Ultra HD Blu-ray Announced: 4K, HFR and HDR

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, May 17, 2015.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I've read about it everywhere else but here, and considering how many VHS holdouts we still have ;) I guess I'm not too surprised there's not much fan fair for:
    From DigitalBits:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/051315_1300

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/U...-Finalized-Licensing-Begins-This-Summer.shtml

I've been holding off on upgrading even when my PS3 died last year. (I've been using my dinky region-free no-name.) But even still it's going to be awhile before things come down enough in price.

This would probably be the end of the road though, unless I win the lottery I'm not going 8k until my 4k dies and 8k (or better) is prevalent.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

As if blu-ray wasn't confusing enough to the average consumer. Having blu-ray in the title is going to confuse people even more. Nintendo is kicking themselves for the Wii U, which is actually a decent machine. Do 4k blu-ray's support DVD's? How about 3D? I'd love to see what studios are behind this. Paramount and Universal? Ha! They loathe the blu-ray format (especially catalog titles). This format needs a system seller like the original theatrical Star Wars trilogy. My next TV will be 4k and I'm not opposed to getting 4k titles for movies that I absolutely love. Considering the majority of the storage on current blu-rays are not being utilized, the extra room on these new discs doesn't impress me. With DVD's, you could find just about every film. With blu-ray's, I have to track them down internationally (such as Real Genius in Sweden this September). I'm not complaining, I just wish blu-ray was better utilized.

3. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Blu-ray is the end of the line for me. I'm not going through the heartache of "when will Title X make it to UHD" all over again. Hell, we can't get A-list stuff like The Abyss on fucking Blu-ray, what makes anyone think these studios give enough of a fuck about anything that's older than 3 years? They'll start with the latest junk and, well, pretty much stay there, lol. No thanks.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

There is little practical benefit to UHD unless you want a grotesquely large screen size. Standard blu ray is more than acceptable for me and my 42" TV.

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Fuck this!

6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I am out as well. I find that current Blu reveals a little too much in the case of older films as it is.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, you're going to need at least a 55" set to really see much benefit from UHD.

I'm stretching my available wall space now with a 50" HD set. There's just no way I'd currently have room for a 65" TV or a projector with a huge wall screen.

And the pickings are going to be slim with UHD discs for a long time...save recent blockbusters. Hell, Universal can barely even get up to acceptable HD resolution for many of their back catalog Blu-ray releases which still make use of dated transfers.

If my current TV craps out, sure I'd probably get a UHD 55" (max) replacement, but I have more things to worry about than thinking about that. And... Sharp are already releasing 8K TVs. :lol:

8. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

It'll be awhile for me, but my brother just got a 65 inch Sony 4K and it is impressive!

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

When DVD started taking off, most people still had fullscreen TVs. Blu-ray hit at a time when most people were finally upgrading to widescreen HD TVs and getting rid of those pesky black bars. That really helped it take off. Around that same time, our cable went digital, so if you wanted to have cable, you had to have an HD TV. I still have several fullscreen TVs upstairs that are pretty much useless unless you want to watch VHS or DVD on them.

I see this being a pretty niche format. There are people who are just now going hi-def / blu-ray. I've pretty much stopped buying newer movies anyway, most of my purchases go to the cult labels because that's the sort of stuff I tend to rewatch. I doubt many of those labels will be making the jump in format.

I think blu-ray debuted in 2006. I went blu in 2008, and by then players were a little bit cheaper and there were actually a fair number of titles available. If that's the case here, sure, I may bite. But this definitely won't be day one for me.

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

DVD still outsells Blu-rays average Joe and Jane don't care about picture quality. If Ultra Blu-Ray is treated like a gimmic with a bunch of DNR wtf is the point then? Some blu rays look pretty good already on the format no need for an upgrade. Unfortunately too many current Blu-rays are smothered in DNR once again why bother? If Ultra Blu-rays start shit staining their discs with DNR then no chance in hell I would upgrade. Another thing I think the only movies that would benefit from Ultra are shot on digital flicks. Wouldn't you also need an Ultra 4K TV to get the full effect?

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

LOL... just an utopian idea!
    When will Code Red announces their first Ultra HD Blu-ray?

12. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I have a 55" and I cant imagine enough improvement over the amazing image I get with blu ray already, maybe if I had an 80" screen

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

If it's affordable I'll probably bite on some titles. I plan to upgrade to 4k eventually. They should be setting the standard as high as they possibly can though because people are not going to want to keep upgrading constantly and I'm assuming this can only go so far before home video feels no different to cinima in terms of picture and sound.

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    With most of you. Blu-Ray is the end of the line for me.

15. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

Blu-ray is the end of the line for me too - although I felt the same when I had a lot of my films on DVD :lol:

Hate to think how much I've spent over the years but I ain't doing it again - happy with 99% of my Blus...

Imagine the conversations on caps-a-holic or Blu-ray.com mulling over every pixel from a 'good' Blu-ray/HD transfer vs. UHD.... :)

++ For every generation of video format/s the choice of films have declined - some titles on VHS never made it to Laserdisc then DVD and the same when Blu-ray came along... and UHD will probably cut that down even further depending on the popularity of the film or if it's possible to ascertain better PQ. It'd be interesting to see what the uptake on 4K/3D Blu-ray players/televisions have been like over the past couple of years.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I just got a new OLED TV that is "only" 1080p.
    I usually jump on board pretty early when it comes to new video formats.
    But since many of the 4K TV´s sold today, isn´t fully compatible with Ultra HD Blu-Ray, I just decided to get a new 1080p screen, and wait and see what happens with 4K down the line.

IF 4K blu-ray actually becomes big enough for small cult labels to release stuff like Suspiria in 4K, which I seriously doubt, then I might bite.
    But at the distance I sit from the screen, I will at least need a 70 inch screen to see the benefits with 4K. And since I´m not going back to LCD, an 4K OLED at that size is not going to be in my price range for until maybe 3-4 years from now. And by that time, we should know if 4K blu-ray have flopped big time or not.

8K is on the horizon as well, but I seriously doubt physical media is still around, when that becomes the norm.

Also, we have to remember that most movies shot on digital, the last 10 years, have been shot in 2K. It´s only now that they are finally shooting in 3.5K up to 5K. So many of the movies shot digitally in the last decade, will be upscales.

Actually, if the streaming have improved during the next 4-5 years, that it can deliver 4K with high bitrates and HD sound. Then I might go for streaming instead of 4K blu-ray.

And yes, these new formats and standards, are just going to confuse the hell out of people :D

17. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

So long as I can get the same freedoms with this format that I currently enjoy with BD and DVD thanks to AnyDVD HD, I will buy it. I'd like to have stuff in 4K quality but I'm pretty happy with BD and am not willing to jump through any additional, silly security hoops to play movies. Hopefully there will be no internet connectivity requirement as that will be a dealbreaker for me too...

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  18. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

At this rate we might be able to see what goes on in "Humongous" and "To All a Good Night".

19. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I'm not going to take a hard stance against technological advancements. Go for it: improve picture and sound quality! I'll no doubt upgrade according to the same methodology I've generally followed:

When the current gen dies in my household, I'll upgrade--or, as is the case with BD/PS3: when it comes packaged with something else I want, even better! This isn't a necessary upgrade for me, so I'll take my time.

20. NIN

NIN Member

Well, I will probably wait until the second generation players and I don't think I will rebuy any BD on UHD. But for new releases, if I can get a UHD I would rather do that. But I don't think many genre-movies will be released on UHD. Maybe Criterion will do it, and maaaaay be Synapse (I would love a UHD final release of Suspiria) but in most cases, probably not.