Two from Tobe in September

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jul 12, 2006.

1. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

i will be getting both.

2. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I am definitely buying TCM, I will rent Eaten Alive. Maybe I will buy it. Haven't see it for some time.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I always thought Eaten Alive was an underrated fun film, not sure if it's good enough to double dip though. On the other Hand TCM is given.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Of course, I'll be double-dipping for TCM (although I wish the metal box were optional!) but probably not for EATEN ALIVE. I bought the previous release and was very disappointed; still haven't given it a second look.

5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

What the heck is Eaten Alive like? Both boxes look hilarious!

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Tcm Is Also My Most Wanted Dvd Of 2006 Also I Will Be Getting That Same Day Is Nightmare On Elm Street Special Edition 2 Dvd Set And Street Trash Meltdown 2 Disc Edition I Probably Won't Get Eaten Alive Dark Sky Edition Mainly Because Of The Other 3 I Am Getting And Also I Am Pleased With The Elite Disc Which I Bought Last Year

7. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I definetely want to see that new dvd of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and the commentary with Marilyn Burns sounds interesting, I bet she has some stories to tell about the making of the movie. Also it has to look better than the dvd I bought like 6 years ago! That one looks pretty poor

8. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Mine too. I've already got it pre-ordered with Amazon.com. Pioneer's transfer sucks badly and I'm so glad that this horror classic is finally getting the royal treatment it deserves. This DVD set has been overdue for years. I can't wait to see the remastered 16x9 enhanced transfer! :banana:

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I wonder how this new transfer will compare to the R2 SE....anyone seen any screen shots? I don't believe that the R2 is anamorphic, which will be a factor when I finally get a widescreen TV.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i wonder if retailers like circuit city and wal mart will get this i remember when pioneer re released TCM they got it but they have not carried any dark sky titles and circuit city had this also as well as henry portrait of a serial 20th anniv dvd but that is it for all dark sky titles with TCM being one of most popular movies and the prequel hitting theaters and part 2 getting special edition dvd treatment one would think this version of TCM will put dark sky on the map for all retailers

also i was surprised that finding the 2 april 25th dark sky dvd releases don't go near the park and magic were very hard to find and kinda still is

11. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

I agree with Big Daddy Horse, the Eaten Alive cover sucks, I like the original better, but I will buy it none the less. This is the year for making me double and triple dip. Not only TCMbut TCM II, Halloween, 25 years of Terror, are among several that will make me buy...yet again!!!

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with my Pioneer Texas Chainsaw Massacre dvd, so I doubt I will double dip-just how good can a low budget film from over thirty years ago look?? As for Eaten Alive, all prints I have seen for this film were beyond abysmal and really detracted from me being able to enjoy the film. That being said it seemed pretty lowbrow and cheesy, doubt I will buy that one either. Nonetheless, this is big news for Hooper completists.

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Here we go again. It can look as good as the film it was shot on, which is a lot better than dvd especially when the old dvd had some compression artifacts which are not part of the film. This newer dvd is coming from an HD transfer so it should look a hell of a lot better than the old pioneer release. Notice I said should as there is always room for mistakes.

14. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

The only people who are satisified with the ancient Pioneer TCM disc are those that:

a) don't care about better picture quality and/or
    b) don't have a modern widescreen TV

Seeing that I care about both, I'm picking this up without reading any reviews if the disc is anamorphic finally--and it is.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  15. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

ill most defiantley pick up the TCM 2 dvd set.

16. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Amen to that. Thank you. I'm amazed that some people are not only putting down this new transfer from Dark Sky, but also defending Pioneer's transfer. I wish these people would wait until they've seen Dark Sky's transfer on their TV screen before dismissing it. Pioneer's transfer should not be defended. It's crap. There are a lot of things wrong with it. It's overly dark. It suffers from color bleeding. It was encoded badly resulting in some images on the screen to appear "jumpy." There are lines occassionally running through the picture. And if nothing else, it's non-anamorphic. Dark Sky's transfer (in addition to being totally remastered) is 16x9 enhanced. Is there anyone out there that would really choose a crappy non-anamorphic transfer over a remastered 16x9 enhanced transfer?

TCM was never supposed to look like crap, but that's how it looks on the Pioneer DVD.

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I've been waiting for Eaten Alive. Really like that movie so I'll be picking it up for sure. The copy I have of it is pretty lousy, get kind of dark in spots so I can't tell what's going on. Hopefully that'll be improved in the new disc.

TCM....nah. Maybe if I only buy half of the film and they give me a discount.

18. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

So this new DVD release of TCM is the one Don May Jr. supervised for HDTV a couple or years or so ago or is this a totally different/new transfer?

New can be better but not always ... I'd be more happy to know this is the Don May Jr. supervised transfer.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

19. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

John, you can rest easy. This new transfer from Dark Sky is the exact same one that Don supervised for VOOM in 2003. Don has said that he's made a few more tweaks since then to make the transfer even better for this DVD release. Here's a comment he posted last year.

20. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Damn, I can't wait to see this transfer.