Unsolved Mysteries...Now on DVD!

Discussion in 'General' started by WesReviews, Sep 15, 2004.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Was it a Stack episode or a Farina episode?

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

To be honest, I have no idea. I took a peek at the list of episodes and nothing really rang a bell. It would be from about 1994-95 though.

3. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

The first season of Unsolved Mysteries (Robert Stack version) is now available on Amazon streaming!

Katatonia and fattyjoe37 like this.
  4. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

Season 2 of the Stack version has been added to Amazon streaming.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I've been watching season one on Prime. It's really fun because 30 years later, most of the cases are solved so they give you updates after every segment.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  6. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

Season 3 is up!

7. CPT HOOK

Didn't realize NetFlix had rebooted this. New season premieres on July 1st.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Netflix dropped the 6 new episodes of Unsolved Mysteries today. I've watched 2 of them and while they tell intriguing stories, the series doesn't feel like the old show. The music is there and they mix in the supernatural with missing persons or mysterious deaths, but each episode only covers one story. The old show had about 4 stories per hour, which made it so you could give some time to a Bigfoot sighting or something that wouldn't take up 50-odd minutes. So while we do get one UFO episode, I think this'll be much more of a true crime focused series.

They also made a choice to not have a host and cut back on reenactments. The host thing is a double edged sword. You're never going to get another Robert Stack, but the narration was the through line of the show and helped it all feel of a piece. The reliance on interviews and news footage instead of reenactments with actors portraying the people interviewed is what really disappointed me. The reenactments are what made Unsolved Mysteries scary. You could see the scenarios play out with more than b roll or inserts where you don't show the person's face. I think they want things to be taken a little more seriously, but I was so disappointed that in the UFO episode they never showed anything beyond a bright light. I bet the glimpses of creatures or aliens that kept me up at night in the original run will not be recreated because "people might think it's silly."

So while I hope this new iteration of the show leads people into searching out the classic episodes (which are streaming all over), I think this Netflix series is a mixed bag. Not the worst way to spend an hour, but not great either.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    CPT HOOK likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

I'm curious to check it out. The Dennis Farina ones were kind of cringe. Farina was fine, but they killed the theme and replaced it with weird computer noises, and there would be robotic blips for each letter whenever text would appear on the screen. Plus, they were just the old Robert Stack episodes with Stack replaced, using the same re-enactment footage. Major misfire.

I'm hoping for a ghost episode at least, as they were always my favorite. I'd probably be better off tracking down the Ghosts DVD set and watching a compilation of those for the sake of nostalgia.

10. CPT HOOK

I've seen the first three episodes and so far they've all been murders / mysterious deaths. They're interesting enough, but really it all feels more like Dateline or 20/20 than Unsolved Mysteries.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

6 new episodes have just been added to NetFlix.

SilentScreams, Christy and fattyjoe37 like this.