Universal's Vault Series (MOD Program)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Shawn Francis, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Sometimes you can find these at records stores. They are very few and far inbetween around here in my area. Usually they are used and way overpriced. I never have any luck finding good deals at brick stores no more. Everything is priced within an inch of it's life. However yeah you can find them at some shops. I just don't bother with them no more.

2. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

The only thing that caught my eye was the island other than that I didn't see anything worth my time.

3. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah that movie is a must own for sure. ;)

4. Stige

Stige Active Member

Is there any special reason why these are mostly more expensive then regular dvd's often chock full of special features? This includes Warner and so on...

If anyone knows

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

With MODs, it wouldn't surprise me if the per-unit cost was actually higher than the per-unit cost of a pressed release. DVDs have gotten fairly inexpensive to manufacture on a per-unit basis, but pressing facilities have a minimum number of units that they make you buy (usually a thousand, but apparently some will let you go as low as five hundred). Plus you have to deal with the warehousing costs, etc. When you're making discs on demand the total capital expenditure to get the disc on the market is surely lower since you are not paying for a mass pressing or warehousing, but it's conceivable that the per-unit cost per disc is actually higher. For instance, the Warner Archive, which is the only MOD program I have bought from so far, has color discs with movie-specific designs and semi-professional color covers that look like they were printed in an office on a really high-end printer. Getting DVD-Rs made with specific color designs on them is less cost-effective than having a disc pressed, and toner is so expensive that printing covers off on a printer one by one is less cost effective than having five hundred or a thousand printed professionally. It only starts to make sense if you have reason to believe that you're going to sell far fewer copies of a given movie than the minimum number of units you're allowed to press.

6. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

The thing is if they had picked titles that people have been looking for instead of rehashing stuff they've already put out then they would be able to sell 500 units.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't think Warner actually manufactures all of the MOD DVD-R's they sell though. They license these out to companies like Amazon and Deep Discount, which sometimes have their own unique UPC numbers. And usually those will often have something like "Manufactured by Amazon.com" printed right above the barcode. MGM/FOX does this also.

8. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Call me out fashioned but I liked the days when you could get these classic in like a midnight movies kinda of thing or some other collection & then atleast you could get a like a trailer or if you were lucky a commentary. I would have loved a Larry Cohn commentary for Return to Salem's Lot.

Erick H. likes this.
  9. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

That is true, but I'm not sure if it's completely relevant. Selling through Amazon and Deep Discount allows the Warner Archive to reach more customers, and letting them manufacture their own makes the logistics easier, but does decentralizing the production make it cheaper to manufacture them? Whether it's done by Warner or by Amazon, someone still has to incur the cost of printing those covers and making DVD-Rs with specialized labeling, and it's still likely to be more expensive per disc than a mass pressing/printing.

10. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

But what I don't understand is that makes it more expensive. Cause you're paying 20 bucks for a disc that usully would sell for like 12 - 15 in store, so where is the incentive to purchase it from these companies?

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

For a lot of people there isn't much incentive. The size of the anti-MOD crowd on this other forums makes that obvious, but that being said, the selection of titles available from the Warner Archive is expanding quickly. They are remastering some titles out of their own budget and they are creating custom covers for all new releases and even going back and creating covers for some older releases that had the generic blue packaging. They are even putting special features on some titles, and have reportedly even recorded a few commentaries. And now MGM/Fox, Sony and Universal have created their own MOD lines based on the Warner model. For that to happen there are clearly people who are buying these things, and whether we like it or not, the MOD experiment has clearly been a success.

12. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Which is fine my worry is that these studios are gonna start doing all their titles like this.

13. blu

blu New Member

That's news to me. Fingers crossed.

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

But can you imagine how many they'd sell if they were to release the more popular ones as Limited Edition DVDs? I won't buy these barebones DVD-Rs, but I will accept copies from my friends. Fuck the studios. They've made plenty off of me. I deserve better than $20 for a bootleg.

15. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Yeah, I noticed some of the newer covers. They look MUCH better than the old ones. Wish I would've waited on the handful I picked up way back when. Those old blue covers looked pretty bad.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I don't condone illegal downloading at all but these releases are nonsense. They are three times more then a regular DVD and more then most catalog Blu Rays, and for what? Basically you are getting DVD-R bootlegs that almost never include special features, covers aren't that great, can't be ordered in Canada. Why pay $20 for these!?

17. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Just a head's up, some titles like The Incredible Shrinking Woman, The Brass Bottle, and 40 Pounds of Trouble are coming soon to factory-pressed retail DVD!

There were some previous titles that received the same too.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Incredible Shrinking Woman (pressed DVD re-release) has been available as an exclusive in Wal-Mart stores for the last couple of months. The others may be too, but I can't remember seeing them on the shelves.

Nailwraps likes this.
  19. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Why would they suddenly press Incredible Shrinking Woman on retail DVD and not just go for a Bluray release? That title has such a weird release history anyway. It was MIA on VHS for the longest time, finally getting a release in 1994 just a few years before DVD came on the scene. It disappeared again until 2009 when Universal released it as an unremastered MOD disc. Now 8 years later it gets a pressed retail release on DVD (curious if it's the same version as the MOD disc which has horrible reviews on amazon.) Too bad they couldn't just license it to Shout Factory or Olive or even Twilight Time for an HD release. Lily Tomlin's All of Me is in desperate need of an HD upgrade as well.

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Midnight Lace is another. It's currently a Wal-Mart exclusive.