Upcoming Friday The 13th Blu-Rays, DVDs & Boxset From Paramount

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Shawn Francis, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

FRIDAYTHE13THFILMS.COM: So we know a bastard cropped reissue of the reboot is coming from New Line’s home division but over in Paramount land plans are afoot to drop a stack of Friday the 13th releases onto the market on October 4. Now obviously you know that Paramount will almost always disappoint you, so no never-on-blu-ray releases. Let’s take a look at what they are pooping out, then.

Friday the 13th DVD Collection
    Amazon have no information on this – but DVD Empire have more, including a fair price of $37. The proper name is Friday The 13th: 2011 DVD Collection – Limited Edition Gift Set and the product item page gives a description. Neither site list a number of discs, presently.

Return to Crystal Lake like never before with Friday the 13th Kill. . .Kill. . . Kill. . . Collection Limited Edition DVD box set. They’re all here: from the first Friday the 13th: Uncut to Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan. Re-experience the terror and the gore from the exhaulted executioner who never dies in this definitive collection of all 8 of the Friday the 13th films.

Okay, that’s not too shabby. The From Crystal Lake To Manhattan boxset from 2004 is out of print so this would collect the Deluxe Editions into one set. And that will be handy for those that don’t have ‘em, especially considering some of the later entries are now scarce themselves.

Friday the 13th Blu-ray & Friday the 13th DVD
    The 1980 original will be back on the market in what is presumably a reissue. Can we get some better cover art then the Deluxe Edition, Paramount? Although it looked certifiably badass, the killer on the cover looked like they were wearing black leather. And I don’t know about you but the thought of Mrs Voorhees all leathered up makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Oh okay, and a little turned on.

Friday the 13th Part 3 Blu-ray & Friday the 13th Part 3 DVD
    Hopefully it’s just Amazon’s lazy, inaccurate placeholder details but they are listing the ratio for these as 1.85:1 when the previous releases were 2.35:1 which was what the film was shot in. If it carries through with a cropped 1.85:1 ratio, I don’t have to tell you why that’s a bad thing for purists. In an ideal world Paramount would use these re-releases to offer up a better 3D print. The existing one was lambasted.

Friday the 13th Deluxe Edition Four-Pack
    Coming earlier than the others on September 20, this will contain the first four Deluxe Edition DVDs. It’s a simple enough dumping of old stock. Of minor note, DVD Empire already stock a blu-ray version of that upcoming set, called Friday the 13th: 4 Movie Collection. It’s part of a Paramount Blu-ray sale and is listed as having only 1 Disc. While I would love to report that Paramount just discreetly dropped Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter onto the Blu-ray format, there’s evidence on that page to suggest it is a glitch on DVD Empire’s part and the release is actually just the first film with an incorrect product title.

When will Paramount learn? Maybe after they’re done whoring Star Trek, their “respectable” genre franchise. Anyhow, someone must have fucked up by letting some of those Deluxe Editions turn out so good! Think we’ll get parts 4-8 on Blu-ray before there’s another format jump? Let us pray.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I never bought the Deluxe Editions since I'd already bought the singles and then the box set...but if they collect all of the DEs in one cheap set, I'll probably cave. Then again, I haven't gone hi-def yet either so I'll have to buy the whole series AGAIN at that point.

3. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

Here are the details on the new boxset that I posted in another thread earlier in the week ...

Speaking of Friday the 13th, Paramount just announced a new boxset of the 8 DVD special editions due out on 10/4. Each boxset is individually numbered (out of 50,000 units) and includes a replica mask and 8 page booklet. If only it were a Blu-Ray set ...

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I got all excited for a second, now I'm just pissed.

~Matt

5. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Regarding a reissue of the 2009 F13: I cannot imagine New Line/WB putting out another version of F13 with a fucked up aspect ratio--it makes no sense at all. More than likely, it's a reissue of the same disc, but without the digital copy.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Where's the bluray box set?:confused:

7. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Just keep rehashing the disc's we have already.Why not put 4 through JTM on BD??? That doesnt make any sense to them.

Sean

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Why not release a blu box set. I'd buy that straight away.

9. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

More Paramount bullshit, Yeah I appreciate that they released 1-3 on BD but come on...Where the fuck is part IV..It's been over 2 years since Part III was put out.

10. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I bought the original DVD releases (some w/ original cover art!) of parts 1 - 4 as they were released.

Then I bought the CLTM box set.

I skipped the DE DVDs, and picked up parts 1 - 3 Blu-rays ON SALE FOR CHEAP this past Halloween.

I have no intention of buying any more Paramount F13 movies until either a Blu-ray box set comes out, or I can get parts 4 - 8 on Blu individually ON SALE FOR CHEAP.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

and it's only $40 CAD? that's a pretty sweet price, even if the very concept of this box is insulting. i won't bite, though. i swore i'd wait for the blu rays (fuck a box set, i just want individual discs), and im gonna stick to that. if this had come out 5 years ago, though...

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I really like the packaging featuring the ORIGINAL title font. I'll bite.

14. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Fuckin Paramount. They're not getting another dime from me until they release 4-8 on blu-ray.

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Would it cost THAT much more to release these on blu-ray? I'm sure some fans will buy the DVD set, but 50,000? Probably not. They could have done half on DVD and half on blu-ray and they might sell them all. As it stands, I doubt they will sell them all and they will probably use this as an excuse not to release these on blu-ray because there isn't enough "demand", when they consistently ignore what the fans want and would gladly drop the cash down for.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Good point. That sounds exactly like something Paramount would say.

17. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Someone needs to inform Paramount that it's 2011 and DVD'S death Knell is getting louder by the day........BONG!!!

18. RidgeShark

RidgeShark New Member

I remember seeing copies of 4-8 at Big Lots for just a couple of bucks. You know what that means - they weren't big sellers and paramount was taking a loss trying to just get rid of them. This new set is just a repackaging of all the discs they couldn't sell the first and second time around. Maybe this third time with the limited edition packaging will be the charm. If not, and this limited edition set also ends up at Big Lots for $10, then you know there's no way in hell they'll release an uber-bluray boxset anytime soon. Paramount will probably be thanking their lucky stars if they can get rid of all 50,000 sets containing the old discs that have been languishing in their warehouses. I'm starting to feel we were pretty damn lucky just to get the special edition DVDs of 4-8.

19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The crummy thing is that two years back I was on Paramount's side. They were releasing the new DVD special editions first, but the blu-rays APPEARED to be right around the corner and if I remember correctly we were even given the notion of such. I was more than happy to wait a little longer for the blu's, as long as they were actually coming out. Then they just fucking bailed on that idea.

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm not one to bitch about cover art as in the end it is pretty inconsequential, but they probably could have raised their profits if they hadn't spent the time and money creating those shit-tastic covers for the special editions.