Universal Halloween '09 Boxset / Island of Lost Souls tidbit too

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Sep 2, 2009.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There's been semi-confirmation about a new classic horror boxset from Universal for this Halloween, containing movies unreleased on DVD and a few not even released on VHS.

From Jim Clatterbaugh Monsters From the Vault editor, when asked for more details on Universal's next horror boxset:
    http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum...-39-s-to-be-released-on-DVD.html#reply-464478

Five movie boxset and IoLS? Am I dreaming?

2. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Hopefully we'll finally see The Mad Ghoul, etc. on dvd!!

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=D05043

A bit steep, considering Universal's recent release The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection has twice the movies from the same MSRP.

4. TheCoroner

TheCoroner New Member

Now that would be cool :cool:

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Official Press Release:
    Looks to be DVD-R's, which is a disappointment.

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Maybe DVD-R, but don't judge a book by it's cover.

7. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

I have bought this set - it was rather expensive, but there will be no other way to view these films for a long time to come, if ever. There still seems to be some debate as to whether the discs are genuine DVDs but I don't really understand that. They look and feel like every other disc in my 1,300 strong collection, and reputable software has confirmed after analysis that they are not DVD-Rs so what the hell! Should you be a fan of vintage horror, particularly here in the UK where TV stations largely screen rubbish from other genres most of the time, just bite the bullet and come up with the cash. It was a real delight when The Mad Doctor of Market Street appeared on my TV screen for the first time in 30 years, and the PQ is great too.

Now, when is someone in the film industry with two brain cells or more going to decide that The Uninvited (1944), Island of Lost Souls (1932), Dante's Inferno (1935), or numerous others are worthy of a DVD release?

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

9. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

Of course rxfiend, and the discs all appear to be "normal" dvds, but some people on the monsterkid.com forums (whose opinions I value a lot) believe there are DVD-R's which are almost indistinguishable from regular products.

All I can say is, you couldn't wish for better picture and sound quality from the films, and the packaging is attractive as well. Only reservation I have is about the central spindle holding three discs, but provided you take care the set should provide good entertainment for a long, long time.

Just watched The Mad Ghoul, and how better to spend 66 minutes of a weekend?! Great stuff.

10. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I have this set and the discs are absolutely not dvd-rs. I may also add that theyare packaged in a pretty neat tray system. There is one film per disc and while trailers are not included, lobby card galleries are present, as well as having each film given a trivia list and legnthy TCM essays. Really amazing stuff, but since it comes from the Vault Collection I am going to have to assume these are very limited pressings given only to Movies Unlimited and since they are not DVD-r (press on demand) that once they run out they've run out, so act quickly.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well the interesting thing is that they also can't be confirmed to be truly pressed DVDs. All verification software comes back as an "unknown format". It's possible that since DVD-Rs are a dye format, you can just change the color not the function. These may be specially manufactured.

I will be buying this regardless, hell I've bought other outright Warner Archive DVD-Rs. But unfortunately I need to be collecting a paycheck first!

12. fdsfio

fdsfio Guest

hell I've bought other outright Warner Archive DVD-Rs. But unfortunately I need to be collecting a paycheck first!

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Movies Unlimited had a free shipping sale after Christmas so I figured now or never. Just finished watching them last night. Although the extras only amount to text and a handful of photographs, they're a nice treat to a set by all rights could of been bare bones.

Transfers were very good all across the board. Nothing earth shattering mind you, but that goes both ways. These don't look like typical beta master to my eyes. Contrast and detail remained steady throughout with very little print damage.

I've done some mini-reviews of the films so I'll include those here:

Murders in the Zoo (1933)
    Lionel, Tigers and Bears, oh my! Features sex, sadism, real animal attacks and murders. Kathleen Burke also brings a certain intensity to her role as well. A concise plot with a cold blooded execution. Recommend.

Mad Doctor of Market Street, The (1942)
    Solid Universal effort with Lionel Atwill holding the show together with a little help from ditzy dame Una Merkel as comedy relief.

Strange Case of Doctor Rx, The (1942)
    An intriguing plot which does manage to keep you guessing with all its red herrings. The lead couple play off each other well enough but Shemp and Mooreland seem to be reaching a bit too much for a gag.

Mad Ghoul, The (1943)
    One of the more interesting premises, but a lackluster effort all around. A by the numbers outing from Universal.

House of Horrors (1946)
    Little to recommend with this bare bones cheapie. Kosleck has some great moments, but the rest of the cast is hardly at their best with little to work with. Joan Shawlee's cheesecake modeling was the only thing keeping me going.

Ten bucks a pop isn't unreasonable for these in the boxset. I'd gladly watch all the Lionel entries again, and again, and again so I'm very happy with my purchase.

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

All that depravity for a 1933 shocker? That's some pretty perverse pedigree there. I must check it out. Thanks for the reviews, man.