Upcoming Friday The 13th Blu-Rays, DVDs & Boxset From Paramount

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Shawn Francis, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It looks like Warner are re-releasing a TON of previous Paramount DVD's and Blu-rays, but nothing "new" as of yet.

Where's the rest of the sequels, and unreleased stuff like The Keep? Half of these re-releases are of ones that are still readily in print and in stock everywhere via the old issues from Paramount. It just doesn't make much sense.

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Not yet. I would think you've still got time.

And, as a fan, Part 8 is easily one of the more packed discs. Buy it for extras alone. The deleted scenes are in excellent shape, the gag reel is a really nice 4-minutes (you won't remember that it was too short, you'll remember that it was nice), cast audio commentary, the featurette is the longest of any of the movies- it's at least about 30 minutes for video bonuses alone (there are a lot of deleted scenes, but I think most of them give you about 15 extra seconds average- except for Rennie's extended dialogue in the scene where Sean rescues her from drowning, oh and the Other Death Scene of the boxer which in this version focuses more on the crazy custodian guy who goes on a very odd drinking bender or something- it's a remarkable 45 or so seconds). Either way, it all adds up.

The 5th disc is not for hardcore fans of the movie. That one still gets shafted a bit. The audio commentary is disorganized at best and sloppy most of the time. Between that and the featurette which is also less solid in terms of retrospective observations. You mainly just go: "hi, I recognize you" with the guy who played Roy and the girl who played Violet. Who I believe is Brooke Bundy's daughter (who of course is Kristen's mother in Nightmare on Elm Street 3 & 4). That's about it (you get to see maybe 5 cast members but they don't say enough). Harry Manfredini has the only semi-interesting things to say. Except when the director hints at Paramount being overly conservative and restrictive to sexuality. But I won't go so far as to say it was His Name Was Jason level bad. It's just too sloppy. Which people are free to theorize is because this was the worst film in the series but, I have found really interesting things about it on the website that chronicled where the actors ended up and whatnot. Carol Locatel gave them a great little interview about playing Ethel and she might have been an interesting person to dig up. As it stands, John Shepherd (spelling?) tries to be professional and give real insight, the director acts like an old Uncle whose kids were fans of it (and a bit of a sleaze), and Shavar Ross tries to tell jokes. And parade his "I'm a fan of Jesus" love several times, if I'm not mistaken.

The 7th disc is also something of a must-have. It might be the only one with a serious research topic featurette on it, about people with psycho/telekinetic abilities. Which is excellent. You get more Lar Park Lincoln interview footage (and I'm talking footage that didn't make it onto the 2004 boxset but has her in the exact same purple-curtained backdrop), and she is my favorite person on the new audio commentary (she has some very good behind-the-scenes stories, though they might be short it's a huge pleasure hearing them) though she's recorded separately from Kane Hodder and stitched in every now and then. The deleted scenes are in bad shape but it's still great to have them, finally we get to see more story with the Eddie character and we get to see how Nick and Tina randomly happened to find themselves together skipping stones at the lake. This is for the hardcore fans and I was pleased. The new featurette is good too because between that and the commentary, you really get to know more about Barbara Sachs, the associate / co-producer who changed so much of Buechler's original ideas.

Oh, and the video and audio quality on the discs for 5 and 7 are serious steps up from the old discs. HD of course has screenshots.

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I sure hope this isnt to test sales of the F13TH FILMS if so we will never get the rest of the series in HD. i dont think anyone will be buying these bare bones rerelease editions dvd or blu-ray:(

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thats pretty much the reason why i'd pick any of them up. with blu ray on the market, it just doesn't make sense to me to replace a dvd with another dvd for whatever A/V upgrade there might be. initially i was going to hold off completely, but seeing parts 4 and 6 for so cheap, i figured i could buy them for the extras now and make my money back selling them at a pawn shop when they were released on BD. now, thanks to this switcheroo, i'm not sure if i should just jump on the other 3, just to get the extras on all of them.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

It depends on how much of a dork you are. I am, for this series- so I had to have the new discs. Even for part 5, in the vein hope that finally someone would take the movie seriously. And I was overly wowed by what some would consider meager offerings. But I could tell that you were hesitant from the getgo, so I guess maybe you should pass. Plus, there's always the chance that you might expect more than I do. I mean, I think the disc for 8 easily stacks up next to the 4th deluxe edition. Only with no fake docu-interviews with people pretending Jason was real bullshit. Or fan fluff commentaries. I give the 8th movie DVD 2nd place in rank of the deluxes (after the first movie, of course). Not a single piece of fluff anywhere. I can almost guarantee you Warner will never bother to give any new extras to 7 and 8.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i just ordered them...so...yeah :D

$10 each from amazon with free shipping. even if they do eventually make their way to BD, i won't feel too bad about this.

7. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I was going to order the deluxe version of part 8 but read the news about the Blu-ray release. I think part 8 is one of the better movies in the series. I guess we'll see what happens with this series on Blu-ray in the next month or so. I'm curious what version of part 6 they will use. This site has a good review comparing the picture quality and colors of the normal and deluxe versions.

8. Korngold

Korngold New Member

I'll be honest with you guys I'm not expecting anything over the moon with the new blu ray release. WB has the Nightmare on Elm Street series and decided to go with the same specs as their UK set.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm not counting on Warner going crazy on these either, just look how they re-release their own stuff over and over again and don't even improve anything.

I'd really prefer they release them individually than in some cheap knockoff set. The Nightmare Blu-ray set has super-lame packaging compared to the original DVD set for instance. But knowing Warner, they'll probably just shove two Friday sequels onto single discs regardless.

10. Jack Grendel

Jack Grendel Member

I don't care as long as they release them, it's been too damn long

11. Spacetraveler

Spacetraveler Member

When do you think WB will make an announcement on the release? Later this year could be anytime after today lol.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Even if they do release them with the same specs as the Paramount deluxe editions, there's still a lot of stuff in the way of special features. Most of those releases are pretty fuckin stacked.

~Matt

13. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

To be honest, I really don't care if they include special features or not, I just want the films in HD. Any craving for special features should be satiated by the upcoming Crystal Lake Memories documentary which apparently is going to be EXHAUSTIVE!

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

^ seconded.

~Matt

15. fceurich39

i was a little disapointed also with the quality of the nightmare blu-ray set i wasnt blown away with the transfers other than the already released first film and luckily my set didnt have any freezing video/audio errors that alot of people have been posting online about their box sets have.

16. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Was it really serious? Is it exposing them as cases of fraud? Or as instances of how in olden days people believed silly things?

Otherwise.... :lol::lol::lol:

17. Spacetraveler

Spacetraveler Member

Do you think it's more likely WB will package all discs into one boxset or each movie will have its own box with (hopefully) the original theatrical art?

18. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I'm betting you can pretty much count on a box set just like the one they released for the Nightmare on Elm Street series. To be honest, I'm surprised we even got a bonus disc with that set, but I wouldn't expect too much in the way of bells and whistles. I think anything they would include is filler we've all seen before. I don't see them going out of their way or spending money to include anything new. Horror always gets dumped into the market half-assed by major studios. As far as using any original theatrical key art, you can remove that hope straight from your heart right now, cause major studios love to "modernize" everything. Just look at the artwork on the Nightmare on Elm Street box set. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have it but Jesus Christ was that not only ugly, it managed to be lazy and boring all at the same time. But like I've said before, you can give them to me in a brown paper bag at this point, just give them to me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  19. fceurich39

20. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Huh... I hadn't heard about that yet... and I was planning on buying the NoES once it goes wide on March 5.