Universal Monster Legacy collections

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Deus Ex Machina, Aug 23, 2005.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Is that from The Mummy's Curse? Haven't watched it in a while, but really an impressive visual.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Taken individually the sequels are dumb, but taken as a whole they're even dumber! Every movie takes place roughly 30 years after the previous entry. By the time you get to the fifth and final entry 120 years have past since the original film and yet people STILL dress like it's the 30s/40s. It's hysterical!

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Indeed - and the entire sequence of her rising, and then stumbling through the swamp - is stunning. I'd even go as far as to say it's not really "universalesque", if you know what I mean - like it was spliced in from another film. It hints at what the universal films could have become - trumping the more disturbing types of things we saw in the 70's by 3 decades.

This is also a powerful image - this time from The Mummy's Hand. This was the second film, and it includes an awkward mix of horror and comedy. However, the attack sequences, once again - hint at the true horrors Universal could put upon us.

[​IMG]

Those darkened eyes are incredible.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

The Mummy's Hand was a mixed bag for me with too much emphasis on comedy, namely Wallace Ford and Dick Foran. What I can appreciate though is the production design of the tombs, the mummy makeup f/x of Jack Pierce, the tanna leaf warnings, and the tireless villainy of George Zucco.

I highly agree, the mummy attacks and especially those blackened eyes on Tom Tyler are still menacing. A subtle touch that works wonders!

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I've seen all of the Universal Monster Legacy Series and The Mummy series is my least favorite. Every sequel is the exact same movie.