Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

FYI: 80% of all statistics are made up.

Natas likes this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Even if you're attacking the film and not the person, what's the point? A person should be able to say that they like a shitty film without the next person in line devoting several paragraphs to tearing that film down.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes, it's depicting violation and/or rape. It's also portraying assault, cannibalism and murder. Often without the character's consent. And that is, indeed, pretty nasty.

Now, I may have to check, but it seems to me more than a few horror films depict society's uncouth nature. Maybe. Just maybe. It could be considered a defining feature of the genre.

zbinks likes this.
  4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

#fictionallivesmatter

Angelman likes this.
  5. maybrick

It is a little bizarre, when you put it that way, that out of all the horrible things the "zombies" do in Nightmare City ripping women's blouses is the part that is considered crossing the line.

zbinks likes this.
  6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Nightmare City - "Grab 'em by the pussy"

~Matt

7. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

And I agree that Twilight is nasty. A hundred plus year old grown man standing in a teenage girl's bedroom after dark. I don't care if you sparkle, here's your restraining order.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

That happens to me ALL THE TIME. Everywhere I go, women try to rip my pants off.

Joking aside, they are zombies and it is an exploitation film. They are not implying rape, they are giving teenage boys breasts to stare at.

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Okay, where is your proof? ;):D

10. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Back to unpopular opinions:

Here's one. The movie CLUELESS....... kinda fucking sucks. I saw a recent ad for an upcoming comedy which lists a bunch of "classics" it's comparing itself to. Clueless being one of them. I used to enjoy it as a kid but I my wife was watching it a few weeks back. There literally is not one character in that movie that isn't annoying as fuck. Paul Rudd MAYBE.......but then he's a statutory rapist at the end of the film, right? The skateboarder stoner was cool for a few minutes, till he gave his bong up to charity. Like a bitch.

Rolling with the homies.......... pffffff........ fuck off.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Everywhere I go, women try to cover me with more clothing.

Angelman likes this.
  12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Only in the past few years did I finally figure out that I don't like IPA's. That "hoppy" means I need to stay clear. I've finally come to understand I only enjoy stouts, beer that leans towards the malty, and that's about it. It took me a long time to figure out because beers that are all the rage are hoppy, and I liked none of them. So what all beer conversations end up boiling down to for me are "here's what I need to avoid!"

But just recently I've learned that this other alcoholic brew I've been avoiding since 18 because it's "what women drink" is good. Often damn good. In fact I've never had an objectionable glass of it. And that's wine. I enjoy wine way more than beer.

So after this epiphany I've gone through all the bottles of wine I'd been sitting on around the house and validated my conclusion. I'm never going to buy beer again. I'm just picking up regular run of the mill bottles of wine. They go great with meals and all by themselves. And I no longer have to worry about someone dumping a shit load of hops into something new that peeks my interest. I'm done with beer.

TLDR: Beer sucks. I'm drinking wine with the ladies and making passes at you significant other while you torture your palate on nasty hops with the boys.

Matt89 and Workshed like this.
  13. sade

sade Member

IRS (Imperial Russian Stouts) is my favorite style. I don't mind hoppy beers though. The thing I cannot stand from beer snobs is their fascination with BA (barrel aged) beer. If I want my beer to taste like bourbon then I will go and drink bourbon ! Plus those will coast you at least double their regular counterpart.

14. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Aiiiiight, man......hand over your Man Card, right now!! It's over for you! LOL

I've recently indulged in the finer world of wine myself. But I only like ports- dessert wines. There are a couple of local wineries here locally, one of which has this bottle called "Red Zombie" and it's fucking fantastic!!! It's more fruit punch than wine, except after 3 glasses you're a mess.

But at the end of the day I'm still a beer drinker. I like SOME IPAs but not most. Last Friday I actually had 7 different kinds of beer throughout the day. Like, that really happened. We went to the World of Beer (fucking phenomenal establishment, if you have one near you, I can't recommend enough) and I got a "flight" of 4 different beers. I got 2 different pumpkin brews, an IPA and a stout. "Moose Droll" was my favorite.

My days of drinking 15 Budweisers are over, unless it's a golf tournament and they're free. But I prefer the heavier, better tasting beers. Since being in Texas, I've grown fond of the Shiner brews. Shiner Holiday Cheer is out again and it's fucking magical. I've also been into Fat Tire a lot lately as well.

Workshed likes this.
  15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Fair enough... sorta. The genre's portrayal of death by, at least, 1980 had clearly become a questionable subject. Lots of films going beyond using horrifying, over-the-top death scenes to confront audiences' fear of death itself and just providing ridiculous spectacles for the value of entertainment.

But, elementally, death on film will always have that meaning behind it. We'll remember, in the silliest of films, that death is still a real thing. Otherwise it's our own fault that we can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

Sexualized violence does not work the same way as non-sexual violence does, on the other hand. And it never did either.

This is a public forum. I do believe people who are just shooting the shit, as they say, will not air their "I don't want anyone to say anything bad about the films I like" opinions in public on the internet.

Not sure what else to tell you.

You really want to go there, Maybrick? Most people do not have real-life experience being murdered, mutilated, cannibalized / eaten alive, sprayed with bullets from a semi-automatic weapon, having their blood drained through their neck / skin, etc. A great deal of people have real-life experience being raped, molested, groped, and sexually harassed without their consent. Etc.

Clear now?

16. maybrick

The only thing that is clear is that you insist on arguing pointless shit for the sake of arguing pointless shit. As Matt and the OP pointed out, in a thread that is titled "Unpopular Opinions" it is patently stupid to go out of your way to disagree with people that freely admit that their opinion is unpopular. Just accept their opinions as their opinions and move on with your life. Sheesh.

Matt89 likes this.
  17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I really enjoy Star Trek: The Animated Series.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

No, actually, nothing is more pointless than someone saying something like "wow, people don't care about people dying anymore but- a few ripped shirts and..." And I think I adequately proved why.

Hey, kid, wake up: I can add my opinion on a movie in any thread I want to. Got it? Is it sinking in yet? I can't control whether you like it or not, or like me or not. Sorry. That's life.

19. maybrick

Oh well, I tried, but it is clear that after 9 years here you're never going to learn how to have an adult conversation with anybody. The only thing you proved is that I shouldn't have bothered to remove you from my ignore list, so back you go.

20. DVD-fanatic-9

Fuck off.

I'm actually going to repeat earlier fractions of my post to Maybrick because I sure as hell proved both points perfectly (I guess he just can't take the truth):

This is a public forum. I do believe people who are just shooting the shit, as they say, will not air their "I don't want anyone to say anything bad about the films I like" opinions in public on the internet.

Not sure what else to tell you.

You really want to go there, Maybrick? Most people do not have real-life experience being murdered, mutilated, cannibalized / eaten alive, sprayed with bullets from a semi-automatic weapon, having their blood drained through their neck / skin, etc. A great deal of people have real-life experience being raped, molested, groped, and sexually harassed without their consent. Etc.

Clear now?