Unhinged (1982) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by snowbeast323, Jan 22, 2009.

1. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

First of all I just need to say before I begin to comment on the film that it is definitely one of ny favourite films from this period.....

From what I've been able to learn this film was made in Portland Oregon in 1982 for little more than $25,000, using only local actors and the historically reserved Pitcock Mansion as its main setting.

The film tells the story of three young girls Terry, Nancy and Gloria on their way to a concert who get lost in a storm and crash their car. Waking up in an old mansion inhabited by Marion Penrose and Her mother the girls immediately sense something isn't right. Fro here unfolds a tale of murder, violence and repressed sexuality

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The film itself isn't the best of films....I'll admit that.
    Looking at the film, even the remastered DVD, it clear that the budget on which the film was made is fairly miniscule, as the DVD still bears some blemishes and the photography has not been inhanced to the point of perfection so the film is a little dark in places.

But as a horror film on the whole I would say that the movie is pretty effective.

Something out of the ordinary that this film possesses is that it takes its time with the first gory moment happening well over 20 mins into the film. This has been seen as a point of negativity for many people, but for me it is something that makes the film all the better, as this gives it time to try and create an atmosphere and a (slight) air of suspense.

The performances in this film are fairly solid....there is the sslight wooden moment every no and then from our teenage leads or the slight over the top moment from the mother character but all in all I think that the performances are pretty good. I think Janet Penner's portrayal of Marion Penrose is one of the best in the film, I believe her to be solid and beileveable

The music is a heavy synthsiser score that is a little over the top at times but is a testament to 1980's horror cinema.

I honestly think that this deserves more credit than it actually got back in 1982.

What I'm saying is that all the ingredients for a good horror film are there:
    *Reasonable acting
    *An Isolated location
    *Teens in danger
    *A Killer on the loose
    *A great twist in the ending

I just really hope that more people see the film in a better light....give it a try...it really ain't that bad

2. gore

gore Guest

I agree its not as bad most say it is. I passed this up at best buy so many times because of that, with a $6 price tag no less! Finally bought it and dont regret it at all.

3. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

I bought this when the DVD first came out and remember it didn't do much for me.I may have to give it another go round.I do remember thinking wow this was a video nasty and it was uncut, the gore didn't shock me.

sean

4. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

This is one of those "video nasties" that got its title strictly based on the lurid cover art. Once a few films were prosecuted (and actually VIEWED by its prosecutors), the BBFC just went on a rampage and started banning films based on their cover art. They didn't even take the time to watch the film itself.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I certainly wouldn't consider it a "good" movie, but it's certainly enjoyable trash.

I purchased the IndieDVD when it was released. I think the later BCI DVD editions lack the stills gallery?