Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Interesting info about the film industry. I don't usually go to the movies. I don't pirate new films. Here's the reason: the movies usually suck, ESPECIALLY for horror fans. I am frankly dead tired of hearing the industry complain about how people aren't going to the theatres, when they put films like Devil Inside in release, and I can stay home and watch Berberian Sound Studio. How dare film studios insult my intelligence and then fault me for not paying them for it!

2. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

That is very true. But at the same time, they starting cutting back on videos not long before Youtube came out (2005) which was a smart move on their part in the long run.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

They started cutting back on videos as far back as 1986 when they began successfully rerunning old Monkees episodes. The slide furthered with the introduction of their first original program, Remote Control. This was then followed by the creation of Blocks of videos in the form of TV shows (Yo! MTV Raps, Headbangers Ball, and the like). More non music programs followed (Liquid Television, Half Hour Comedy Hour), followed by the REAL beginning of the end: The Real World in 1992. It then got to the point in the 90s where the only times during the day when you could see a music video was late in the evening or early in the morning. All of the other times were either The Real World or Beavis and Butthead. There was also that horrible dating game starring Jenny McCarthy and that cokehead host from Talking Dead. And also that call in show with Dr. Drew. People began to complain so they created a second channel, MTV2, just for videos, but even that began to turn to crap. By the time my daughter was born 10 years ago, they only showed videos early in the morning and all but phased out the shows that I used to watch like 120 Minutes and Headbangers.

Basically, the owners learned early on that if a video came on that a person didn't like they would simply change the channel, and they certainly never stuck around for the commercials. So they had to create programming to become MORE profitable, because enough is never enough.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Just an additional observation, back when MTV first started up, it was incredibly addictive because you (or at least I and my friends) would sit through hours of trash just hoping that something cool would pop up. El Debarge would be on and we'd wait through it in the hopes that they'd show that Laura Branigan video with all the people writhing around because I swear dude one of them is totally naked.

I guess it's just an indication of either how much people's attention spans have changed or an indication of just how much more we have competing for our attention.

5. maybrick

MTV also had the same effect on me as well, but that was what I remember reading or hearing as the rationale behind the switch to programming. It was also about the same time that arcade games started going downhill, too. During the golden age of Pac Man and Donkey Kong all of the games were highly addicting, but too many people good enough where one quarter could entertain for a half hour or more. That would never do. So instead, they phased all of the great games out in put in their place ones that were timed. You go into an arcade now (if your lucky enough to even have one nearby) and they are almost all race car or fighting games.

6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

DRIVE is rubbish.

Everyone whines about how ONLY GOD FORGIVES is so miscalculated and bad in every way that DRIVE was great. Really? Both movies are exactly the same to me: All style and absolutely no soul at all. And pretentious to the bone - and that's from someone who believes that The End Of Sexual Innocence and The Tree Of Life are masterpieces. Michael Mann's THIEF is the film everyone who likes DRIVE must see to understand why.

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I loved the Thief and The Driver before I saw Drive and I still loved Drive, one of my favourite theatre experiences, saw it opening night without knowing anything going in :)

8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I don't disagree. There are probably ill effects from eating certain GM foods, but... I don't know

Well, Those sound like extreme cases, or like people don't wash their foods. I know a lot more people who eat GMO foods and are fat, high blood pressure, all that. I think people who don't understand nutrition and the reasons for all of this.

Mentally ill? Maybe. But I'm 40, vegan, in the best shape of my life and as sharp as ever. I also take very good care of myself.

Oh, this: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

It's all nutrition in the end. You gotta watch B12 and D vitamin intake, but being vegan or eating meat is all the same if you make sure you are meeting nutritional needs.

Well, no. I won't go on a diatribe here, as this conversation has happened a few times on this forum but if there is a sliding scale, we are much more built to eat plants than meat. To each their own, but there isn't anything unnatural about being a vegetarian.

9. maybrick

There is some dietary variation among us due to climatary adaptation but I don't think it's really natural to be 100% vegetarian for any of us. Canine teeth are a dead giveaway. People from the tropics would have a better time at it than somebody from Europe where vegetation has historically never been available during the winter months. Also, I think if it was really in our nature to be vegan we would be far more docile as a species. But who knows.

10. Angelman

Docile? You've clearly never seen me eat a plate of steamed vegetables. :)

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

12. thing

thing Well-Known Member

who cares if we have canine teeth, its about the needlessly wasteful and disgusting holocaust of animals every year. Id rather eat dirt that have anything to do with it.

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

14. Angelman

Exactly. Side note - love that movie.

I agree, that's why I'm vegan, though I find I rarely get anywhere with people when I tell them they how to live their lives. I find people are always curious about it, because I don't seem like the vegan type, and maybe it plants a seed (so to speak).

15. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Mah nigga.

16. maybrick

Despite my earlier statement, I'm always shocked at how offended people can get by what others put in their mouth. And that goes mainly more towards big meat eaters. Yes there are militant vegetarians out there, but most of the ones I know are resigned to the fact that they are a minority and don't make waves. But on the other side, I've met a TON of people who get visibly angry when a vegetarian is in their midst. I don't get it. A friend of mine has a story about a time that he stopped at a chain restaurant in the middle of podunk Iowa (or maybe it was one of the other states in the middle). He wasn't really a vegetarian per se, but he felt like having a garden burger so he asked for one. The waitress gave him a huge attitude about it, insisting that they didn't serve garden burgers, even when he pointed it out as a viable substitution on the menu itself! And then when the argument was over and it came to the table he reported that he got a number of strange glares from other customers while eating it. I don't know. People are weird.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It's a classic.

18. thing

thing Well-Known Member

yeah vegan here too

19. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

I'm surprised to see so many vegan and vegetarians on a site dedicated to horror movies! How does one reconcile the differences between what they ingest as entertainment (the blood, guts and death) with what they refuse to ingest as sustenance? I like animals as much as anyone and I'm an avid cat lover, but pets and livestock are two very different things in my opinion. I'm by no means a hater of vegetables, but you'll pry my bacon out of my cold dead hands!

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

What does fake blood and guts have to do with killing real animals? I also fail to see the difference between pets and live stock. Why because pets are cuter?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014