Universal and Hammer horror which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Ok guys it is time for the ultimate Horror fan question. Which studio do you prefer. The one that gave birth to the classic Universal Monsters or the House that dripped blood?

My answer will be quite simple. I personally grew up on Lugosi and the gang at the tender age of three.The cobwebs and darkness of the Universal classics run through my blood.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Wow, I don't know man. Kind of a random choice in many ways.

Still, if one had to go........ Hammer wins. Universal are good, but I like the ambiance of the great Hammer films just a litle bit more.

Until the next time I change my mind.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I prefer Hammer, because I feel that after the first few entries in a series, the Universal films would become cheesy, but Hammer managed to have the later films in their series keep up the quality. With a few exceptions of course.

Additionally, Hammer evolved their series over time. Look at the Frankenstein series...with Universal, it was "let's reanimate the monster AGAIN, and have him create havoc. With Hammer, Frankenstein's experiments developed and improved, and were more than just a "monster show"

Finally, I think Hammer adapted to changing times a little better (although obviously not well enough). Some of their 70s stuff (particularly Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter) were real imaginative. I wonder what they would have made had they still been around in the late 70's early 80s slasher craze.

4. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Tough one. But I'd have to go with Hammer, as their Frankenstein series is much "smarter", with the help of Cushing of course. No to say I despise Universal, I like both really. I'm a sucker for the Creature series, one of my fav's.

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I would say Universal just because they were to influential to the hammer films.

6. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Wow I am really suprised this post didn't get more responses than it has. I guess there aren't many classic horror films out there. :( :( :( :( :(

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Universal, just because they are more fun. When it comes to monster movies, I am simple like that. I am all about the fun. Also, I have inordinate love for the Creature of the Black Lagoon movies as well as all things Lugosi, Karloff, and Chaney Jr. As far as actors go, I think Universal has Hammer beat.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2005
  8. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Hammer. While i enjoy the Universal films, most of them can't compare to the excellent Hammer versions. As much as i love Karloff and Lugosi, no one beats Cushing and Lee.

9. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

As much as I understand the debt horror cinema owes to Universal...I gotta go with Hammer. I love the Universal Frankenstein movies...but Hammer wins for the Dracula and other vampire films.

10. I would have to go with Hammer. With Universal, usually the first film in a series is fantastic, only to have the sequels disappoint. Also, a lot of the Universal films were formulaic. While this can be said for some of the later Hammer films, it was a lot less prevalent.

11. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Universal.

Universal was much more influencial and like Romero, wrote the rules.

Hammers' looked lush but often were too indoors orientated whilst Universal had GREAT swamps and woods.

Both however suffered from later entries getting very silly.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It's kind of like being forced to choose your favorite child,I love 'em both.You cannot overstate the importance of Universal's golden period to the genre.Still,if I look deep inside,I have to go with Hammer.They revitalized a genre in decline and were more daring when it came to experimenting when the times passed.Late Hammer's like CAPTAIN KRONOS and HANDS OF THE RIPPER were looking to some interresting avenues to keep the gothic cycle alive,moreso,in my opinion that the later Universal monster rallies(fun as they are).I'm also a sucker for Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee !

13. Severn

Severn Member

I love them both and damn it's very hard to choose. I'm very proud to say I have both types of classic horror in my DVD collection. Still maybe my answer could change tomorrow but I love Hammer. The Hammer Glamour era was just fun to watch. Great actors and actresses were involed... it's just so much I love about both of Studios (oh and I never cared for Lugosi as Dracula but the man SHINED as Igor in the Frankenstein series).

14. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

That is a tough one. The Universals are original and classics and as posted by Criswell, the Unis had great atmospheric sets. The Hammers seemed like rips of the originals to me when I watched them as a kid, but in later years I really grew to like them, I remain neutral, but I must add that Hammer does have two things over Universal.

Ingrid Pitt!

15. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I agree with Hammer having better vampire films, but as for the rest I prefer Universal.

16. I love both and cannot choose.

17. geekcccp

geekcccp Guest

I would have to go wiht Universal simply because they were the originals. Certain titles. like Frankenstein and Mummy, were done much better by Hammer but there is much to be saud about doing it first. The other reason I love Universal is because growing up, at least in my area, the Universal films were so much easier to find than Hammer's, which I didnt begin watching until college. Had my local video store carried an abundance of Hammer films and less Universal my answer would probably be different.

18. Luna

Luna Guest

Y'know, I never really got into the Universals for the most part, though I'm sure I'd like them. It's just that I never really saw them, growing up, is all. For me, the choice was easy...

Hammer!

19. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

:lol:

Though I love the old Universal monster movies, Hammer gets my vote. Cushing. Lee. Frankenstein. Dracula. `Nuff said.

20. Roo

Roo Member

I love those Hammer babes............movies. ;)