Unpopular Movie Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Don't know if we've ever done this here.

In this thread, feel free to state an opinion about a horror movie that most people would disagree with. There are only 2 rules:

1. No opinions about The Blair Witch Project or House of 1000 Corpses, which seem to be very divisive among horror fans as it is.

2. No criticizing or praising others' opinions, no matter how outlandish they are. That way, no one can be accused of "starting things up", since there will be no further comments.

Anyway, here go a few off the top of my head:

None of the Friday the 13th movies are particularly good.

All Halloween sequels (except #3) suck, because they undermine the intent of the original film, that is, that Laurie is a random victim of Michael Myers

Dee Snider's Strangeland is actually pretty good.

The Beyond is overrated. So is Tenebrae.

The finale of Opera is out of place and inappropriate, not to mention dumb (cops can't tell a dummy from a real corpse??)

The Church is Michele Soavi's best film (and yes, I've seen Dellamorte Dellamore)

Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is pretty lame.

Twitch of the Death Nerve may have been a pioneering slasher, but it's uneven and meandering.

Day of the Dead is just as good as the other 2 films in the trilogy, even if it's nowhere near what Romero wanted.

Dead-Alive is too silly.

2. lets see....

Evil Dead is a good cheesy horror film but is highly overrated.

Thats really all I have to offer at the moment.

3. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

4. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

suspiria is really overrated

5. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Okay I got one I just came to realize, Halloween is not very good or particularly scary. I just watched it a couple weeks ago and it bored me to tears.

6. DVD Connoisseur

I agree with the Suspiria comments. I love Argento films but I don't think Suspiria comes close to some of his other movies. It's by no means a bad film, it just isn't that good.

7. DVD Connoisseur

Apocalypse Now is over-rated, over-long, over-indulgent and.....boring!

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

All movies suck in one way or another, just some don't suck nearly as much as others.

Predator 2 is better than Predator!

9. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I think George Romero is overrated.

10. Numania

Numania Guest

Beyond The Darkness is so bad I watched it and don't remember any of it...really.

Opera is crap, but I bought the SE used, so it was cheaper than the regular.

Shogun Assassin is fuckin' stupid, gay, and not worth the money.

Evil Dead is the only good one of the three.

Day of the Dead is the best in the trilogy...zombie-wise...NOTLD is just a great movie.

Salo isn't appalling at all. Get over it...

Return of the Living Dead 3 has no place in the trilogy. All comedies followed up by a crappy attempt at horror...nah...

Miike is not a great director.
    -- Ichi The Killer is a boring shitfest
    -- Audition is ok, though...

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Suspiria is highly overrated, but still a good film.

Cannibal Holocaust is really overrated too, I kept hearing about all this social commentary and such, well it just seemed like a gross-out film to me.(which isn't a bad thing, it was an alright movie to a certain extent.)

Day of the Dead, very underrated. I can understand people being pissed in 1985, but all thats done and over with and the hypes died so people can see that its actually a really good movie.

Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom is underrated. This is my favorite in the series by far. What can I say? I liked how it was much darker than the other two.

Alien 3 as well. I find this movie highly entertaining and a fitting close to the trilogy. (although Ressurection wasn't bad either, I just like 3's conclusion better.)

And lastly Scream is underrated. This film is quite original in my opinion, atleast at the time of it's release. Great story, really interesting characters, some nice kills, and tons of nods to older films. It's quite a shame it spawned five years of copycats and floating heads.

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Night of the Living Dead is overrated, even though it is still a good film. I think the remake is a better film overall.

And, at the risk of getting Disco Stu on my case, Deliverance sucks (although I only saw it on a shitty VHS and realize I should rent the DVD to get my overall opinion of the film). Maybe my opinions will change, but until then it will remain the same.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

FRIGHT NIGHT is a horrible attempt at creating a horror film; its only purpose is to excite people with 80's TV-host nostalgia. It's boring and silly.

CARRIE is one of the more overrated films of all time, IMO. I saw everything coming from a mile away, howled when I was supposed to be frightened, and was upset that I rented this over LEPRECHAUN IN THE HOOD.

BLACK SUNDAY is pretty boring too. Aside from good music and moody sets, it's one of the slowest films I've ever seen. Barbara Steele is ugly too.

TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE may have "started" the slasher bang, but it certainly isn't worthy of the praise that comes along with that.

HALLOWEEN 3 isn't underrated anymore - everyone seems to love it and say "I don't know what everyone else is talking about" when most of them agree! If anything, it's overrated now, but the definitions of these words often get muddled, so I don't want to start this debate.

SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY doesn't get enough credit as one of Franco's best films.

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN PARIS isn't nearly as bad as many people make it out to be (this could, however, be a biased "guilty pleasure" here, but I don't think so).

WOYZECK is better than NOSFERATU: PHANTOM DER NACHT.

I would like to thank Paff for creating this nice little thread where we can vent.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2003
  14. 6sick6

6sick6 New Member

SC-It's not Hell but you can see it from here.
    Seems like a perfect place to say 3 things:

David Lynch is so beyond overrated as a director it is unbelievable. Aside from The Elephant Man(and possibly Blue Velvet) , his films are composed of shots that would end up on the deleted scenes of other director's dvds.Mulholland Drive is the epitome of this.

DVD inspires more people to type about them than actually watch the things.

And, I enjoyed film a helluva lot more before the internet got involved.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  15. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Oh, that's low. :( :cry: :lol:

This may be off topic, but I saw the new DVD at FYE yesterday when I was at the mall with my one friend. I pointed it out to him and said "this is the one without Michael Myers... it's really good." He immediately says "it looks 'gay'." I hate when people do that! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2003
  16. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Halloween is the most overrated movie EVER!

Buriser is very underrated.

Beyond The Darkness is overrated.

Phenomena is very underrated.

Sleepaway Camp movies are way overrated, other than the ending to the first flick the movies suck ass.

Zombie is overrated, still a good flick but The Beyond and COTLD are much better.

Return Of The Living Dead is overrated.

The Howling is overrated and pretty borning.

17. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

SLEEPAWAY CAMP is nothing short of sheer boredom. The premise and ending I find particularly offensive (even for a horror film) in 1983...like something conceived in a school-yard.

HALLOWEEN III was actually better than I remembered. Tom Atkins is great!

HALLOWEEN II could have been great, were it not for the relationship building plot device used.

THE EXORCIST I don't find particularly frightening...I'm not sure why.

I have a hard time finding much remotely entertaining about PIECES.

BRIDES OF DRACULA gets a bad wrap, even though it has nothing to do with Dracula directly. Its a very eery and atmospheric picture.

THE BEYOND is overrated. I preferred THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY.

18. Tye

Tye New Member

Great thread!!
    Anyway......
    Return of the Living Dead part II sucks.........
    I really feel that The Exorcist is a bit overrated. Good movie and all.....but I would choose The Omen over The Exorcist any day!!
    Hell Night is a bit underrated. Yes it's cheesy and all, but I really feel that it had some very creepy moments.
    Army of Darkness sucks........
    1980's horror films are overall pretty good (not sure if this is a minority or a majority thing....just thought I'd throw this one in).
    Italian giallos really aren't that good.....but I collect those DVDs anyway.
    Salo is actually entertaining.
    Halloween is a bit overrated.
    Think that Repulsion is a better film that Psycho.
    I agree that none of the Friday the 13th films are good as well as any of the Nightmare on Elm Street films.
    The remake of Night of the Living Dead is better than the original.
    That's all for now!!!
    :banana:

19. drown021

drown021 Guest

I think Troma films are underrated.

Halloween 3 was good until rewatching it again and now I think it is slow.

Children of the liviing dead wasnt THAT bad.

20. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Hell night-Underrrated
    Halloween 3 -Overrated
    Texas chainsaw 2-overrated
    my dear killer-underrated
    horror-Way overrated
    Castle of blood-underrated
    Blood and black lace-overrated
    the crazies-overrated
    pumpkinhead-underrated
    This list could go on forever.