/if it will connect to the new season. You know, Cooper's reflection in the mirror.

17. maybrick

I'm personally hoping that they pretend that this is Season 27 and Dale Cooper was cured of being Bob in an unbroadcasted Season 3. They can make a casual reference to it but leave it primarily in the past.

18. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/16/-twin-peaks-lynch-comments