Universal's Second Wave Horror / Sci-Fi Collections

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Jul 6, 2007.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

From the Classic Horror Film Boards, they were able to contact some pretty high up people at Universal directly asking about all of their titles by name:
    http://p075.ezboard.com/New-Univers...rrorforumfrm38.showMessage?topicID=1072.topic

This Halloween season is just too much. I'm going to break the bank with all these releases from Warner, Fox, MGM and hell I forget who else there's so many companies releasing such goodies.

2. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

You know it. There will be plenty of cool stuff to hibernate with this winter.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Anyone pick the Sci-fi set up? I slept in before work so I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

The inventory number at Best Buy for the Ultimate Sci-Fi Collection Vol. 2 is 8402622.

Apparently there's also a number on the sticker: 1021936.

Don't know which one's more useful so perhaps arm yourself with both when going to Best Buy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I had to go to every last Best Buy in town and then one more to find a store that actually had The Classic Sci-Fi Vol. 2 set today. I wish I had those numbers earlier, because most of the stores not only didn't know what I was on about but couldn't find it anywhere in their system.

Oh well. I am glad to have it now.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Best Buy here had nothing. Ironicly I was looking to see if they had a V1 leftover as their dvd aisles have tumbleweeds blowing through them, and didn't realized these were coming out today.
    BB here just sucks (I can't think of an anaolgy to do it justice, it's beyond horrid). To not even have your own fucking exclusives is unexcusable!:fuck:

6. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Are these only in the stores? I don't see it listed online.

7. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Fuck them indeed.

After my initial total falling out with my local Best Buy (Eugene fucking Oregon which is a shit hole in and of itself) over Beyond the POseidon Adventure, I had not set one foot in their doors, nor ordered online from them for months...I had decided to give them my money again because someone in their corporate office extended a surprising effort to help me out in obtaining a little Wendy figurine from Disney's Peter Pan...

Today, I go in to pick up some of the Midnite Movies I failed to pre-order, and they had none of them on their shelves...They had the Sci-Fi film collection though, but nothing else...Not a one. I got the same "we have no control over what we get" speech, which is no excuse...

SOMEONE in Best Buy makes those decisions...SOMEONE programs their computer...Unless Hal from 2001 is still "living" and is now working at Best Buy, there is a human somewhere making these lousy decisions to devoid certain stores of not even one copy of stuff...

What is definitely true is that they take careful measures to make sure you have absolutely no way to contact them or even express your opinions. with the exception of their stupid 800 # that gets you a recorded menu...

I'm done with them for good. Unless they were to release some Double Doody Exclusive Walt Disney Alice in Wonderland DVD that came with every fucking piece of Disney Alice memorabilia ever made as a special feature, and came with a ticket to have dinner with Kathryn Beaumont on top of it all, I will never buy anything from them again...

\

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The horror one is not coming out until October 2nd I think, but yeah they never got the Sci-Fi one up on their website, causing me to drive around town trying to hunt it down.

This is why I hate when Best Buy gets exclusives. The store sucks.

9. bigdaddyhorse

The first sfi-fi set was easily had here, but I can't believe this store has sunk so low as to not get this one. The next closest store is 20 minutes or so, 2 towns over. I don't even know if that one is good, the one I know is good is over an hour away.
    If anyone can grab me one I'd be your friend for life. I have some stuff to trade or can just pay for it, shipping and a couple bucks for time.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

What are these retailing for?

11. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

When I was in Best Buy on Tuesday, they had a whole bunch of these in the New Releases section.

12. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    What was the HORROR Vol. 1? I think I missed that.

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

In the store, they are just 19.99. Of course, the price of mine was a bit more inflated with all the gas I spent driving around trying to find the damn thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Thanks, 1X1. Wow, the price of these has really gone up then. At $20 they're a steal!

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The one coming out October 2nd is Volume 1. There's no Volume 2... Yet.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Is the Ultimate Sci-Fi Collection Vol. 1 still available?

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Unless you are just REALLY lucky and find one, it is only available at high, you missed the boat secondary market prices.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Now that's an insane markup from the original retail! :eek1: Damn, I hate Best Buy and their exclusives! Guess I will be stopping in for Volume 2. Really regret not getting the first volume since it has Tarantula.

19. bigdaddyhorse

Just took the long drive to the real BB and thankfully they had a few of these left (v2 of course, 1 is long gone), so I scooped up 3 of the 7 remaining.
    If anyone is having trouble finding it PM me. I got the others for trade or re-sale on ebay when they all disappear, but will let them go to quick-acting board members for a slight mark-up (just a small percentage of the $7-8 in gas I spent) or trade if you have something I want.

Also grabbed Godilla Raids Again, Mothra Vs Godzilla, and Ghidorah Toho Master Collections since I haven't seen them anywhere else.
    Still couldn't find The Burning, Scarecrows or Tales from the Crypt/Vault anywhere. They did have From Beyond, but I already ordered that from DDD.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Best Buy has FINALLY added the item to their website:
    Classic Sci Fi V2 CL Bx

While they were at it they also listed the horror set coming up soon:
    Univ Horror Classic Movie Arch B

I picked mine up today, they had eight other copies as well. Why our store decided to go overkill on the Sci-Fi set but not carry any of the Deimos exclusive packs is a mystery that perhaps will never be solved.