Twin Peaks to return?

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Jun 16, 2009.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Lynch gave some very specific wording about money for scripting... I think he wanted to spend more time=money on rewrites and Showtimes just wanted to shoot as they currently have it written.

MacLachlan and some of the others may have a clause saying Lynch has to be in or they're out.

What's also interesting is this was rumored before but Showtime indicated everything was locked. This may be a strong arm tactic on the part of Lynch. We'll see if it bites him in the ass. It's hard to imagine Twin Peaks really as "Twin Peaks" without him (or Mark Frost).

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

So says a fan. Showtime, that business trying to make a profit, obviously thinks otherwise.

I also agree that this may just be a tactic. Or it is in fact dead and wasn't meant to be. Sucks.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Had a feeling this might happen. Whatever the reason, it's sad. Still, revivals are tricky. If they aren't done perfectly they just feel...off. Even with the originals on board.

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

This is why you don't announce deals until they are signed. Lynch had leverage after the announcement. Looks like he tried to use it, but the studio wouldn't budge.

5. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

what most people seem to forget is that Lynch himself only directed a couple of episodes from the previous seasons (6 in total) so other directors taking a shot at it doesn't have to be an immediate fail

though i hope that something might be worked out after all

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's been pointed out to me that what Lynch really means is that the scripts call for a bigger budget then Showtime has allotted and therefore he won't do it without the proper budget. I was thinking this was more of a Godfather 3 scenario: need more time for rewrites.

To a degree I wonder if Lynch has a firm enough grasp of how cheaply high quality TV can be made these days. He hasn't done much in almost ten years now. None the less worked in the rebirth of cable TV shows.

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Real bummer but if you watch Hannibal you realize greatness can be achieved on a budget without looking like it's on a budget.

8. Workshed

9. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

"Twin Peaks without David Lynch is like a cherry stem without a knot."

What Sherilyn Fenn should have said

10. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Looks like this is back on:

11. Workshed

Delayed until 2017.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Christ-in-Hell. The first sentence in the article pretty much nails it.

"See you again in 25 years..."

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

So, for those of you that have seen the new series, don't tell me anything other than this: Is it like the old series or more graphic like Fire Walk With Me?

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I would definitely lean more towards Fire Walk With Me as far as content, although in a lot of ways it's way different from that in a whole new way. I've only watched the first two episodes so the scope has been rather limited so far, but each episode seems to sprinkle in more of the goofy characters and charm from the show. One old character in particular seems to be taking on a more commanding role in the new series.

chancetx likes this.
  15. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I would second what Grim posted. I've only seen the first 2 episodes as well (episodes 3 & 4 are available on-demand and via the Showtime app.) There's a very different "feel" from the original TV series - and from the movie for that matter. The look is very different too. The original series always seemed to be washed in a reddish tint and everything looked so bright and pristine. This one has a more natural color scheme which made the familiar Twin Peaks sets (the police station, the hotel) look rather flat. Hard to describe in words but if you've seen the original series recently you'll notice the difference. The biggest thing for me is Lynch isn't using Badalamenti's score nearly as much so far. The music was always such a huge part of Twin Peaks for me that I really noticed how infrequently it was used and I missed it. Maybe that will change as the series goes on.

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

My prediction is
    they are slowly creeping in more of the town with each episode. I'm pretty certain as the show continues we will get more of the town and that cozy vibe, which includes the music. I could be completely off here, though, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

chancetx likes this.
  17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Watched the four episodes so far and loving the new Twin Peaks. It definitely seems to be pulling a vibe more from Lynch's entire output than just the original Twin Peaks/Fire Walk With Me as far as expanding on the show/settings and is quite unsettling, terrifying, and nightmarish. I think audiences who aren't versed in Lynch and only versed in Twin Peaks might be feeling even more lost than normal. While there are definitely some things about the show that haven't been sitting right for me, I won't judge them or explain that until I've seen the whole series since it could be something that works itself out or is justified under the span of the season, but I'm looking forward to the next episodes!

chancetx likes this.
  18. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I love the original series and can't wait to see this new one. I saw the pilot in 1992, "Fire Walk With Me" in 1992 and (FINALLY) the entire original tv series last year. Enjoyed it!
    I'm curious why Sherilyn Fenn's credit on the 2017 series is no longer on imdb.com...????

19. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Gotta say, I don't know quite how I feel about this after the first two episodes. It is definitely a very different feel from the original Twin Peaks. If anything it reminds me a lot of what I remember from Inland Empire. And I hated Inland Empire. Like IE, there are some good moments in these first two episodes. But there's a lot of stuff that I felt was dragged out just too long. And the characters lack the intrigue and charm (so far) of the original run. And, in general, something just felt hollow about the whole thing.

It also lacks the lush imagery of Lynch's film work. This was very obviously shot on video and, while I am normally a big advocate for the format, it does make things look a bit cheap and flat at times. I'm actually rather surprised at how dull a lot this new run looks.

And, as others have mentioned, there isn't a lot of music this round which may be adding to my sense of hollowness in the show.

But, there is certainly something unique about the show. For better or worse, it does have a sense of conviction in what it wants to be. It's certainly unlike anything else I've seen. But, I can't say yet if that's a good thing.

If it wasn't for the legacy, I don't think I would have continued watching. But, I've always felt that TP and FWwM were some of the best things Lynch has done, so I'll stick with it.

chancetx likes this.
  20. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Well I stayed up way too late last night and watched episodes 3 & 4 on demand. I have to say I'm hooked at this point. It's definitely not the Twin Peaks from the 90s (agree with MorallySound that it's pulling elements from Lynch's entire filmography) but the story is picking up, more and more familiar characters are appearing and I can't wait to see how things play out. Definitely stick with it if you've only seen the first 2 episodes. By the end of episode 4 you'll definitely see some real direction to the story (though there are still plenty of Lynchian WTF scenes.)

MorallySound likes this.