Universal's The Mummy vs. Hammer's The Mummy

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Anthropophagus, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Just re-watched the Hammer version last night, what a creepy and atmospheric film, probably my favorite mummy film. I prefer the Hammer version over Universal's by far, the latter just seems to shamble along at a snails pace.
    Christopher Lee made an imposing mummy, and Cushing was excellent as usual too.
    Everyone's thoughts?

2. Christ75

Christ75 New Member

I agree.

Like Dracula, I prefer the Hammer version of The Mummy. I like the atmosphere, the gothic desing, the story, the actors ...

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

They are apples to oranges to me,the Universal film is more of a mood piece,the Hammer is more visceral.I enjoy both though I personally like the Hammer one more.

4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

The Hammer one, by far. Not only did it actually have a mummy for more than two minutes, but what he did was (like you said) incredibly creepy.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Nah, I like Universal's better. Karloff is able to conjure up a very different sort of presence compared to Bela Lugosi in Dracula with essentially the same plot. Zita Johann is memorizing. Edward Van Sloan is often overlooked but he is essential to this picture. Karl Freund was a master and made an especially great opening.

Although I think Peter Cushing was good (as always) in Hammer's Mummy the rest of it is too much like the Universal Mummy sequels; only in color. Just a lot more of the same in my eyes. The original Mummy is a very different beast from the rest of the franchise and much more horror oriented than simply violent action.

6. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

As much as I love Karloff and generally prefer watching him over watching Lee, this is the one Hammer film I prefer to the Universal original. Love the score too.

7. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The Mummy is the one instance where I'd give Hammer a clear advantage over Universal. I admire Universal's The Mummy. But I don't really enjoy it aside from the nifty resurrection scene. Karloff is great as always. But there's something stodgy and dull about the film. I certainly appreciate the artistry involved. But I find almost all of Universal's other films more involving.

Hammer's version definitely aims lower. But it succeeds as entertainment. The pace is snappy. Lee makes an imposing mummy. And Cushing a compelling hero--as always. It probably helps that it meets the expectations of a typical mummy film a lot better than Universal's version too.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I dislike the Universal Mummy. Boring film. I've never seen the Hammer version, but it is actually on my DVR, since I had a ton of stations for a while, do to a Comcast error and recorded a ton of stuff including that one!

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I actually like all of Hammer's versions better with the one exception being the Wolf Man. How come Hammer never did a Creature from the Black Lagoon?

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'd assume it has to do with copyright laws and the fact that the Creature himself was Universal's invention. Creature wasn't released until 1954--not long before the Hammer cycle. And he wasn't inspired by mythology or literature (like Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy). So there was no source material independent of the film itself.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

its been a few years since i watched the universal mummy, but i watched the hammer one this evening, and it's true that it's a really great film. the opening egypt scene, the extended flashback, and the fights between cushing and lee are all great. in particular i enjoyed cushing in it. his character has more depth than the sociopathic baron frankenstein or the crusading van helsing. in this he's the central character, not the villain or the wise sage, and he really draws a lot of our sympathy. lee too, is great, although with less to do. he certainly shines in his scenes in the flashback, and he adds a lot of personality (as much as one can) through the makeup as kharis. i dunno if i could ever bring myself to say i like it more than the universal, but i'd say of the three remakes that star cushing and lee, this one probably comes closest to topping the original.

12. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I definitely prefer the Hammer one, but I haven't seen the Universal original since I was a kid. Perhaps it's time to revisit.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

I'm not so sure that copyright itself was the obstacle, as Hammer did enter into a deal with Universal Studios for the use of some of their intellectual property, hence the Frankenstein monster in EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN bearing a striking resemblance to the Universal monster (as opposed to the Christopher Lee monster) and the mixing and matching of elements from the Universal MUMMY films into the '59 remake. But as you say, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON came out just a few years before the start of the Hammer cycle, and by the time that a remake started to feel warranted (which turned out to be the early 80's when they first started talking about it) Hammer had ceased operations. Interestingly, Nigel Kneale, the creator of QUATERMASS and a periodic Hammer collaborator, did do a script for a remake if I recall.

14. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

I respect the 1932 MUMMY, and Hammer's MUMMY is one of the few early Hammers that do anything for me, but for me it is truly all about Kharis, particularly the incarnation chubbily portrayed by Lon Chaney, Jr.