Tzameti (13)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by aoiookami, Oct 7, 2006.

1. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

[​IMG]
    The trailer for Tzameti has been floating around the net for awhile now, it can be viewed at quicktime.com under the trailer section, it might be able to give you a better understanding of the plot than I can in this review. Essentially the movie is about a young man who, by fate, comes into posession of a letter that gives only a promise of a large sum of money, and has a train ticket and some instructions on where to go and what to do. Having just been ripped-off of a previous roof repair job he needs the cash and decides to see what this is all about. Upon arrival of the letter's destination he finds out he's been invited to a sick game that he may not make it out alive from.

I read alot of reader reviews about this movie before I saw it, and many of them said to see the movie without knowing what the 'game' is about, although the game itself is basically what the trailer is composed of, so it's your own choice if you wish to know about what the game is or not. I knew what it was before the movie and felt it had no big effect so....

The game is essentially a massive game of Russian Roulette. 13 playes, each with a gun and a bullet in a chamber. They stand in a circle and hold the gun up the the back of the persons head infront of them. Bet's are placed on the winner like a horse race by shady looking rich guys.

I was really dissapointed by this flick, after watching the trailer I had high hopes that it might be a great, stylish and snappy mix of Saw and Battle Royale, but it turns out to be a really slow moving, under-developed movie that hardly tap's its huge potential.

Some of the things I didnt like; It was too 'clean'. I've seen PG rated movies that were more gritty and violent than this, you'd expect a movie that is about a game where people shoot each other in the head at point blank would be a bit more 'dirty', but there is hardly any blood at all. When a person is shot, they either dont show it, or they show a nice, clean, slow motion shot of the person falling down, not so much a drop of blood coming out. Not that it's a 'blood make horror good' type thing, but for a movie that focuses on the main character's struggle through the game and horror of what's going on around him, you'd think they'd make it a bit more gritty.

Which brings up my next point, it's
    PAINFULLY obvious who wins the game. They spend so much time with the main character leading up to the game there is no doubt throughout the entire movie that he wont win. Which basically gives the game no tension at all.....
    because we learn nothing about the other players in the game, literally. They're given little hints of personality, for example one huge fat guy who seems to always be in pain, but we never learn who they are, why they are there, what they are like etc. Which imo is the #1 flaw in this movie. There was SO much potential for character development between the players and their pasts, and their stories leading up to the game. There was so much wasted potential of interaction between the characters in-between the matches.

So essentially all we get are empty characters in this game that
    are only there to loose to the main character.
    Instead of spending 40 minutes showing how the 1 main character got to the game, riding in a car, sitting on a train etc. etc., how about have something like four 10 minute segments that give the OTHER people in the movie some character, so we actually CARE about who wins and who looses. Not just
    "so who is the main character gonna win against this round?"
    I love how the tag on the poster reads "13 Players. 1 Bullet each. Place your bets." Hmm I think
    I'll place my bet on the character you spent 40 minutes developing.

Also what happens after the game is over fades away as uneventfully as the characters in the game. "So, 13 people are suddenly missing, oh well good thing the authorities in this movie are completely clueless. The End!"

All in all, great premise but really poorly executed. Too much time spend on 1 character, zero time spend on others. Blatantly obvious outcome. I think this is another movie thats getting alot of positive attention because of its idea, it just wasnt executed well imo. I'd give it a 5.5 out of 10.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I posted on it on this very board, here.

No-one responded to that thread though, so I'll simply cut and paste my comments.

3. aoiookami

Maybe no one else has seen it yet, I dont think its been given a wide release yet. I wouldnt mind hearing your thoughts on the movie more in depth tho

4. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I just saw it and it left me speechless. I think it's one of the best new films out there. I really liked the pacing, the atmosphear, the character development and the political dimensions of the story. It's very fresh now Aoiookami but I will try to write something later this week.
    I give it a solid 8 out of 10. No wonder it won the Direction award in Venice.

5. aoiookami

cool, thanks
    I'm curious if anyone else aside from myself felt the other characters in the film were terribly neglected, and it could have been way stronger if we knew more than just the main character

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Did this film only just get released in other countries then? I found the DVD in the cheap racks in the UK months ago. My original post was back in May!