Unpopular Movie Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Oct 23, 2003.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I don't know guys, the original set of rules included:

"No criticizing or praising others' opinions, no matter how outlandish they are."

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

ALL Italian horror flicks, especially those dealing with zombies, are boring as hell.

"Original" movies that have been remade dozens of times (Psycho, Halloween, Exorcist, Omen, Last House..., Nightmare..., Friday..., etc.) HAVE lost their effectiveness, but if you put your mind in the right place (like, say, a time warp) they can still be a little scary.

Overrated List: Creepshow, Funny Games, Don't Look Now, City of Lost Children, Henry, Bubba Ho-Tep, all versions of Dracula, Wicker Man, Carrie ('76)...Citizen Kane, too.

3. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I've got one for you:

"Freedom 90" is one of the best pop songs of the past 30 years. ESPECIALLY when you consider that George Michael was really talking about the fact that he's gay. That just gave the song a whole new life. Plus, it's a great tune.

4. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

Return to Sleepaway Camp was not only a good movie, but also a far better sequel to the original than Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Return of the Living Dead 3 is the best of the RotLD movies. There's no contest.

Children Of The Corn is a terrible, terrible movie.

The second half of Texas Chainsaw Massacre is barely watchable...actually I often turn it off half way through.

I'd rather watch Hellraiser 3 and Bloodline than Hellraiser 2.

Ginger Snaps 2 is as good, if not better than the original...and I love the original.

I wish people would quit making zombie movies...for 5 years.

Troma should be banned from releasing other people's movies. Actually they should be banned from releasing their own movies as well.

Silver Bullet - One of the greatest werewolf movies of all time!

Remakes are cool. Just means more horror movies in theatres.

I'd rather watch The Crazies than Dawn or Day of the Dead...I'd rather watch Monkey Shines and The Dark Half too.

Alien 3 is an awesome, awesome movie. The theatrical version and the director's cut.

I don't get the love for Deliverance.

--I'm sure I'll come up with some more. :)

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Not really; he thinks Wes Craven wasn't always a hack. ;)

There was a time when I felt the Spanish Dracula was better, but I've changed that opinion. It's flat out got terrible acting. I don't care how much better the staging may be. Mina's more revealing dress is realistically its only saving grace.

Dracula, Van Helsing, Renfield and even Mina are excellent in Browning's version. And I reluctantly credit Browning specifically for that. I especially like Mina because her moments of vampirism are truly animalistic. Her reaction to Bela's stabbings is also very good. Hammy? Maybe, but I'd rather have some ham than the "realistic" boring acting.

7. Meadows

Meadows Guest

Fumi - "Jason X is a great movie" and "Halloween was boring." Oh dear, I think someone is concussed! ;-)

Overrated - Carrie, The Others, Wizard of Oz

Underrated - The Sentinel, Leatherface III (shoddy ending aside), Dead End (the dad is a legend!)

8. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

The Monster Squad sucked.

That one's for Demon.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I still don't get why people seem to think Carrie is so overrated. It honestly doesn't seem to be much of an unpopular opinion anymore. I just don't get what was so overrated about it. DePalma is a fantastic director, and anybody who thinks otherwise fails to see the art of filmmaking. What exactly makes Carrie so "overrated"?

Scarface. That's DePalma's most overrated film.

I will admit though, Sisters is a great film.

~Matt

10. i hate suspiria and i ebayed my limited edition version because i couldnt even stand to see the POS.

The Scream films are all great fun.

Tom Savinis remake of NOTLD is possibly better then all of romeros zombie films (i dont say that lightly as i love his films).

El Mariachi is borderline unwatchable, i only brought it because i love RR's following films.

EDIT* Just saw someone mention deliverenace, Yes that film is TERRIBLE!! Ive realised the terrible mistake ive made with my films, ive not put gay rape in them!!! instant success to any peice of s**t!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2008
  11. Luki

Luki New Member

I enjoyed Pirannha 2: The Spawning :).

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

....what!? :eek2:

~Matt

13. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

That figures. In a weird way. The last remark is not funny though, just silly.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Honestly.

Sure, you may not have liked Deliverance, but it is certainly NOT a bad film. You just didn't (or refused to) understand it. It's not about male rape, it's much much more than that.

To quote Gary Tooze, the man (of incredible intelligence) who writes reviews over at DVDbeaver:

"I consider this film, in all its testosterone glory, to be an American classic, certainly Boorman's best film. The protagonists, essentially embody one, some or all of our own human qualities. And they are on an adventure. A frightening one that they will never forget. It tests their courage... as men battling the mysteries of a soon to be forgotten river - as it will be imminently flooded and become part of the existing delta... Boorman went for relative unknowns instead who all proved more than up to the task. Voight is one of the best American actors of all time. The role of Lewis now seems tailor-made for Reynolds in perhaps his best performance of his career. Poor Ned Beatty will always be remembered for his 'uncomfortable' scene. Truly, although certainly male oriented, a strong and excessively memorable film commenting on male bonding - life decisions and the social consequences of interbreeding. One of the best films of the 70's."

I couldn't have possibly said that better myself. An extremely powerful and moving film.

~Matt

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Re: Deliverance... I don't know. Not for me. The infamous scene aside, I still do not see it as a great or even good film. It's OK. Not one of the best of the 70s though in my book, with all due respect to Tooze.

And De Palma is not a great director. I understand "the art of filmmaking" (no snotty-ness intended, Matt) but look at his resume. A lot of questionable films there. Also, a lot of films that were saved by great actors giving great performances, rather than by his direction. He is never uninteresting and has loads of style, but when his films rely solely on his direction (rather than great casting), they frequently falter.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Deliverance by James Dickey is surprisingly obvious. Never cared for it.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

ahhh! not this discussion again! :D
    ok, depalma may have talent, but that doesn't mean i have to like him. his hitchcock ripoffs have been inexcusable, and i feel justified in my hatred for him based on body double, dressed to kill, and femme fatale alone.

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

Fun thread. I think I missed this the first time around, which is surprising.

Some of my obvious ones (from reviews or previous discussions):

-ROTLD2 is underrated. Not as good as the original but I watch it more.

-Dawn 2004 is as good as the original; two very different movies.

-Waxwork and Waxwork 2 are underrated gems.

Not so obvious:

-TCM (the original) is overrated and does absolutely nothing for me.

19. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

The movie Home Sweet Home is awful:mad: It was boring and uneventful

Don't even get me started on The Howling III:rolleyes:

Last House on the Left rocks

I have a growing fondness for The Burning

I think Graduation Day was pretty cool

I speak in defence for all Video Nasties!

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree on that one.

~Matt