Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Totally agree. There were some really terrible games for Atari 2600. I think My favorite was Raiders of the Lost Ark which came with no instructions and actually had complicated game play.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That is not even an opinion, that's fact. Trespasser is the worst game ever made in my opinion.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

For me, it was either Silverload or Clock Tower on the PS1. Complete and total duds.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Agreed. It didn't turn out THAT bad considering the lack of time the creator had.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well that IS a good title. :D

I'm going to follow that up and say Dracula: Dead and Loving It is very funny. Leslie Nielson is still great in this and Peter MacNicol is excellent as Dwight Frye! Mel Brook's Jewish shtick even gets better mileage as Van "We should have put newspapers down" Helsing. Plus it follows the Universal Dracula so closely while skewing the Coppola version so well. Never got the hate then nor now. Sometimes comedies can be rediscovered but not this one. :(

6. MisterTwister

Both Men in Tights and Dracula Dead and Loving It are funny.

Hell I find them both funnier than...Blazing Saddles. Never found that one funny really.

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yup that is an unpopular one.

Angelman and Fistfuck like this.
  8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Robin Hood: Men in Tights is okay. Nobody thinks it's Airplane! good and it does not deserve an especially "bad" reputation.

The comedy that really sucks yet retains an absurdly lofty reputation is Trains, Plains, and Automobiles. John Candy deserves at least 82% of every single mean thing Steve Martin says throughout the entire film. JC's character is a thoughtless, inconsiderate, obnoxious ingrate. He's truly as bad as Dan Aykroyd in The Great Outdoors but without the "I'm Clearly the Jerk of the Movie" moral shading. Steve Martin is not the greatest guy on the planet, but I see him trying to make nice. He tries. John Candy takes almost everything he tries to do for granted.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I love Planes, Trains and Automobiles. That said, I despise the ending. Can someone explain to me the weird moment between John Candy and Steve Martin's wife when they're introduced? From the moment they get to the door, the wife starts acting flaky.

Workshed likes this.
  10. DVD-fanatic-9

You can have it. I don't believe there's any joy or honest, untainted humor to be derived from the kind of situations portrayed in this film. It breaks one of comedy's golden rules. Take, for example, what John Cleese always said about Fawlty Towers and his character Basil's constant insults to his wife, Sybil. It's the same formula resurrected in The Nanny with Niles and C.C. Babcock: when the jokes are rolling, the subject / butt of the joke can't take direct offense to the joke. Fuck: even Tommy Boy knew this whenever Tommy would make a joke against/about Richard and vice-versa. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is about 100 minutes of Steve Martin squirming in abject agony at every single thing the movie is doing to him. Yet we understand what he's doing to try to avoid each unpleasant situation and his attempts are admirable. He is trying to be a good person and do the right thing and the movie is torturing him for it. Where is the humor? If the butt of the joke lets the jokes get to them... it's not funny.

Standard John Hughes Family Movie Ending. Remember the reunion endings to both Uncle Buck and Dutch. Same thing applies to Jo Beth Williams and Elaine Bromka. They simply cease to be relevant except to be standing in-place when the music gets cranked up, the hugs / handshakes start rolling out, and the credits are ready to go.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It is a flawed film but it has its moments, such as John Candy's "I like me" speech and Mess Around performance (which was very well spoofed in Ted 2). This scene however is the films best imo.

dave13 likes this.
  12. MisterTwister

I hate when I have to say "I enjoyed it but it has its flaws" Fuck you society. Every movie and person has its flaws. I'm flawed but awesome. Zombie Dude is flawed but awesome. Angelman is flawed but awesome. Natas is flawed but awesome. DVD-Fanatic 9 is flawed but....

So Planes, Trains and Automobiles is hilarious huh!

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Alexandra Daddario isn't flawed.

dave13 and Angelman like this.
  14. MisterTwister

Physically? Of course not.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

Well, sure it wasn't the worst film ever made. But what is? (Lots of contenders, still hard to pick The One.)

I think it was all too apparent that John Candy's character liked himself. That wasn't the problem, that before he made that speech people assumed that deep-down he didn't like himself enough. The behavior his character exhibited all-film-long made it clear that he liked himself just fine. It was other people and their boundaries and respecting them that he had a clear issue with.

Anything Ted-related is the worst of all things ever. (I realize what I said above, this I will make an exception for.) Seth MacFarlane is the Michael Bay of comedy- a supreme hack who's best at making disasters.

16. thing

thing Well-Known Member

yeah it sucks, Steve Martin sucks in general

17. DVD-fanatic-9

Harsh.

I think most people grow up having to take whatever their family offers them, your kid years are spent in the shadow of your parents and what you like that they like- my parents weren't huge Steve Martin fans either. But... one thing about Steve Martin most certainly doesn't suck in any way at all and is in no way up for debate:

18. thing

thing Well-Known Member

He is the worst, Im not sure if he has fans outside of America. I do like Bowfinger though.. despite his presence.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

Sebastian Bach on Gilmore Girls...

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Steve Martin cameos:

Myron Breck likes this.