Umbrella Entertainment - Blu-ray Release Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by baggio, Oct 6, 2017.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Anybody else watched their Silver Bullet Blu yet? Am I the only one seeing white noise all over the place? It's really distracting. I tried changing the settings on my TV to minimize it, but it doesn't seem to work...

Some scenes look great. The scene with all the werewolves in the church looks beautiful, crystal clear. But the scene immediately before, in the fog, is almost impossible to watch. What the fuck is going on?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

That really sucks! I passed on the German release, but bought this one from Umbrella. Haven't received it yet in the mail. Was it that bad overall?

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

It seemed to come and go for the first 30 minutes or so, up until the scene in the fog that I mentioned, which was the worst. Then it seemed to go away. I didn't really notice it again for the rest of the film. I even skipped back to that scene to see if I was imagining it, and there it was. So I dunno what the deal is. I was able to enjoy the rest of it. But I'm curious to hear some other opinions.

8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Is it a encoding thing or film stock thing?

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I watched mine last night, but didn't really observe any issues like what you've described. I'm pretty sure Umbrella used the same StudioCanal master that Koch used for the German release.

Is this the scene in question?: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=10959&d2=10960&s1=107155&s2=107146&i=4&l=0

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the scene. I tried watching it on a different tv, and there was no problem. So I went back to the first tv and it was still there. But with some even more aggressive tinkering with the settings, I was able to make it go away. Mostly. Cranking down the contrast and sharpness helped a lot (although they weren't too high to begin with). If anyone is game, try boosting the contrast and sharpness during either the fog scene or the greenhouse scene. I'd be curious to know if you get the same effect. All I know is that these settings worked fine for every other title I've watched. So I still think there's something funky about the disc.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I contacted Umbrella on Facebook, and gave them all the details, including a picture I took of my tv during one of the scenes in the fog. They said they would pass it on to their production team.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I noticed something was off as soon as my copy started playing. The image looked like one of those low-quality VHF TV stations from back in the day. There's an Umbrella rep who posts regularly on Blu-ray.com - I commented on the PQ hoping he would respond but he didn't (he usually does), which means they're fully aware they were asleep at the wheel when they approved this transfer for their release. All this is is a case of a label not having access to good source materials and slumming it. Kind of tragic that the only worldwide HD release available for this film is a crap Blu-ray that looks like shit most of the time. Orca fares a bit better but that's not saying much.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It seems to be the only print available, as there is a German release that looks exactly the same:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=10959&d2=11351&c=4364

Disappointing to hear this, but I did not think it looked that great when comparing the screen shots, however if you do a comparison between the blu and the dvd............Well it's a revelation!

15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14665542&postcount=331

Hmmm... I'm not sure if that's what dave13 was observing or not. I didn't notice a the vertical lines when I watched my copy, but yeah, it's there. It's pretty apparent that Umbrella used the same StudioCanal HD master that Koch Media used in Germany, so I doubt there's anything Umbrella do to address this issue. It looks like they tried to dial it back a bit, though, because the issue actually seems a bit more pronounced on the German release.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

What I saw was very heavy horizontal streaks of static-y white noise. I was ultimately able to almost entirely get rid of it by adjusting my settings.

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that DVDBeaver didn't mention any of these problems. Not saying they are not there(I don't own the Blu ... yet) Just thought it would come up in reviews.

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Looks to me like Silver Bullet PQ issue is actually scanner noise, so that wouldn't have been from authoring but from the actual HD scan of the film elements so whomever did the transfer used inferior equipment/settings. It's the same issue that plagues a lot of the Italian transfers.

zbinks likes this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost