Until Dawn - PS4 Horror Game (2015)

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

"Until Dawn" is a new slasher/horror game, done in the same style as Heavy Rain.
    It basically acts like an interactive movie.
    There is no checkpoints or continues, when your character dies, he/she stays dead until the next game. Instead you jump to the next character/victim.
    Depending on the character you play, and what choices you make, the outcome can be very different every time you play the game.

All the graphics are in-game, using the same engine as "Killzone - Shadow Fall".

Gameplay:
    http://youtu.be/Kg7-w2TRzQU

Teaser Trailer:
    http://youtu.be/aKAVPofzu2g

Too bad you can´t play the killer :D

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yes I have had my eye on this one for a while - I did recently upgrade from a PS3 to a PS4 and am very excited to check this out as soon as it releases. Right now all my gaming time is taken up with the new Dragon Age - awesome game if you like RPGs.

3. Steel76

Yeah, Dragon Age is next on my list of games to get :)

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Looks great! Although, I hope it's not all "choose your own adventure" based.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

This is definitely one of Sony's exclusives I lament not being able to play, being an Xbox owner. Even after hearing some criticisms about the way the player interacts with the game. Everything they mention sounds like it would make the experience more fun and immersive.

This one and Bloodborn look so rad!

6. Steel76

Here is the full playthrough, of the demo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InhV7glyMl0

Notice the movie posters inside that home theater ;)
    Graham Reznick, the writer of this game, was the sound designer on those films, and also was the second unit director on the Ti West films.

The music during the chase scenes has a bit of Harry Manfredini vibe to it :)
    No info about who the composer is.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Looks pretty good. I was burned on The Evil Within, so I'll hold off on this until I read more about it.

8. Mutilated Prey

Burned? Does it suck?

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

It's decent enough. Throughout my play-through, I flip flopped on loving it to hating it.

There is too much disconnect between levels which diminishes the story and breaks you out of any immersive investment. The controls are clunky and there is a fair bit of trial and error.

On the plus side, the levels are designed really well and the graphics are extremely well done. Despite there being a fragmented narrative, the game does have a great creepiness to it.

I'm still on the fence on DLC.

Alien Isolation on the other hand is a masterpiece.

Damn that looks so good!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  10. Mutilated Prey

Gotcha, thanks. I tend to be a little more forgiving than most. I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point when the price drops a little more. A lot people knocked Darryl's Walking Dead game and I actually really enjoyed it. Ooo, I forgot about Alien Isolation. I'll grab that at some point too. I'm still playing catchup so I had the wife grab me Assassin's Creed III and Dead Space III for cheap cheap. Got Jericho coming in the mail too for next to nothing.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Nice! I too quite enjoyed the Darryl Walking Dead game! :cool:

12. Steel76

I gave up on the game, the controls and the camera kept pissing me off, the latter cause of the character being way too close to the camera, almost blocking my view when I was sneaking around etc.
    I´m amazed the neighbors didn´t call the cops on me, when I unleashed my anger upon the game :D

Had high hopes for the game, since I loved his earlier games, like Resident Evil 4.
    I might give it another try later on.

Alien Isolation sure is a masterpiece.
    The build up is slow and nice, and then all hell breaks loose, in a very satisfying way.
    It made me scream like a little girl :D

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This. For a game that forces you to use stealth, there aren't many areas to remain hidden. I found the graphics to be unimpressive, though if the gameplay were better, I would have overlooked it. I screamed at the TV constantly until I had enough and sold it to Amazon.

14. othervoice1

15. othervoice1

16. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

HOLY FUCK! Look at that crew!!!! :eek1:

SAVINI / MANFREDINI / HODDER

Take my money now please.

17. othervoice1

I do wish it had a single player campaign instead of multiplayer only - but looks cool

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  18. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw an early trailer for Until Dawn and it seemed really generic. Especially the voice acting. I just read the wiki and it talks about multiple plays to get the real / final story. I'm not into that sort of thing. There was a Gamecube game like that. I think called Eternal Darkness.

This Summer Camp game might be good. The person that's making it or one of his assistants created a topic on the Horror forum. I can't wait to see the gameplay and how that turns out.

19. Steel76

I have been playing through a couple of episodes, and it's even better than I expected it to be.
    Here we have a game, that succeeds where most modern movies fail, in the genre.
    The acting is really good, and most of the characters are likable. Though you can be in control of choosing a character to be nice or an asshole at times.
    Plenty of choices to be made, so this could basically be like a brand new "movie" each time.
    The jump scares are REALLY great. And there have been quite a few times, where I jumped and shouted "fuck you" at the TV afterwards :D

All the cliches are there. And it feels like a good old slasher from the golden age.
    I just played through a "stalk and slash" scene, that was really intense and exciting, and it reminded me of why I love the genre.
    Also the kills are pretty damn brutal and gory.
    Love the location as well, as you really feel totally isolated from any help from the outside.

Peter Stormare is pretty damn great as well, and creepy as fuck. You can tell that he loved doing this character :)

It's gonna be interesting too see how it all ends. And I have already been thinking about some alternative choices for my next playthrough.

This is a great mix of old-school 80:s slashers, like Friday the 13th, mixed with a bit of My Bloody Valentine, and a hint of Saw.

I'll give a final verdict, when I have finished my first playthrough :)

buck135 likes this.
  20. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

So this is basically just a point a click, choose your path, interactive movie a la The Walking Dead? I was really hoping it would be an actual video game. I can't stand that interactive movie shit. If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie. I really don't like the literal cinematic direction these games are heading in. Before you know it these games will just be all cutscenes where you push a button occassionally. Oh well, saves me $60 that can go towards a game that I can actually play and not just sit there and watch.