Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

That makes sense because most of the time those people are recycling stuff they read in a book or heard someone else say.

I don't even agree with my opinions from earlier in this thread!:eek:

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

REALLY. I don't know how people don't like The Beatles. A Day in the Life is auch an amazing song. And you can't pass off everything The Beatles have done as simple pop music. Sure their music was silly at first, but I believe it was Bob Dylan who told them, "You have all these kids at your grasp and ALL you can say to them is I Wanna Hold Your Hand???" And thus, they changed the tone of their music DRASTICALLY. Compare one of their early albums like Please Please Me to something of the likes of Let It Be or Abbey Road. Totally different in tone. But like I said before, meh...some people just don't like 'em. I just simply don't understand why.

Hey na na na na na na na HEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAIIIIIIUUUUHHHHHHH.....Life in a Northern Town.....hey na na na na....

Great Tune. :D

Back On the Chain Gang by The Pretenders is another great one. I dunno why, but I fucking LOVE that song!

~Matt

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  3. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Actually, that is quite a popular thought, isn't it?

Here's the unpopular one:

"People who dislike other people talking really intellectually, just aren't educated or well - informed enough, or hate themselves for being educated - dunno what is worse".
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

For me, if someone says something that surpasses my thoughts on something, I shut-up and listen. It happens quite often, if I may say so. Most people who complain about "intellectual talk" (and, WHAT IS THAT? WHAT DOES IT MEANS?) - those I see, at least- are people who like to think they know it all and can never accept the fact that someone could know better.
    - Yada-yada-yada-Yeah but he got off just because he had money
    - Yeah, what would YOU do if you had it?

You could be hanging around with assholes though - don't take that personaly, ok Mattapooh? ;) . And if there's one thing worse than someone who knows nothing is someone who knows half. A lot of cinephiles are BS in-out-in-out all the time...

Some more:

Nights of Terror has an unbelievably nihilistic finale - one of the bleakest in the history of Zombie films.

Dakkota Fanning is an annoying brat that should be killed in an accident during the shooting of War Of The Worlds.

Coppola is better than Scorsese.

Inferno is better than Suspiria.

I prefer the 70's era of Elvis than anything he did before.

Leave John Landis alone. Ok, a terrible accident happen and he had a partial responsibility for that. He is such a nice guy, I am sure he lives with these ghosts day in day out. He sould be given another fuckin' chance. And a good script too.

The Island is the best film Michael Bay ever made.

and le grand finale:

I take Neil La Bute's Wicker Man seriously, and I like it.

4. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Totally agree, that's a great tune. That and "Don't Get Me Wrong" and a few other ones, really. I've always thought Chrissie Hynde was one of the coolest women in the world, she just seems like she'd be great company. In fact, I'd go so far as to say she's far more attractive (not physically, I'm talking on an overall level) than ANY modern "hot" chick like Jessica Alba.

5. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Actually, it's not anti-intellectualism on my part. I respect anyone that's got an opinion that goes further than "I dunno why I like/dislike it, I just do", but I find that most people who state opinions on a highly intellectual level tend to be coming from the pretentious side. Not just that, they tend to spout opinions that they read somewhere else and recycle in order to cover up insecurities that they may have.

That's obviously not always the case, but I find myself respecting people who are obviously intelligent but love Godzilla movies or the equivalent vs. somebody who's intelligent and talks about how much they love Frank Zappa. There are smart people that seem genuine and smart people that seem fake, but that's just how it goes.

Keep in mind that if I overheard anyone talking about James Whale, I'd immediately want to go over and have a conversation about that person, but I'd also be a bit wary of them. I think it really comes down to enthusiasm, because I find people who tend to be really stoked about things to be a bit more real.

I'm not trying to be judgmental at all, because whatever you're into is cool, plus I don't really think of myself as being that much of an intellectual heavyweight. I love what Joe Rogan said: "I KNOW I'm stupid, but I'm smarter than almost EVERYONE that I meet!".

6. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

What bothers me are the pseudo-intellectuals, who know very little about film, but will go on and on about how great this Turkish or Iranian film they just saw is. They're intelligent, somewhat liberal-minded people, who feel they need to watch an obscure foreign film to maintain some self ordained image of being cultured.

Another unpopular opinion: the Blue Oyster Cult SNL skit is NOT FUNNY. And if you never heard of (Don't Fear) The Reaper before watching that skit, and you go around spewing the quotes, you should be dragged to the village square and drawn and quartered.

7. The Chaostar

You are quite right in most of the things you say but there is always a trap. The trap that you could denounce Zappa without even listening to him just because some asshole likes him and you don't want to be called a nerd afterwards, y'know?

Fuck the "intellectuals" who denounce Godzilla. What about those who like him, though? What do THEY have to say?

8. The Chaostar

Oh, and Iranian cinema kicks ass.
    Lately some turkish films too.
    These countries are not obscure to me, man. Turkey is actually right next to me. There are no obscure countries in my book.

And Mother Of Tears rules.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Agreed.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Mattapooh, we seem to share similar taste in music. :D Don't Get Me Wrong kicks major ass!

About the intellectual bit: A lot of what people say of course comes from books because people READ lol. I'll admit that some stuff I've said in the past I got from a book, but it's something I totally agree with and I stand by that opinion, since it supports mine. I mean, I'm not gonna start referencing my posts LOL. :D I do get what you mean, though. There's fake intellectual and intelligent intellectual. But a lot of what anyone thinks comes from somewhere. For example, I can watch a film and form my own opinion. Then I read up on it (whether it be an essay by a film theorist, or a simple review from a critic) and I get someone else's perspective. This way I'm able to judge a movie fairly, by looking at it through my point of view, and then someone else's.

Oh and ditto on the Don't Fear the Reaper comment. As funny as I think it is, so many people who haven't heard the song just laugh at it. It's like, "shit you don't even REALLY know why it's funny." Like a lot of movie jokes that are placed in Family Guy episodes that my friends will watch. I'll be like, "err...did you even REALLY get it? It's a movie joke." "...Oh, really?"

~Matt

11. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I loved that song for most of my life and always found the cowbell to be a bit goofy, so that sketch KILLED me. Really though, it's just like the "I'm Rick James, bitch!" thing... absolutely hilarious at first and ruined by being over-referenced (did I just make up that expression?). Overall, it really sucks when something genuinely funny is ruined by a bunch of unfunny jackasses latching onto it. Actually, it's even worse when something that ISN'T funny (ie. Napoleon Dynamite) is over-referenced by unfunny jackasses.

12. The Chaostar

I've been a film critic for 14 years. The first thing I say to anyone who asks me on my job, I have the same answer: "Don't read critics before you see a film. Decide on your own what you want to see and THEN read."

Exchange of thoughts rules.

13. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Oh shit, totally agreed here (is this a trend or what?). My girlfriend gets references on that show that I don't get (she's a few years older), but generally I find people don't get the same references we do. There was one I saw recently where Peter said something about having INDIGESTION and the word showed up on his midsection which then stretched out like that old Pepto Bismol commercial from over ten years ago and we just fucking DIED. I think that show works on the base "Haha, he farted!" level as well as the pop culture junkie level. We're both huge receptacles of useless pop culture knowledge, so that's the stuff that hits us the most.

I'm kinda like that all the time, a friend of mine once yelled "HOPE YOU ENJOY THE EMPANADAS AND COKE. LOVE, MOM!" at a bar and I almost peed in my pants, so I guess that's where my humor's working.

As for the intellectual thing, I think there are people that are good regurgitators who spout stuff they've heard or read somewhere in order to sound intelligent, but there are also people who are very self-deprecating and not afraid to seem stupid. I dunno about you guys, but I find a lot of hippies are the former.... along with most people I go to college with. There's nothing worse than the pretentious nerd who feels compelled to insert some inane bullshit into a college professor's lecture.

14. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Critics tend to be a mixed bag for me. I've read reviews by Roger Ebert that I completely agree with (his review of Dark City and the commentary he put on that disc are just fantastic), but for the most part it becomes pretty stupid to listen to somebody else's word on a flick. Art is such a subjective thing that the whole idea of a critic seems so fucking stupid. It's almost like having a friend that's a chubby chaser telling you "Dude, that chick's HOT, you should go bang her!" even though she's 300 pounds and smells bad. I'm personally into chicks that are tiny up top with big asses while some dudes like really small girls, others like them tall and others won't go near anything that isn't blonde.

15. The Chaostar

For me, people look stupid only when they believe that they are REALLY clever.
    To not know, is... life. If someone however feels thay he looks stupid when someone knows something more, then he has real issues.

"There's nothing worse than the pretentious nerd who feels compelled to insert some inane bullshit into a college professor's lecture."

Shit. No, there isn't. What a depressing memory, those assholes in my class...

16. The Chaostar

Films aren't as chicks though... Was there never a film you used to dislike and now you admire because you now feel able to understand it?

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh man, definitely.

Studying film in university has done this to me. I'm not saying, "Oh I'm better than all of you because I'm studying film at a university level and you aren't." No. I just find that it's helped me personally understand films to a much greater extent. I thought I knew so much going in. Fuck, HOW WRONG I WAS. Wow. I'm in my 2nd year now and I still know very little. But, I know a HELL of a lot more now than I did going in. It's made me think about films in a completely different way. Like I've said numerous times, studying film at a university level GOT me to love films. Like right now we're doing Russian Formalism/Soviet Montage and Marxist Theory. Fuck, I'd NEVER think of applying things like that to films, but GodDAMN it applies. It's amazing, really. Can't wait for the secion on "Glorious Technicolor and Breathtaking CinemaScope." Can't wait!

But those kids who feel they need to chime in on a prof's lecture. Like, SHUT UP already. I just sit there and listen to what the prof has to say. The prof knows a HELL of a lot more than me. We're learning from HIM, not some jackass student's malign input.

~Matt

18. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Chaos, did not mean to insult you. I was simply referencing American pseudo-intellects. There's nothing wrong with the cinema of either or any country, only with people who substitute a knowledge of cinema, both mainstream and obscure, with a bravado of attempting to seem cultured.

19. The Chaostar

Wasn't insulted man, and you are right on the money with that comment!

20. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Family Guy sucks. Throwing together a bunch of pop culture references from the past doesn't make it a good show. The Simpsons is now like that too. It was good when it actually tried to tell a story, which is why King of the Hill is better than both.