Ultra HD Blu-ray Announced: 4K, HFR and HDR

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, May 17, 2015.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Looking at these initial but still technically end products, I suspect this is being positioned as a Blu-ray replacement. Much like distributors are packing DVD/Blu-ray together, they may start packing HD/UHD together as the only way for Blu-ray.

I'm not sure UHD is within the same market space as LD once was. DVD alone is able to handle everything LD's offered save one thing, the best quality picture on the market. Distributors like Synapse, Shout and yes even Criterion are having a hard enough time dealing with the expense of 2k masters, none the less 4k masters. Especially when the optimal source materials would be 8k for true aficionados. Considering how tough of a time both Criterion and Synapse had in the early years, and how late in the game all three ventured in, I don't see UHD in the indie's near future.

No, UHD is purely in the domain of the largest corporations and the biggest productions. Who will be able to churn out 4K as a simple byproduct of their business processes. I expect catalog titles to be a slow trickle on UHD.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope Suspiria and NOTLD are out in time for Halloween in UHD. Hell I placed my investment in Atomic Brain purely on the 4k master.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Did the same thing with my DVD's. There were a few I eventually regretted selling, such as Society, but my patience paid off and Arrow released an amazing set. I don't see myself owning a 4K TV anytime soon or even a set large enough to benefit from the increase in resolution so I'll be passing on this format for the time being. That's not to say that I'm not excited about it, though, or hoping for its demise.

Angelman likes this.
  3. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm pretty sure that my HTPC can handle these and so long as AnyDVD HD can decrypt them I will be buying 4K BD for any titles I want that are released on the format. The way I figure it I can just play them on my current TV and they will look as good as BD and then whenever I get a 4K TV they should look even better. Looking forward to this despite the disappointing launch title lineup right now. Always assumed that all of these BDs with the silly “4K Mastered” marketing on them were just an attempt to recoup some of the mastering costs for 4K BDs and squeeze a few more bucks out of the same movies on the older format but apparently not. :/ One thing I don't plan to do with this format is upgrade lots of regular BDs.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

4K sets are coming down in both cost and size, and I expect that within a few years standard 1080p sets will be all but phased out of production. In a decade we will all have one of these sets in all likelihood. But to reiterate what I wrote earlier in this thread, unless you plan upon owning a grotesquely large screen above 65", you will never see a difference between 1080p and 4K. The pixels in anything smaller are so tiny that you basically have to have your nose resting on the screen to get the benefit. All you would be doing by upgrading your blu ray collection to 4K is throwing away your money for a placebo effect.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't there yet to be a standard regarding the UHD/4K TV's (such as the refresh rate, HDMI, etc)? Don't the manufacturers all currently have differences with their sets?

Product confusion (curved TV's???), costly upgrades (TV, UHDBD player and discs), UHD DVR and premium cable tier, lack of current content and an absolute certainty that most catalog titles will never see the light of day. Top Secret and Murder by Death aren't getting released on UHD Blu-ray... ever. It will be a miracle if they ever get a regular blu-ray release.

I went to Best Buy the other day because the website said that L.A. Confidential was in stock on blu for $5.99. I checked the bins and their very small movie section which has as many DVD's as blu-ray's. Needless to say they didn't have it. I did however get harassed by someone hocking solar panals. Really Best Buy?

The only thing that is going to make 4K a success imo is sports. The masses couldn't tell the difference between DVD, streaming or blu-ray. They're not going to care about 4K movies. My next TV will be 4K, but I am not replacing my BD's the way I did with VHS & DVD. 1080p is good enough for me.

Katatonia likes this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I might buy the 4K "Combo Packs" if they keep including standard Blu-rays in those, and don't cost much more than standard Blu-ray editions. That way it's a little future proofed. But I'm in no rush to buy a new 4K TV and player unless my current one goes out or something...and I still have around 4 years left on the extended warranty of the TV.

I'm sure I will eventually upgrade by necessity, but I'm pressing my space right now with a 50" 3D LED TV, and it's plenty good enough for me. I doubt I'd have room for a 65" or larger 4K set to truly benefit from the resolution.

7. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I hope this new format doesn't become some gimmic crap. You know some 80GB blu ray only utilizing like 40GB. :rolleyes:

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I can see myself upgrading some films if the prices aren't high and a BD is included. I've been wanting to upgrade to a big 4k panel for quite some time but my Panasonic plasma has been great to me and I don't quite see the need to just yet. I've had it for about 6 years now and it has started to do very light burning of images but they seem to disappear once it's running for a few minutes.
    TVs keep getting cheaper every year and I have my eyes set on the new 4k OLED displays which seems to offer a far nicer blacks and better movement in comparison to a lot of the LED's I see. Who knows what will be on the market when I finally take the plunge and upgrade though haha.

Steel76 likes this.
  9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got an OLED last spring, and the blacks and contrast blows anything else away.
    Watching Alien and Blade Runner, and playing dark horror games like Alien Isolation, on an OLED, is just jawdropping :)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

They look incredible. I can't wait to eventually get my hands on one :)

Steel76 likes this.
  11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Shout! Factory To Release First Wave Of 4K Ultra-HD Content In 2016!

But it's IMAX documentaries only (so-far). ;) Reminds me when Planet Earth was all the rage when HD-DVD and Blu-ray first hit and people were looking for "demo" material.

But it is interesting as it means Shout Factory will have the work flow and manufacturing in place to release more than just IMAX documentaries if they so desired. All they'd need is 4k content to release...

12. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I live in a small house, I will never have a tv over 39 inches, I see no point in getting a 4K tv, unless that is all they make when I need a new TV, then of course I will get one, but as far as running out and buying a new TV just to get 4K, I'm not doing it. I will of course buy 4K discs if that's all they make one day, but I'm happy with blu ray and DVD, my TV is 32:" 1080P 24hz and blu rays look great on it, I really don't need anything to look any better than it does now. In fact I would prefer if companies would sell a digital download of their movies as an option rather than discs. I don't mean a subscription streaming service, I'm not going to ever subscribe to streaming where I have a monthly bill and don't actually own a copy of the film, but my computer has a drive I can burn a copy of a digital download I buy and I don't need all the fancy packaging or stuff with the movie, all I care about is watching the movie, I don't need a booklet and all that stuff with the film, I could care less about commentaries and all that too.

13. Zombie Dude

I think the whole point of 4k is to get a great looking image on a large display. As others have mentioned you really don't get much benifit out of having 4k on smaller displays but TVs will likely all be 4k sooner or later. 4k is something I'm interested in because I'd like to go larger eventually and that's where you really benifit from it.