Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Yes John Stamos ruined them.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Well, I don't believe mental illness did them any favors, either.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Really? Okay, I guess I could kind of see disqualifying The Thing for being Sci-Fi (likewise Village of the Damned and Ghosts of Mars) and Vampires for being more of a Western/Action flick with supernatural overtones, but what about Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth of Madness? How would you classify those two?

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well Prince of Darkness has a sci-fi edge to it. I meant it in the sense that Halloween, The Fog and Christine were "simple" horror movies, and weren't hybrids of another genre. (As Prince of Darkness is more sci-fi/horror.)

But yeah...you got me with In the Mouth of Madness...yeah ok so he only made 4 horror movies. :D

~Matt

5. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Damn straight.

Yet the Carpenters made a lot of horrible songs.....

6. Criswell

Criswell New Member

my total dislike of Day of the Dead.

Why its highly regarded eludes me.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LMAO As much as I agree, tell that to my mother. :D

~Matt

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm with you on that as well. More overrated band in history.

9. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

Bob Dylan has got to be one of the most boring people on earth. Some good songs, but is it just me or are other people's covers of his songs ALWAYS better than his originals?

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

:eek:

As much as I think he was a TERRIBLE singer, it's the ideas in his songs and what he had to say that made him so great. Brilliant musician, Bob Dylan is. (His earlier career, anyway.)

~Matt

11. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

As far as movies...

1. Friday the 13th is just about the most overrated movie series in horror. Give me Michael over Jason any day.

2. City of the Living Dead is one of Fulci's most overrated movies from his "classic" period. Except for the scene where someone throws their entire guts up, it's boring. Radice was much better in House on the Edge of the Park and Cannibal Ferox.

3. Anthropophagus sucks.

4. The Hostel films are good.

12. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

1. The Exorcist is a well-made, stylish film, but it isn't scary at all.

2. Dario Argento's imperfect grasp on narrative structure and the fact that he isn't an actor's director makes some of his films feel like artificial stylistic exercises.

3. Heavy metal music doesn't automatically work in horror films. It can work, but certain directors, Argento for one, put it on display in a way that is at odds with the action of tempo accompanied by the music.

4. Originality is overrated and misunderstood. It is all but impossible to create a movie separate from previous traditions, and attempting too eagerly to do so often results in a pretentious and artificial piece of work.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more on all those statements, especially the bit on Argento and with number 4...its like we share the same mind LOL. Well-put, very well-put.

~Matt

14. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Lost in Translation is the most expensive student film ever made.

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Thanks, Matt. :) For the record, I do like Argento - but his shortcomings are as distinctive as his trademark style. Those shortcomings are more prevalent in some of his movies than others - The Bird with the Crystla Plumage has them to a larger extent than The Cat o'-Nine Tails, and Tenebrae has them to a larger extent than Deep Red. And those shortcomings tend to impair my enjoyment of Argento, I'm afraid....

I do disagree with your statement on Carpenter having made only three horror films, though... But I can see where you are coming from. From my perspective, the science fiction elements don't disqualify The Thing as a horror movie. And Prince of Darkness is all out horror - and rather good, actually.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yet it's still a great film. :D

~Matt

17. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Man, it's so easy to take shit personally on the Internet. I'm gonna steal an Eckhart Tollé concept and say that there are a HELL of a lot of heavy pain bodies on teh webz.

I've sat through a bunch of Beach Boys songs, I like some of the stuff on Pet Sounds because it's very pretty. They've got really nice harmonies, but I totally agree that they're overrated as fuck. They're also not terribly consistent, they'll have a song like "Good Vibrations" which has a REALLY nice verse but a fucking terrible chorus. I feel the same way about the Police's "Don't Stand So Close to Me" and "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic", actually.

As for The Beatles.... I still don't get how anyone can dislike their stuff. I dunno how you can put on the white album and hate EVERY song, but that's just me. You might not be into the silly Paul stuff, but what about something like "Dear Prudence" or "A Day in the Life"? That stuff is so goddamn good!

You know what I love about this thread? It makes me realize how much I've matured over the past four years, because I think I would've been calling a bunch of you "FUCKING IDIOTS!" or something ridiculous like that, just taking it personally. Now I'm like "Hey, weird!".

I guess I should add to this thread somehow...

"Life in a Northern Town" by Dream Academy is one of the best songs ever, I love that song :D

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

George Harrison was the most talented of The Beatles. ;)

Back to horror:

Tod Browning sucks.
    Dracula - Greatness comes from casting and Freund
    Freaks - Would have potential if it had Lon Chaney; instead it's boring.
    Mark of the Vampire - Great cinematography ruined by a terrible script, terrible casting (beyond Lugosi and Carroll Borland) and terrible direction.
    Devil-Doll - All around terrible except for good production design.

Always seemed to me that after Freaks he was trying to be James Whales.

19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I concur.

20. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Okay, here's another one:

Whenever I hear people talking really intellectually about older films, something in me wants to yell "NEEEEERRRRRDDDD!!" and then turn to someone else and say "Hey pal, did you get a load of the nerd??"

What's really weird is that I love a ton of older flicks and I'm far from a black & white hater.