Twin Peaks to return?

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Jun 16, 2009.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I think the only thing I don't like about the new season is Laura Dern as what is basically a bull dyke version of Diane. Totally seemed forced and one-note. It's interesting that they seem to be hinting that she's a villain now, but her acting is annoying and one-note and nobody dresses like that.

Good news is that part 10 but the best yet and it flies by. Lots of dark stuff and I love the drug-infested scummy shithole that Twin Peaks has become. It makes perfect sense in relation to where it was headed in that last episode and Fire Walk with Me years ago. Shame that there are only 8 hours left. We won't get much time with some of these characters. Jim Belushi is amazing and it was so cool to see him share the screen with Tom Sizemore. Kyle is rocking it in his multipler versions of Cooper.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've just gotten the vibe that she is basically a victim of intimate-partner violence who is still under the control of her abuser. It seems like she was always a devoted friend (and maybe more) of Cooper. Dopple-Coop obviously did something awful to her, but for all she knows, that's the real Cooper and her devotion to him has gotten the best of her.

I love that the whole
    Dopple-Cooper and Audrey Horne having a child
    fan-theory actually seems like it might just be the real thing.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That might well be the case, but I was thinking that the reaction of Ben Horne's ex wife blaming him and demanding money would make far more sense if the kid was an illegitimate child. In which case, I suspect the mother may be Donna.

4. indiephantom

Yeah, Donna...I totally want to see what is up with here. After 11 hours, I'm surprised at how many cast members haven't been seen or, in some cases, even mentioned. I think Audrey was killed at the end of season 2 (bank explosion).

5. indiephantom

Episode 11 was pretty crazy and quite hilarious. Without spoilers, the ending was like a comic version of Se7en. LOL. Very cool.

6. maybrick

If I have any criticism with the new show, it's that the Town of Twin Peaks was a representation of the mythologized 50s style all-american apple pie home town but with a seedy underbelly. What we have here instead is more like a Rob Zombie reimagining of Twin Peaks. People like Leo seem more the rule instead of the exception. Dougie's suburban Nevada neighborhood is more "Twin Peaks" than Twin Peaks is nowadays. It's more in line with what a town like this would be in reality, but viewers fell in love with its quirkiness. We should all still want to live there but really the only thing this shithole still has going for it is the Roadhouse can still pull in decent bands.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's been mentioned in the new Twin Peaks that Audrey survived the bank explosion but is in a coma, and Dopple-Coop was seen leaving her hospital room not long after she was admitted. Hence the theory that Richard Horne is possibly the spawn of Evil Dopple-Coop and comatose Audrey Horne...

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I think this is actually emblematic of suburbs across America. Cities are becoming popular again. Millennials are moving back into urban centers, leaving their parents and the seedier part of their generation behind as more lower-income city dwellers get pushed out into the suburbs. What Twin Peaks looked like 25 years ago and what it looks like now are basically a mirror of the town I grew up in. Not saying this is the case for ALL of the suburbs, but maybe Lynch is tapping into the fact that some small towns just die a slow, painful death.

9. maybrick

I understand that, but what I'm saying is that Twin Peaks shouldn't be a mirror of today because it wasn't a mirror 25 years ago either. It was almost stuck in a faux 50s time. It was otherworldly. Now its just worldly.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/08/twin-peaks-return-showtime-david-lynch-1201864448/

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Last night I watched the final two episodes. It's been less than 24 hours & I am still pondering what went down. I've been a Lynch fan a long time & it would naïve for any of us to expect a nicely tied up finale without any loose ends. Doubt I'm the only one here that would like to see the series continue, though I more highly doubt that the general consensus here was one of satisfaction either for the conclusion or "Return" series as a whole.

Found this (in my opinion) well-written article which attempts an explanation of the ending:
    Still some things lingering for me personally:
    In no particular order - 1) Where is Audrey Horne? Is she still in a coma? Is she in an institution? The end of episode 16 following her dance at the Roadhouse was disturbingly abrupt. Audrey was one of my favorite characters on the show & I would like to know. 2) Who the fuck is Billy? Audrey mentioned him a bunch of times as did some other characters. How does he fit into everything? 3) What happened to Diane? I am referring to her seeing a double at the motel & then disappearing the next morning.

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Well, now that it's over, I'd say it was a fun event. The show was certainly interesting watching, alternating between fascinating and frustrating. It had the best of Lynch and the worst. Even if I can't say that it was satisfying, it was well worth the time invested and I do suppose that I will miss the show quite a lot. It may have pissed me off for long stretches at a time, but there's no denying that it was a very original viewing experience unlike any other television show I've seen.

And, I honestly don't know if I want another season. I would certainly watch it if one happened. But, I do like the frustrating way this current run ended. And, besides, my memories of how fast season 2 turned to crap are likely too strong to make me hopeful that a 4th season wouldn't follow the same pattern.

Side note: Sheryl Lee still has the best horror scream in film history

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

"The stars turn and a time presents itself.
    December 5, 2017
    Blu-ray and DVD!" - David Lynch

[​IMG]

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/david-lynch-twin-peaks-finale-season-4-details-1201876433/

MorallySound likes this.
  14. maybrick

It must be great to attain a reputation as a great artist, because that means that from that point on you don't even have to try anymore. You can churn out to most brainless piece of shit imaginable and your sycophantic audience will still consider it a work of genius.

...and I say this as a person that ultimately enjoyed The Return, but I'm not going to sit back and pretend that in many ways it was deeply flawed. It just seems to me to be a copout for Lynch to say "everybody can have their own interpretations". While I can agree with that to a certain extent, it also leaves the impression that he doesn't have a clue what it all means either, and that he just made it up as he went along.

sade likes this.
  15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Excellent news about the forthcoming Blu-ray set. I watched the Return on Crave (the only place to see it in Canada) and their streaming quality is terrible so I can't wait to re-visit The Return, and the rest of Twin Peaks, again on Blu-ray.

For those who have watched The Return here's my favourite theory article on the show, and specifically the questions posed in the two-part finale: https://www.waggish.org/2017/twin-peaks-finale/

satans-sadists likes this.
  16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Twin Peaks: The Return has been officially announced on Blu-ray.

[​IMG]