Universal Classic Monsters... going on moratorium?? Can we get a confirm Dave?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by mutleyhyde, Mar 13, 2002.

1. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Some of the complaints i heard were about the audio on Frankenstein. I don't find it to be bad. Considering how old the movie is and what they had to use to record. I really don't think they can improve much more. It does get 'hot' at a few times. But I keep thinkin' about age of this film.

And the dracula dvd. C'mon!!! It has the COMPLETE Spanish version with the disc. The one shot when the 'real' cast went to bed and left the set.

Like I said, I just don't see me waiting x-amount of years to get a slightly better picture (if possible, which i doubt) or better sound when these DVDs are beyond good and available NOW. I'm in this for the horror aspect of it, not 'dvd collecting'. :rolleyes:

Randy M:
    I also wish they would have done a 3D version of Creature From the Black lagoon. But I once posted this on my other message board and someone explained how the originals were done and how it probably would not ork very well on TV.

That may be true, but I think it can be done. If they can put a man on the moon they can have a GOOD 3-D Creature From the black Lagoon. (LOL!!! Always wanted to use that "Man on the moon line" LOL!! :D ;) )

2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Ok, but what more could they do with Dracula? That DVD has everything any fan could ever want.

3. Meanie

Meanie Guest

If Universal were going the release New editions of the films, the only one I would buy would be Dracula.

I WANT a better transfer on Dracula.
    I know the movies are like 60 years old and they are not going to look like brand new movies, but still I think there is major room for improvement in the Dracula Video department.
    I am fairly happy with all the other trasfers though, given their age.

I thought that the Dracula disc had the worst transfer from the Classic Monsters boxset. I am talking about the English version, and not the Spanish version. The Spanish version looks WAY better than the English version and they were shot the same time.

I guess the first reel was in real bad shape because the first 15 minutes the image quality is the worst. It really makes me cringe when I see the poor image quality of the carriage pull up to Dracula's castle.

4. Meanie

Meanie Guest

I just ordered some of the double feature DVDs

I just ordered the following:
    * Dracula's Daughter/Son of Dracula
    * The Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein
    * Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman/House of Frankenstein

Well that is all I can afford for now and these were the ones I wanted the most of the Double Features.

I heard She Wolf of London sucks badly and that the Mummy sequals were kind of cookie cutter sequals.
    I still might get them if I can find them when I can free up some more money.

5. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I still need to buy all the Mummy sequels, "Creature.." and "Phantom..", but with so much other good stuff around at the moment I really wonder when I'll be getting those. I'm kinda contemplating waiting for a possible re-release. By the way, "Werewolf..." and "...Daughter" are both excellent movies, highly recommended.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Hey, I just got my Dracula DVD in the mail today, hurray :D, I will look out for what you said.

7. RandyM

RandyM Guest

[4-year-old voice]But..but... but... I WANT IT IN 3D!!![/4-year-old voice]

8. gusse

gusse New Member

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Hyde - Any news from the HTF wife?? :D

10. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Aright, guess that's okay.

But here's my theory. If they weren't gonna be released, why would Universal keep quiet? They'd want people to buy them all as fast as possible so they get the money quicker. If they are coming back, they'll keep quiet to hope that people buy them now for the more expensive price, and possibly get them later too if there's any difference in the disc.

It makes sense, atleast I think :rolleyes:.

12. gusse

gusse New Member

I'm with AndrewBBD on this one. I have a feeling these titles will be released again in the future, probably at a lower retail price or something. BUT since I'm not 100% sure I just baught the Classical Monsters Box from DV-Depot. Just to play it safe ;)

13. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I procrastinated too long and now have missed out on The Ghost Of Frankenstein / Son Of Frankenstein and Werewolf Of London / She-Wolf Of London, so I guess I am waiting for the hopeful rereleases... sigh. I did manage to pick up the two Mummy doubles though. I haven't actually picked up Dracula's Daughter / Son Of Dracula and Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man/ House Of Frankenstein yet, but they're still listed as available at a few sites. I think at this point I'll just wait and see. But then again... ARGH! I hate this. :(

Moving to Classics, btw. :)

14. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

two-color 3D as used on Creature works fine on TV. Only the polarized type doesn't work.

Maybe when Universal re-release GHOST/SON of FRANKENSTEIN, they can get the films in the right order on the packaging.

15. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

What's up with Universal these days anyway ?. They're the slowest of all the major studios when it comes to releasing good stuff. They haven't released anything interesting since this last batch of Monster Classics. They do have Special Editions of "Duel", "Silent Running" and "Legend" lined up next, but I don't see much else decent coming.

16. mgfred

mgfred Guest

posted by Mutley Hyde
    "I procrastinated too long and now have missed out on The Ghost Of Frankenstein / Son Of Frankenstein and Werewolf Of London / She-Wolf Of London, so I guess I am waiting for the hopeful rereleases"

I got Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein at Samgoody.com, I got Werewolf Of London / She-Wolf Of London at towerecords.com.

Thanks guys, I have them all now and I'm about $250.00 poorer!

17. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

Yeah, but you're richer in the sense of adding these great movies! I was lucky enough to pick up SON/GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA'S DAUGHTER/SON, WOLF MAN and INVISIBLE MAN recently. Already got DRACULA and MUMMY. I held off from CREATURE in the hope of a 3-D version being re-issued.

Still, as a company built on horror, I wish they'd pay more respect to their more modern releases. PHANTASM's piss me off the most, having 1 & 4 as I do already. A watchable GHOST STORY to replace Image's abomination would be very nice too.

18. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Thanks Fred, I did end up getting all I needed from SamGoody and DVDPlanet. Well, the Goody ones have shipped, but I'm still waiting on a confirm from the Planet. :( Keepin' my fingers crossed.

19. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Well, this past weekend the Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man/House Of Frankenstein and Dracula's Daughter/Son of Dracula dvds came from DVDPlanet, and just today the Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstien and the Werewolf of London/She-Wolf dvds made it from Sam Goody.

Now I have every one of these bad boys, so it goes without saying that we can expect a re-release announcement very shortly. :rolleyes:

20. mgfred

mgfred Guest

I should have mine today so definately the jinx will be on