Universal to Hammer out classics

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I think that THE GORGON was once owned by Columbia,though I thought I once saw a cheapy vhs of it by some minor label too.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The old Kiss of the Vampire disc looks pretty good, I don't expect, for a budget set like this, that any of the films are going to get the special treatment.

3. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Yeah I used to have that...back in the late 80s columbia licensed out a bunch of their titles to Goodtimes for cheap VHS releases, with really bad cover art...it included The Gorgon, Curse of the Demon, 13 Ghosts, and several others.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

According to HOUSE OF HORROR by Jack Hunter, NIGHT CREATURES (aka. Captain Clegg) has a run time of 82 min.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Box art was just posted at dvdanswers.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Thanks for finding that Maybrick. :cool:

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Not a problem. I just happened to have that book right next to me when I read your post. ;)

8. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

That looks pretty cool. I wonder if they'll continue with the slipcover/book design of the Universal Monsters series as well.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Not bad, could have been worse. We're still jipped on decent theatrical art for each film though. :(

10. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Wah, wah, wah. :cry: Oh sorry dwatts! I know how much you hate babies.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

What a lovely intelligent remark :rolleyes:. I have an opinion, and I'm giving it. Feel free to ignore it. Or act like a child, whatever floats your boat ;)

I wanted these films to be shown some respect is all, I don't know why that's too much to ask. Eight films thrown onto two double-sided discs with montage artwork isn't what I had in mind.

12. Luna

Luna Guest

Hey now! I'm the resident babyhater here! :mad:

By the way, I tend to agree with the previous idea of having them all on separate discs so I can arrange them by series, in order. :D

13. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

In my ultimate anality, I absolutely hate it when I can't organize my collection in order, movie by movie. I do love the bargain of box sets, but I always cringe just a little whenever I look at them, knowing that, as an example, John Waters' Polyester either has to be filed under "F" for Female Trouble, or vice versa, Female Trouble goes under P...(I solved that by filing it under "J" for "John Waters Collection"..) but beyond that, I had always looked forward to the day when several of these Hammer films would be released, anticipating full color, lush covers, etc....But, whatever...At least they're coming out....I guess....sigh.

Oh, and I too hate babies. :)

14. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I think Universal is doing the right thing here due to monetary reasons, It would cost both them and us more money to do what you guys would all like them to do and I have the feeling that having multiple seperate releases would only cause people to skim over most of these titles not realizing exactly what they are. I suppose they could release them all in their own cases within the box set, but that would still cost everybody more money. Sometimes you just gotta drink from the river if it's the only water source, you can't take your dirty urine sample and make spring water!

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- you can't take your dirty urine sample and make spring water--

Actually, you can :)

However, I'd have gladly played three times the asking price here for decent versions of these films. Nice packaging, nice extras. I am a fan of Hammer. This set will allow me to own and watch them, but it doesn't pay the film the respect they're due.

AB put out all their Hammers on single releases and did quite nicely apparently. Universal can't?