Twin Peaks to return?

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Mr.G

Mr.G Member

I've only watched the first two episodes but it felt like a weird Eraserhead meets Inland Empire with a twist of Mulholland Drive. Not bad but likes others wrote, so far it doesn't feel the same as the original.

2. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I did episodes 3&4 last night as well. And, I gotta say the show really turned around for me right with the beginning of 3. There's still a bit of a sense of some scenes going on too long - the Brando scene in particular. But, overall, I am definitely hooked as well. Some of the returning characters are surprising and entertaining. And, I gotta say that Lynch is actually a pretty good actor. He is surprisingly effective in the scene where he turns up his hearing aid.

And the opening of ep. 3 feels like a nice continuation of Eraserhead, pulling from the best elements from that film.

Also, these two episodes looked a lot better than the previous two. Though, I am still surprised/disappointed at the minimal use of music.

If any of you reacted like I did to the first two episodes, I'd say, at least give ep. 3 a try and see if that doesn't change you opinion as quickly as it did for me.

chancetx likes this.
  3. sade

sade Member

God the last 3 eps were such a bore. That Dougie story line is so annoying.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm liking it over all, but the show just confirms more my suspicion that David Lynch is just an asshole with nothing but contempt for his audience. The "artist" license only takes you so far. He knows EXACTLY what Twin Peaks viewers have been craving for a quarter century but still refuses to deliver anything more than an incoherent plot peppered here and there with non sequitur skits by original cast members. As I said, I'm enjoying it but it hasn't exactly been a totally fulfilling experience as of yet.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Completely disagree since I've personally been loving every single thing about this new Twin Peaks. Since only a third of the show has aired there's lots of time to go back to the other story threads from the earlier episodes they have yet to build upon and tie into the whole, and the Dougie storyline has got to be vital seeing as it's been given the most screen time so far is likely because it contains the most importance to the progression of the story in this season and obviously deals directly with
    Agent Cooper escaping the Black Lodge back into reality as we know it. And seeing as Agent Cooper has always been the central character it makes sense it's progressing as it is with Dougie considering Cooper's lost his marbles on his journey back.

satans-sadists likes this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I've watched all 7 episodes so far. Really been loving the ride. The latest episode to air was very eventful & I really enjoyed the plentiful references to the original series.

Enjoyed the Doc Hayward cameo. I liked Frank Truman's office setup & Skype conversation. Glad to learn that Audrey survived the bank explosion at the end of the original series. Really creepy though to learn that the Evil Cooper visited her in the hospital while she was comatose. Any chance that Richard Horne might be the son of Audrey & Evil Cooper?

Thought it was pretty clever how Laura Palmer & Annie Blackburn fit into the story here with three of the secret diary missing pages discovered. Also, the humming sounds coming from within the Great Northern Hotel coinciding with the return of Dale Cooper's old room key. The spirit of Josie Packard perhaps?

Speaking of Dale, it was nice to see a flash of the old Agent Cooper when Dougie & Janey were attacked by Ike the Spike. Dale's old self-defense & survival skills kicked in.

More than just some nods to nostalgia, I thought Episode 7 was a strong one. Looking forward to seeing what awaits us next.

MorallySound likes this.
  7. MorallySound

With Ep8, Lynch proves once again he can completely change what television means/can do as just when you think Twin Peaks can't get any weirder, any more nightmarish, any more shattering or vast,
    BOOM (literally),
    he ignites the rug underneath and hurdles you into oblivion. So many more mysteries unveiled, but obviously this hints at the
    birth of it all.
    What at trip!

And now we gotta wait an additional week before the next episode since there's no new episode next week. Oh, the suspense!

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Still pondering it today, but yes, Episode 8 was an awful lot to process. Couldn't be any more different than the previous episode, which was pretty conventional by David Lynch standards.

After "THE" Nine Inch Nails performance, this episode just went to some of the most inaccessible territory Lynch has ever explored. Bewildering & bewitching. Some moments reminded me of Eraserhead. The real question now is "Where the hell do we go from here?"

No getting around it, the woodsmen were very spooky entities.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    MorallySound likes this.
  9. maybrick

Ha. This episode is getting heaps of praises from what I've read online, but it once again confirms to me that David Lynch is an asshole. I'm not angry about that. In fact I think it's kind of funny. But I really do think that he gets sincere delight in fucking with people's heads by not giving them what they want to see. "Oh, you liked last weeks episode which really seemed to advance the storyline? Here's 40 minutes of slow pan shots of static and fireballs. Oh, and Nine Inch Nails. This will tide you over until our next episode TWO WEEKS from now."

10. MorallySound

From the get-go we knew Lynch signed on for complete creative control, so people expecting ordinary television are the assholes. And Lynch is one of the few working artists/filmmakers who never sacrifices his artistic integrity, vision, and interests to appease others or make it easily palpable. The fact that Lynch can also completely shake up the audience and obliterate the format of the show is, and has always been, an element of Twin Peaks. And Ep8 told exactly what it needed to in the format it did, and those thinking it's just static and fireballs clearly have not been paying attention to the evolution of the show/story as it answered and asked - in a more abstract way, sure - a lot of questions. I personally can't stop thinking about the implications of this episode.

11. maybrick

Horseshit :lol:

Enough with the "artistic integrity" already. By being an apologist for every choice Lynch makes you choose to throw critical thinking out the window. Ultimately there was nothing about this episode that "needed" to be told. Nobody "needed" to know the origin of Bob any more than we "needed" to know the origin of Darth Vader. People like you sit in awe of the "master artist" at work are probably the ultimate victim of Lynch's joke with the audience. If he was a chef he could serve you shit on a plate and you would still insist it's mousse. He's fucking with you most of all. He's got you so damned hypnotised that you can't even recognize a filler episode when you see one.

12. MorallySound

What is wrong with artistic integrity, especially when it directly pertains to how the show came about/is constructed? Why, if something isn't linear or straight-forward, or easily comprehendible, automatically qualifies it as "a joke on the audience"? How do you know this episode is filler or the events in it didn't "need" to be told when the series isn't even half over? Art is not for everyone, and it shouldn't be, and I can understand audience reservations if you're expecting to be catered to (and from your posts it actually sounds like you aren't much of a fan of Lynch in general) but to just attack those of us who have been enjoying it's delineations and choices just because of your personal frustrations is what's horseshit.

13. maybrick

Actually, the only person I initially "attacked" is Lynch, but you saw fit to turn it around on me and anyone who has the audacity to question or criticize him. But you are right. I'm not enough of a "fan" of his to smell his shit and think it's roses (thank God). I enjoy a lot if his work, but not all, and in case you missed it, I DID say in this thread that I'm enjoying the reboot for what it is. I'm just going to insist on retaining my independent thought and refraining from labeling everything he does as "genius". And yeah, I do think this episode was a huge joke. I mean, how can you just sit there for 20 minutes with a straight face at the absurdity of the 1945 nuclear detonation sequence? It isn't even original. Kubrick beat him to it by nearly 50 years.

14. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I agree with maybrick about Lynch being an "asshole" but for all of the opposite reasons.

I love the surreal/experimental material and actually wish there was more of that. It's the long drawn out narrative sections that really test my patience with this new run. All these scenes where we watch characters endlessly shuffle around with long drawn out pauses are when I start to think that Lynch is taking the piss and laughing at the audience for their willingness to sit though these pretentious segments.

But, I loved every bit of ep. 8 once we jumped back to the atomic bomb. That was when I felt show was finally focused and original.

15. maybrick

I wouldn't say that you are "opposite" of me. In fact, most of what you say corresponds precisely to what I'm getting at. Like the shot a week or two with the man sweeping the floor, part of Lynch's humor seems to be holding shots well beyond the breaking point for most people. The "Birth of Bob" sequence could have been shaved down to ten minutes instead of twenty and we wouldn't have missed anything of consequence. You could explain this predilection any number of ways, but I see it as either a) he enjoys annoying people or b) he didn't storyboard enough material out to fulfill the contractually obligated 60 minutes (ie: filler). Love it or hate it, either way for all of his reputation as an artist, I somehow suspect his rationale is far less lofty than his "true fans" believe.

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've been digging the new series from the start, but honestly, shit started to get real great with episode 7.
    Further hints of Cooper reclaiming his memory of who he was, the revelations about Diane, etc. Ben Horne getting the key (I think this will all tie into the Twin Peaks Police Department figuring out that Cooper is out there.
    And then Episode 8. WOW. David Lynch basically made his version of a 50's atomic horror film. I have all kinds of theories about what might be going on
    Obviously, man creating the most significant tool of destruction led to the creation of BOB. I think Lynch was uncharacteristically direct in his approach there. Going forward from that, I kinda got some religious overtones from the Laura Palmer part. As if they created her so that she could be sacrificed at some point, so that Cooper could be brought to Twin Peaks, and then he would be tied intrinsically to BOB from that point forward, leading to a point where he can ultimately face BOB and his double and destroy that evil. Perhaps the bug was that essence of Laura Palmer released into the world? Perhaps the kids were a young Leland and Sarah Palmer? Perhaps the bug goes into the young Sarah and puts the soul/energy/whatever of Laura into her. I noticed that the bug was affected by the smoking man's words the same as other people, but still somehow fought on.
    I don't know. The episode was horrifying and beautiful all at the same time.

MorallySound likes this.
  17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I was torn between waiting until the finale to binge it or watching it weekly. Decided to split the difference.

Being that I've only seen up to episode 5, I should probably wait until I'm fully caught up to contribute to the conversation. I do have to agree with maybrick that in a lot of ways Lynch seems to be deliberately fucking with the audience, but being familiar with his work should we expect any less? It's return to Twin Peaks that barely returns to Twin Peaks, giving the fans little five minute teases each episode of the town they love.

That said, I'm thoroughly enjoying the show as a stand-alone work by Lynch. Really, it's the Twin Peaks stuff that has been the filler so far. I'm hoping that all 18 episodes won't just be about Cooper's return to Twin Peaks from the Black Lodge, but I'm on board either way.

To the detriment of the series, I will say it's a perfect example of film vs digital and the modern aesthetics of set design. Compared to the original run of the series, this new series looks very bland and cheap. I do long for the full-fledged return to the town of Twin Peaks, with it's stunning locations and beautiful rustic log interiors. Instead, a majority of the show has taken place in an ugly homogenized Vegas suburb with bare wall interiors. Visually, it's not much to look at.

maybrick likes this.
  18. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I agree - the original series looks great. This color correction technology is making current movies and such look so damn bland. One could try and argue that it's all about the psychology of the scene but script and acting should take care of that with no problem especially in a David Lynch project.

19. MorallySound

It's not colour correction, it's that The Return is shot on digital and not film like the original series. Colour correction has always been around since the dawn of film since you had to colour time your prints, and has only improved with digital technology since there is now so much more control with the digital intermediate process than there ever was with chemical colour timing. The new Twin Peaks, yes, does look blander than the original show because it's not hiding it's digital origination and look and they probably spent less time digitally tinkering with it's 'look' because of the budget and time they had to produce the show.

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Whatever they're doing is making for some depressing looking movies, tv shows and commercials.

Erick H. likes this.